Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: 2 Posting (Cant Find 1st one) SAMPLE VOLUMES Not Staying And Crashing With Other Video Window Pops Up!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

DJ KyriPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Hello...

OK Problem I think.
#1. I set the Sample Volumes and when i shut the program down and turn it back on ALL the Samples are at Max. Volume.. (scared the crap out of me.. lol)

#2. I use a MC 6000 and when i click on the 2 knobs in the middle of the controller, the Right one in particular, (it's supposed to pop up a video monitor) well mine does but also freezes and when i go to shut that window ONLY the whole program gets stuck and/or it asks me if i WANT TO WAIT or TO SHUT THE PROGRAM DOWN?

if im correct and i think i had is set some how on ver. 7, where if im not in the video screen of the mixer and i press the button nothing pops up.....

Even so I should be able to "x" out of that little window with out having hang up anywhere..

so it's that Window thing AND The Volumes on the samples NOT STAYING after being Set...

Posted Sat 14 Jun 14 @ 4:13 pm
Yes, unfortunately the sample volume thing is "as designed". Many people have mentioned it and asked for it to be changed.

Posted Sat 14 Jun 14 @ 6:56 pm
Does anyone know anything about the Sample thing.. is it being worked on.... (i thought it was fixed) either way.. any info from anywhere!!!??

Posted Sun 15 Jun 14 @ 1:14 am
Any Updates on the SAMPLE VOLUME ISSUE... If I set the Volumes on the samples, on the side view, it would be nice if the volumes to stay where i set them INSTEAD OF CHANGING TO FULL EVERYTHING I FLIP THE THE BANKS!...?

Anything ????? lol

Posted Sat 28 Jun 14 @ 2:18 pm
Change the gain values for your samples in the sample editor - these are saved and remembered between sessions.

Whether the actual volume sliders in the side view will change I don't know.

Posted Sat 28 Jun 14 @ 2:31 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
As stated multiple times in other threads, consider the sample slots as mini decks (rough approach but thats the only one o can think of at the moment)..so it makes sense to have those at 100% each time you relaunch the software (or even if you change banks). the volume sliders are there to help you mix those "mini-sample" decks with the other ones. so they are considered more than live mixing faders rather than "memorized" ones. for that purpose, each sample can have a separate Gain value (in the Sample Editor). I suppose the reason you need to leave one Sample at e.g. 50% volume, is that it sounds more than some others.. so exactly like your tracks, you need to adjust the Gains of your samples in order all to have equal output level.

Posted Sat 28 Jun 14 @ 5:35 pm
djdad wrote :
As stated multiple times in other threads, consider the sample slots as mini decks

My reply to you last time was that the deck faders don't reset to max when you load a new track. You can move them down and they stay where they are.

Consider a mixing desk, with each sample playing through a separate channel. The faders control the blend between the various samples. They don't reset if you play something else through that channel. This is what people expect from what are effectively the sampler 'channel faders'.

Posted Sat 28 Jun 14 @ 6:09 pm
Agreed, when changing banks the faders should hold their positions. Thats something that could probably be addressed.

Posted Sat 28 Jun 14 @ 6:27 pm
In the POI editor yes i can ajust the gains..... but if i just move the volume in the sample bank then change banks and go back to the original bank i ADJUSTED.. while the program is STILL RUNNING. The volume goes back up to 100% in the original bank...

Posted Mon 30 Jun 14 @ 10:16 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
You should alter the gain in the sample editor (Edit column, or right-click edit in the sampler list, or ctrl+right-click in the sample pad view)

Posted Tue 01 Jul 14 @ 4:02 am
People are requesting that the main sample volume faders retain their position (like they did in VDJ 7, and like the deck channel faders do).

Having to edit each sample gain is inconvenient.

As I wrote in the wishes forum a month ago:
The sampler slots should work in a manner similar to the standard decks:

For instance, when using an already existing sample file (e.g. WAV, MP3 etc.) the info about that file should be stored to the database, not written to a new file.

The playback volume (fader on GUI) set for each sample should be remembered/stored in the database, so that when that file is loaded again, the volume is set to the remembered position. Currently the only way to set playback volume is to edit each sample, change the gain then save (which creates new files - see above).

The volumes need to be settable quickly (on screen) not hidden behind the edit menu - edit/change/save.

Each sample slot needs its own record button so that the user can decide where the sample will record to. Currently a file gets created in the Recordings folder rather than to a slot/pad directly. The name of the sample should initially be taken from the track title.

The ability to swap between loop and drop needs to be available on the main sampler GUI also, so the user can switch on the fly.

Posted Tue 01 Jul 14 @ 4:49 am
But you only have to change the gain once.

If you never change the volume of the sample then simply adjust the gain to the volume you want, save and your done.

I don't see this as a major issue and I use ALOT or sample and clips.

Posted Tue 01 Jul 14 @ 7:14 am
To me it seems logical that the sample volume controls should work in exactly the same fashion as the mixer channel volume controls.

Set the volume for that channel to where you want it - and it stays there.

The mixer works like that (so do real hardware mixers) so why not the sample volumes? It's effectively a sample mixer section (reminder - they worked that way in 7).

On the decks we have auto gain, that evens out variations between tracks. We don't have that on the sampler.

We don't even have the option to insert a compressor or other effect into the sample audio chain - even when it's routed via a deck (where logically it should go via the EQ, effects, gain etc. of the deck).

Repeatedly telling us to use the gain doesn't justify the resetting. The users have spoken. They find the behaviour odd.

Question: If the sample volumes reset constantly when switching banks etc., and we are forced to adjust via the gains - why bother putting volume controls there in the first place?

I don't know any other audio program that resets volume controls in this fashion - and I've used a lot!

Posted Tue 01 Jul 14 @ 8:43 am
this is simply not the way a professional dj software should handle SAMPLES. it was an issue in v7, and now we get REWRITTEN software acting EXACTLY like v7. No, just no. Tractor & Serato do not act this way. Atomix, you certainly missed the boat on controllers and sampler deck interaction

Posted Tue 01 Jul 14 @ 9:37 pm
No, we have not missed that. On the contrary, we are following the market. If you take a look at the most recent midi controllers that hit the market, you will realize that the Sampler is actually deck independent and most of them only offer a Master Sampler volume knob and a bunch of pads (with velocity or not) to trigger samples. There is no Volume Control per Sample, and no Sample Select knob/rotary either.
Version 7 was working in a wrong way regarding the Samples. It was offering all actions and controls based on the "selected sample", which was making all kind of issues ..e.g. you trigger a sample (aka select it), then another one (2nd one is now selected), and then by stopping the 1st sample, you couldnt control the volume (and probably the loop) of the currently playing one (2nd), as the 1st one had become selected.
So , i really cant imagine, how a dj could really control all the Volumes of the Samples with a single knob. Probably an additional Midi controller with 12 knobs to control the Volumes of each Sample would be needed, which of course doesnt make sense for live situation.
Since build 1870, action sampler_volume_master is now offered to control the Master Volume of the Sample Output, which imo is really useful and that is the way we should treat Sampler. It makes sense to me to make sure your all of your Samples have the proper Gain adjusted (in order to sound equally when their volumes are at 100%), and simply use the Master Sampler knob to adjust the overall output.
I can think of several cases that yu may need to individually control the Volume of each sample, but in live situations i think that its too much for a dj to take care (know which one is selected, or having multiple sampler volume controls for each one of them)
`
One other think that you may find useful with the way the Sampler works, is that if you are using Pads with velocity to trigger Samples, you will probably end up with Samples having very low Volume if you switch to a mode without velocity, or the unit provides a way to turn that off. Changing the bank back and forth , will bring all your Samples back to the desired volume status, without the need manually adjust them one by one.

Really, i would like to hear from you guys, how do you really use Sampler, and how the "Volume issue" affect yoru live performance.

Posted Tue 01 Jul 14 @ 10:09 pm
Me personally if I have to adjust Each and every sample volume to my liking that's fine...

But here is an example when I DJ'ed live with my Denon MC 6000 ...... i was able to press the Sample button on it and the Sample panel would pop up.. Then i can activate the Siren and then i would be able to "ride" up and down the volume on that sample....

Ok back to VDJ 8

i know just from looking at the program and the controller.. UNLESS Denon comes up with a newer mapping for it. (which i doubt cause the mk2 is their flagship right now).... It would be cool if i was able to get to the Sample window at least from my controller... and it would be even better if i was able to control the volume with my controller and better than that if the volume would stay.. BUT LIKE I SAID THE VOLUME PART AS IM UNDERSTANDING ILL JUST GAIN IT ALL

OK let me add. The Denon mc6000 has the 2 knobs in the middle..for Tractor those 2 knobs are the Filter effect knobs.. for VDJ7.4.1 those knobs were from video but mostrly when the sample window was active the controlled the volume for that SELECTED sample..

Ending....... Either which way, without making it more complicated i originally stated or asked for the volume to stay and THATS It....
im going to go and check out the action sampler_volume_master and see what that's about and maybe, hey, that's all i needed for my personal liking....

at the end of the day... IF WE ALL WANTED TO REALY GET CRAZY WITH THE SAMPLE... WE CAN GET A MIDI FIGHTER OR THE NI. sample pad thing (forgot the name of it or can't think of it right now) and we can map it out and go bananas.... if we are not REMIXING LIVE.. then OK.. it is what it is!!...

Again I was just asking/wondering

Thanks for the input tho djdad!!.... awesome!!

Posted Tue 01 Jul 14 @ 11:42 pm
Umm stupid question... where do i find the

action sampler_volume_master <----??? ill go and continue looking for that.. until i hear back from you guys!!! Thanks!

Posted Tue 01 Jul 14 @ 11:44 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
It's available in builds >= 1870.

Make sure you have the latest update installed.

Posted Wed 02 Jul 14 @ 3:52 am
i do.. but where is it.. or how do i activate it.... or is it automatic???

Posted Thu 03 Jul 14 @ 4:50 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Should be a normal action.
Either you go into the mappers section of settings, or open the custom button config window by clicking on an empty custom button.
Now type "sampler" into the action textfield and VDJ should show you all available actions containing "sampler".

Posted Fri 04 Jul 14 @ 2:10 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)