Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Virtual Folders

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

jbezzPRO InfinityMember since 2010
With VDJ 7.4.1 I was able to take my external hard drive from one PC and connect it to my backup PC and the second PC would recognize all of my virtual folders and I could drag any track from any virtual folder onto a platter. When I do the same thing with VDJ 8 all my virtual folders appear but I get an "error" when I try to drag any track onto a platter. I can't load any tracks from my virtual folders on my backup PC. If I connect it back to my main PC it is fine. The drive letter is "E" when the external drive is installed on both machines. Any ideas please!

Posted Mon 09 Jun 14 @ 3:26 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Virtual folders are not part of the database.xml. Those are stored in a VirtualDj folder inside the root directory of each external Hard Drive or inside the MyDocuments/VirtualDJ folder for the C Drive.
So if you have a backup Hard Drive, you will need to copy those folders too and not just the database.xml file.

Posted Mon 09 Jun 14 @ 3:30 pm
Its not a backup hard drive.. It is the main drive with all my music that I want to use with backup PC. Works great on my main PC, not on backup PC.

Posted Mon 09 Jun 14 @ 3:34 pm
I'll like to be able to unplug external hard drive and plug it into backup PC without copying files if my main PC crashes at a gig.

Posted Mon 09 Jun 14 @ 3:36 pm
Virtual folders are recognized on backup PC...all song titles are listed, problem is I'm not able to load them.

Posted Mon 09 Jun 14 @ 3:42 pm

Posted Mon 09 Jun 14 @ 5:11 pm
Anyone?

Posted Mon 09 Jun 14 @ 7:11 pm
When you installed VDJ 8 on the backup PC, was the external drive connected?

You could also check one of the files in the folder directory (on the ext drive) to see if the path to your tracks is correct. You can open it with Notepad.

Posted Mon 09 Jun 14 @ 7:16 pm
The hard drive was not connected when I installed VDJ8 and I will check the path. Thank You

Posted Mon 09 Jun 14 @ 7:26 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Also, if you load a track to the deck and it says 'error', you could right-click the track and open the Tag Editor to check the path that vdj has tried to open.
This might give some insight in what's wrong as well.

Posted Mon 09 Jun 14 @ 9:27 pm
I did as Adion suggested, and then changed the drive letter to match the information in the tag editor. Virtual folders are back and running. To change the drive letter in windows, go to control panel, administrative tools, computer management. In computer management, you'll see "Disk Management" on the side menu. Click that. Right Click on your drive and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths". Change the drive letter to match the path for your virtual folders.
My videos were showing the music icon in the folders, but after rescanning for bpm the icon returned to video....

Posted Thu 26 Jun 14 @ 12:10 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)