Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: request to have limiter enable /disable option - Page: 5

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

George, I think the main problem people have with the VDJ 8 limiter is the detrimental way it affects the sound.

If it just controlled things and "put a lid on it" then people wouldn't be complaining (or even noticing that it was there), but unfortunately what it does is very obvious.

If you've not tried already, have a listen to the way the Loudmax plugin limits the sound.

A very famous one is the Waves L1 Maximizer, but that costs money. Loudmax is free and still does a better job than the VDJ 8 one.

Posted Mon 15 Sep 14 @ 6:19 pm
I just disable the VDJ auto gain, run my MP3s through mp3gain at 94db and have the deck levels at 80%. Sounds fine to me.

I have never used the VDJ auto gain for the reasons stated above.

Posted Tue 16 Sep 14 @ 1:46 am
Regardless of who is right or wrong, all I know is this, I NEVER had so many issues with the gains and the LIMITER. Just ask the devs to make the limiter optional and let ourselves learn from our mistakes if need be.

Posted Tue 16 Sep 14 @ 6:46 pm
groovindj wrote :
George, I think the main problem people have with the VDJ 8 limiter is the detrimental way it affects the sound.
If it just controlled things and "put a lid on it" then people wouldn't be complaining (or even noticing that it was there), but unfortunately what it does is very obvious.

My thoughts exactly, an active limiter should pretty much be un-audible. But with VDJ8 event a tiny peak can have a lasting effect on the audio. I've noticed sometimes when I catch a peak, a single peak, the audio gets distorted for up to 1.5 seconds.

Posted Tue 16 Sep 14 @ 6:56 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
You get it wrong here.
No matter if the limiter is "transparent" (like the expensive mastering studio limiters) or you can hear the changes it does, you DON'T want the limiter to kick in and alter your sound. The fact that you hear it in this case is only a sign that you must make adjustments to prevent limiter to kick in. Disable it is not the NOT the solution, distortion will be added instead of the limiter effect.

zacek100 wrote :
confused... how's this going to help with the VDJ8 limiter distortion?

And here we go to make it easy for you.
Ignore all these wonderful technical details posted in this topic, and just follow these two easy instructions :

- Set autogain to "Auto" instead of auto+Remember. Do not adjust the gain manually, auto-gain works just fine.

- Set ZeroDB lower, try 0.7, this is about -3 threshold. (Reload the track to update)
Depending on your mixing style if you use several plugins or eq, you might need to go lower.

That's it.
Easy ? i hope so.

Tip : mix using the level faders at average 70-80% so you can have some more volume in case you load a quiet track or intro.
You can also correct with the master knob instead of gains. Again the master should not be at max to allow you adjust it.

Posted Thu 18 Sep 14 @ 8:01 pm
apopsis wrote :
No matter if the limiter is "transparent" (like the expensive mastering studio limiters) or you can hear the changes it does, you DON'T want the limiter to kick in and alter your sound. The fact that you hear it in this case is only a sign that you must make adjustments to prevent limiter to kick in. Disable it is not the NOT the solution, distortion will be added instead of the limiter effect.

No, you are wrong. If someone doesn't want the limiter, that person can choose using it or not. Don't say that we should using it. The people who use VDJ 8 without limiter aren't babies, they have theirs own experiences of it. It's my choice if I don't want to use the limiter, not you to force us to use it.

Posted Fri 19 Sep 14 @ 11:15 am
well I guess I started a true topic I have just one question if limiter to atomix was so much important then tell me this why wasn't it imposed in previous versions I believe it was an option especially in 7 and if I remember audio problems were brought then cause of the limiter does activate when u first start the software in 7 but u did have the choice to disable and I didn't see no problems when users did disable it , be nice if u had full control over the audio with out restrictions to customize so its no about more volume its about not having volume unless u push it with a high power amp why even have volume control on the software if the only way u can hear ur sound is with only amp I use vdj for broadcasting I don't use an amp for sound just sound card so if the volume is set low the transmit output is going to be low to the only volume I have is in the software AND NOOO IT DOESNT DISTORT I CAN PROVE IT IT THANK U

Posted Fri 19 Sep 14 @ 2:05 pm
if you are not getting the desired output level from vdj8 u could always use a free or paid for volume maximizer vst plugin on the master output to up the volume levels just a thought for those that want more output but i am sure it will still sound bad if you go over zero db as with any digital signal.

Posted Fri 19 Sep 14 @ 2:09 pm
By the way, I should clarify that when I say LIMITER being active I do not mean the track levels are too high. As the track by itself is properly calibrated as to where the LIMITER does not come on at all. The issue is in the short time during the CrossOver or when the track being merged is not being played in its original tempo.

Posted Mon 22 Sep 14 @ 5:47 pm

Posted Tue 23 Sep 14 @ 5:45 am
What's a good tool to record? (from the computer that is)

Posted Wed 08 Oct 14 @ 1:25 am

Posted Wed 08 Oct 14 @ 3:20 am
What does the ZeroDB setting do, it changes the gain reading for the track but doesn't seem to physically alter the output volume even after reloading?

Keith

Posted Wed 08 Oct 14 @ 7:00 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
It's a reference value for autoGain. zeroDB 1.0 = 0 dBA

Posted Wed 08 Oct 14 @ 7:02 am
It does alter the sound output of the deck.
But: 1) Your gain setting must be to auto, not auto+remember and 2) You need to reload the track.

PS: Reloading a track on version 8 is different than previous versions. You need to unload the deck or load another track before loading the same track again.
Loading the same track again on a deck that the track is allready loaded will NOT reload it!!!

Posted Wed 08 Oct 14 @ 7:06 am
I have autogain disabled as I use mp3gain instead. That explains why.

Posted Wed 08 Oct 14 @ 7:23 am
groovindj wrote :
Click this link

LoL, I meant a screen capturing program, the one used for tutorials, etc...

Posted Wed 08 Oct 14 @ 2:04 pm
I ran 8 at last week's gig for the first time. When running external USB outputs, I just turned down the master output to 50% and turn my QSC speaker gains up to +3 db to give myself a lot of headroom so I didn't push my mixer near the red. The limiter is not an option in this mode, but it never compressed the sound at all and it sounded beautiful even at the highest volumes. No distortion whatsoever.

In VDJ 7.4, I had the limiter on and the headroom set at +6 db. It sounds better in my own VDJ 8 configuration than with the headroom and limiter options in 7.4. I would suggest watching your master volume and it solves any compression issues.

I'm sure someone more tech savvy than my addled brain could help more.

Posted Fri 17 Jul 15 @ 7:05 am
I have been a Sound Engineer for over 40 years for professional live Bands and Sound Systems. The VDJ 8 Limiter is very sensitive and needs work. I too have noticed that the sound from 8 is not as clean as 7.
VDJ 7 has more Dynamic punch to it without clipping and distortion. VDJ 8 saturates it's sounds very easily. I also would prefer to turn off the limiter. I have done several thousands of gigs myself and have never blown speakers or allowed clipping at my gigs, even when I was saturated with Alcohol, LOL, but not funny now at my age. I always was very proud of my sound systems and was always rewarded with good feedback from my Clients, of my excellent sound quality, not to brag but it is very important to be the best you can when it comes to high quality music and being the announcer MC.
All in all I completely agree with all those that have posted the problem.
Jon J.

Posted Fri 17 Jul 15 @ 6:58 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
With the same autoGain and zeroDb settings, there's only 2 options
-You did have clipping in vdj7, and you like this distortion (it gives 'punch'). In this case vdj8 will compress the sound instead, preserving all frequencies, but giving a little bit of a pumping sound when too extreme.
-You did not have clipping in vdj7. In this case you will never have the limiter activating either, as it only activates as soon as you would have had clipping otherwise.

If you think this is not the case, feel free to make a short recording both in vdj7 and vdj8 with the same volume/gain/song so that it's more clear what you mean by 'punch'

Posted Fri 17 Jul 15 @ 11:50 pm
83%