Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: So, how many people have used V8 in a live gig setting? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I've been using 7.4 religiously at gigs, but for the past 2 weeks I have used V8 almost every day at home for 1-2 hours. I'm trying to make sure its 100% stable, and I have all my settings exactly as how I have them in V7. I'm really putting the software through major work and beating the crap out of it to see if any problems arise. Plus I want to know the new version inside and out so I'm able to pull off different things in a flash. I'm going to give it another 7-10 days, and I think I'll be in good shape to finally start using it live at club gigs but this weekend, I'm going to give it a full 4-5 hour workout to mimic an exact set at the club.

Who has used it live, how well did it go, and how long was the set?

Posted Tue 03 Jun 14 @ 7:15 am
Well, I had a wedding last weekend and used V8 for about 13 hours.

Exept for one crash while editing some automix- fades it was all fine. Luckily the audience were mostly relatives so they excused the sudden stop.

I realized several things that have to be worked on before I even think about using V8 on a payed set. Some video- effects seem to have problems with several skins (no idea how they influence each other),
after 8 hours non-stop-playing I've had several "Try to restore the program or quit"- messages (I was very happy to see that Win7 managed to restore VDJ even without interrupting sound output). It was not possible
to switch between file- browser and sidelist vie the nav- buttons on my Hercules RMX (this bug should be fixed by now - will have a try) and file- operations (placement in side-/automix-list) were more than a 'try and
see what happens' (not very amusing if they want to perform their wedding dance and you don't manage to drag it to the right position - perhaps i should use the automix less). Even focus the search-field by mouse
needed several tries before success.

I have to check it some of the problems are due to the skin... maybe it's not that worse as I think...

Posted Tue 03 Jun 14 @ 7:47 am
Well I have used it previously at my club gig but it always crashed after 3 hours or so. I decided to do an experiment with it this past Saturday. Normally I would download song request videos and go on the internet during the evening but this time I stayed off the internet 100% and VDJ8 worked all evening without a hiccup. Whole evening being from 6pm to 3 am(9hours). So what I found out is I used less resources and VDJ8 held up. I played video the whole evening as well. I don't play mp3's unless I don't have the video. Very rare... I have my logo running all the time but I didn't use any other effects, etc. I was a bit on edge for the last few hours of playing but like I said that's the first time without a problem. I can't wait to see more video effects and a few other tweaks as they move ahead.

Posted Tue 03 Jun 14 @ 7:50 am
FalkR1979 wrote :
I realized several things that have to be worked on before I even think about using V8 on a payed set. Some video- effects seem to have problems with several skins (no idea how they influence each other),

The Video effects need to be ported to V8 one by one so ensure only to use effects made for v8 at the moment or at least well tested version 7 effects.

Greets, Heiko

Posted Tue 03 Jun 14 @ 8:08 am
Quote :
The Video effects need to be ported to V8 one by one

May be... But I am shure the Colorize- effect worked on one skin (I think it was Tayla made Video) but gives a blank screen on an other one... Will figure it out this evening...

Posted Tue 03 Jun 14 @ 8:48 am
The colorize effect is reported as broken and will hopefully be fixed in the next build.

Posted Tue 03 Jun 14 @ 8:49 am
I've used VD8 seven times live, each time was over 5hrs, the longest being 7hrs, because there is no wifi in the club I DJ in - I used my phones 4G connection for internet use. It crashed for the 1st time on Friday night after 3hrs complete with blue screen, then crashed once more half hour later with no blue screen - just instant reboot. One thing I did notice is that VD8 kept a record of all the songs played up to each crash and carried on recording the history like nothing happened (that I like). I suspect the first crash was camera related because I accidentally triggered that mode which may have caused it, where as the 2nd crash could have been something else. I'm doing another live gig tonight (Tuesday June 3rd) which is a 7 hour set, and i'll be recording it too in flac or WAV rather than mp3. I'll report any hiccups tomorrow

Posted Tue 03 Jun 14 @ 10:28 am
AsTheDJPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Now Im not doing the clubs ( 20 yr djing in clubs )I was playing the same type and same music every weekN,Im doing private party 4-5 x a month play diff gene music and I tried to use VDJ-8 on one that was simple 8-graders prom and had a hard time using VDJ-8,Not because it was new had a hard time pulling my music I set up and made folder with song,a lot of errors pop up in the decks when I open 7.4.1 the music played ok.but I pull it through it was only 3hr but the club HELL NO Im using 7.4.1.VDJ-8 work very well with VDJ-radio and in my bed room for right now but when large portion of the bug are work out I will put 7.4.1 on the shelf and use VDJ-8.had a lot of dj call me about 8 and said VDJ-8 has step of the game of DJing now.give me 30 more days and some NEW effect like 7.4.1 then Im there all the was and not looking back.

Posted Tue 03 Jun 14 @ 11:05 am
I've used VDJ8 v8.0 1819.678 on OSX 10.9.3
Saturday May 31, 2014
Played from 3pm-10pm at club (at party)
used: regular 2 deck mixing, samplers, sidelist, ns6 controller
Worked well for me, no crashes

Only funny thing I noticed, when I load song some tracks, the volume on deck drops to bout 10 o'clock.

Posted Tue 03 Jun 14 @ 11:53 am
I used it live on Saturday and it went good. Other then locking my computer during dinner music and it froze after I logged back in. I reset it and didn't have a problem with it after that. The only thing was the pre-listening to some songs was working intermittently. I don't do video and only play music but I use Content Unlimited and that was working fine as well. I started playing at 4pm and stopped at 1am and I use a Numark Mixdeck.

Posted Tue 03 Jun 14 @ 12:03 pm
I did three gigs, six, seven and ten hours! No crash because it did not touch where I had read the reports and took the greatest care. I only play HD videos (mp4) with MC6000 Dell XPS 8g 1t Nvidia 540M. Have uninstalled VDJ 7 and all old plugins, redid the entire database and keep participating in forums and training. Why is that? The difference in sound quality is amazing and deserves all this effort! Long live VDJ 8!

Posted Tue 03 Jun 14 @ 12:06 pm
I've used vdj8 4 times now for shoutcasting live 2 or 3 hr sets not a single issue so far.

windows 7 64bit - 8gb ram - pioneer ddj-ergo controller

keep up the great work dev team :-)

Posted Tue 03 Jun 14 @ 2:17 pm
I have ran it about 8 times now live , Six times at a bar , and 2 times at a Wedding . I have only had one problem , and VJ8 may not of been the cause . Could of been my laptop or the controller , or who knows . Any ways I was playing a song in deck 1 and then loaded a song in deck 2 , I was getting the song ready in deck 2 and hit the loop button on my Pioneer DDJ-SX and the whole right side froze . The song on the left side was still playing . I tried moving the jog wheel thinking maybe it was stuck , I even tried to load another song , nothing was working , event the pads , then sampler , hot cues dead dead dead , so i was running out of time , so I got on the mic and announced the cake cutting , then turned off the controller and VJ turned it back on , and it worked for the rest of the night . HMMMM..... ( 99% of the time I play Mp4 Video ) ( Windows 7 64 Bit 8 Gigs ram 2.3 GHz Alienware )

Posted Tue 03 Jun 14 @ 2:27 pm
I've done a wedding, 2 private parties (one a grad party the other a b-day party) and a bar gig out with VDJ8 and so far no problems.
I will say that I do not play videos at all but the only issue (which is minor) is that my cue points are all slightly off from VDJ7 (even when I seem to reset them, they are sometimes still slightly off but like I said it's nothing major.)
I can report, no crashes (i had none with VDJ7 ever but of course I don't do video which is where there seems to be problems with the crashing on the forums.)
I have the internet enabled (at all gigs other then the b-day party) and was succesfully able to play the rare request i didn't have from the content stream (this was actually an issue once in VDJ7 but I was using some slow conntection at the hall that I think caused my system to lag while trying to play a song in the content.)
The main thing of differnece I've noticed with VDJ8 is the sound quality, it seems sooo much better (not that was even bad before) and I know this will sound strange but with VDJ8 I can run my contoroller a bit harder (i know exactly what settings/levels I use for parties/weddings and bars/clubs) and there is no limit light on my sub (i run the EV ZXA1 sub and sometimes on certain songs the limit light would flash b4, but since i've been using VDJ8, it hasn't come on once, so IDK if the new design has something to do with this or not but I like it.)

Posted Tue 03 Jun 14 @ 3:41 pm
jucenicPRO InfinityMember since 2012
If you need to play video, keep using V7.
V8 so far is not working properly.

Posted Wed 04 Jun 14 @ 12:31 am
I have been using 3 nights a week in a club for over a month, 8 hour shifts, with Hercules RMX2. All video, and not one crash. Online, on the forum, Content unlimited, 3 video sites open in the background, plus Real player. Download videos while playing. ZoneAlarm anti virus running all night. One mobile with video, for 5 hours. Could not use for mobile gig, this past Sat, because I needed live camera feed, so had to use 7. Mobile gigs are done with MC6000. All of the great effects don't work yet, but that will come. Slide show and milkdrop work. I do not use a laptop, but a custom built desktop. Win 7, 16g RAM, NVidia 2g video card, 8TB storage and 128 SSD.

Posted Wed 04 Jun 14 @ 12:42 am
Used VDJ8 two weekends 5 gigs.

First weekend, Bank Holiday here in the UK, so an extra Sunday night for me.
Friday - My regular nightclub gig, all video. Quiet night as usual on a Bank Holiday Friday. VDJ8 ran for 4 1/2 hours without any problems.
Saturday - My new regular rock club gig, only 2 1/2 hours max after the bands. Don't have video output and usually play mainly mp3s although I play the sound from videos if I don't have the tune on mp3. Ran with no problems.
Sunday - My regular nightclub residency, all video. VDJ8 ran for 2 hours then had a major crash. Had to use my backup (iPod) and restarted in VDJ7. Found out later that I had 166 corrupted video files and a suspected hard drive about to fail.

New 2Tb hard drive bought and everything transfered from the 1Tb HD

Second weekend;
Friday - My regular nightclub gig, all video. Was very hot and at 3 hours into a 4 1/2 gig VDJ8 started to be sluggish trying to load the next video. VDJ8 eventually crashed, had to use my iPod backup, then re-boot the laptop and finish the night with VDJ7. I noticed that videos were getting analysed when they should have already been analysed. This would contribute to the heat issue (its been reported).
Saturday - My regular rock club gig. Ran VDJ8 with no issues.

Messed about on Monday doing heat tests and playing with various combinations to try and combat the heat issue. Got a utility that turns the laptop fans up to max, will use that this weekend. Yesterday I manually went through all my video folders and analysed every video as that's what I mainly use. next I'm going to analyse all my rock folders of mp3s. Eventually I will get to do all 25,000 mp3s, but, doing the mp3s that I use now is a start. Hopefully some of this will help reduce the heat issue I've experienced.

Keep the faith ;-)

Posted Wed 04 Jun 14 @ 6:02 am
i used it 2 times now.
-the 1rst one was with turnables and it seams to work great the when music is not loud. when bass influtes the turntables and needels the software starts to to flip out and the soundcard began to hum and crackle.
-the 2nd with mixtrack quad controller. ok, some mapping bugs ang gain problems. but it worked well for me.
both times i did not have a systemcrash and it worked all night long.

i don't wanna miss the ver8 because the sound quality is much better now!

Posted Wed 04 Jun 14 @ 6:24 am
Last night I ran V8 for 4 hours at home, all videos! About 2 hours in, had 3 crashes back to back using a DDJ-S1. Switched over to my turntables using DVS and all videos again, for the remaining 2 hours and no hiccups.

I did notice my laptop running pretty hot as well, which I never realized all of the other times using V8.

Posted Wed 04 Jun 14 @ 7:12 am
prasanfPRO InfinityMember since 2011
I have used it once. Last week. I kept it in the "safe zone" by sticking to only about 1 or two video effects and using a skin which has not given problems.

After about 4 hours into the night, I noticed that the song that was playing on the left deck had some pitch bending, while I was scratching on the right deck. It happened towards the end of the night. Very weird. At first I thought I was tired and hearing things, but it kept happening. Have not been able to reproduce that though.

The main gripe I have is that the audio bitrate for videos (and I ONLY play videos) is not shown. So when I search for a song, it is a bit difficult to figure out if the video I am about to load is a high quality one or an old low quality video which I have downloaded for editing. While playing RnB I have very little time inbetween songs so having this info displayed easily is very important.

The other small thing is that it does not keep the video links that version 7 has stored. So any tracks with Video links stayed like that during the gig, as it is no longer possible to just drag and drop a video link anymore.

I plan to use it again tonight. Audio quality is way better than 7.4

However, I probably won't use this on a weekend for a long time to come. Maybe next summer! :)

EDIT: Oh the reason for this caution is that while practicing at home I have had numerous crashes. The 4 deck skin keeps dropping audio for some reason and also whenever I do automix or video editing it crashes. Sometimes the crash is just for a second or two because VDJ has an auto recovery function, but for things like the audio drop out it requires manual restart and finding the song etc. I also have not had time to take out all the old version 7 effects so sometimes a non-compatible effect gets engaged and the thing just goes haywire.

Posted Wed 04 Jun 14 @ 7:35 am
59%