Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Why cant we download from this site

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

WHEN I CLICK DOWNLOAD IT TAKES ME TO DOWNLOAD.COM so disappointed I try to keep my machine clean and when I downloaded and installed BANG it installed other software.. FOXTELL.. WTF.. sorry my language but not happy.. please keep it as it was to used to be...

Posted Fri 30 May 14 @ 3:14 am
I have to agree. I refuse to download from filehosters that blatantly trick users into installing things on their machines that they don't want. If they have to trick you into installing something on your machine then it is most likely to contain spyware or viruses. Also, if they are happy to trick you into downloading stuff you don't want, then they are quite like lye willing to infect genuine downloads with their crap.
To me this looks so unprofessional.
If I were Atomix I don't think I would want to give out the impression that I condone a filehosters disgusting habits.
Are we really saying that Atomix cannot afford to host a file that is less than 40mb on its own servers?

Posted Fri 30 May 14 @ 7:18 am

Download.com is not a tricksters hosts ;) its a well established serious hosting company used by all the major brands.
And no 3rd party software gets installed with the VDJ installer either...

With the millions of users downloading, its better to host on a site like download.com specially tailored for this purpose.
But maybe for PRO users, we could have it available in account here too .. lets see ;)

bottom line though.. download.com is all safe, industry standard.. and is no different that say download from other hosts such as AppStore or Microsoft Market etc for other platforms ;)

Posted Fri 30 May 14 @ 7:50 am
download.com is definitely NOT supposed to make you install anything else.
If they do, they're doing this without our knowledge, and we'd terminate our contract with them immediately.
Can you describe exactly what happened and how you ended up with another application?

Posted Fri 30 May 14 @ 8:03 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
This is what you get when you choose to download VirtualDJ.

The first green box you see on the left side of the page is the one you need to choose, and no other application will be installed along with VirtualDJ.
However download.cnet adds some extra buttons there (and in the next page too , while you wait for the download to start automatically) to download other applications (adds), so most likely you have pressed that green box on the right side, and misled from the word "free" maybe ?

Posted Fri 30 May 14 @ 9:47 am
I agree!

Posted Fri 30 May 14 @ 9:55 am
When I click on a link from a website that I have purchased software from and it takes me to a another site to download it from alarm bells start ringing, especially when they have other buttons on their site designed to look the same as the download button for the software you actually want in order for you to accidentally install crap that you don't want, then on the next page where if you just wait your download will begin they have more buttons that again look the same, trying to make you think you need to to click again as the download you actually want doesn't start straight away, it is delayed on purpose because it happens every time you try to download.msuspicious as he'll if you ask me.
Needles to say the download of vdj from download.com has been scanned for virus/adware whereas my official 7.4.1 from my download area was 100% trusted by me.
Also the download button is in a grey box about the same size as those banner adverts, and the trick one has info like operating system required, version, etc so looks more like it should be the actual download but doesn't say anywhere what it is until you click it by mistake.

Posted Fri 30 May 14 @ 11:38 am
What's wrong with having the download direct from vdj site and a link to the download.com mirror on the same page for when the site get too busy?

Posted Fri 30 May 14 @ 11:47 am
bazoooPRO InfinityMember since 2007
TigerBlueDJ wrote :
What's wrong with having the download direct from vdj site and a link to the download.com mirror on the same page for when the site get too busy?

i also fell for it and had to waste time removing unwanted programmes

Posted Fri 30 May 14 @ 12:12 pm
ok users who have a paid license don't get the download.com page anymore.

(and to answer the question as to why we host our downloads on external servers, the reason is just that we want a trusted third-party to count our downloads, so that nobody can contest our download numbers)

Posted Fri 30 May 14 @ 1:14 pm
sclavel wrote :

(and to answer the question as to why we host our downloads on external servers, the reason is just that we want a trusted third-party to count our downloads, so that nobody can contest our download numbers)

Thank you for paid license downloads.
I understand the third party download counting, just think there must be a download site that either only shows the downloads or has a better layout so that the adverts look like adverts instead of the main downloads that people are after.
Thanks again though.

Posted Fri 30 May 14 @ 3:53 pm
djdad wrote :

The first green box you see on the left side of the page is the one you need to choose, and no other application will be installed along with VirtualDJ.
However download.cnet adds some extra buttons there (and in the next page too , while you wait for the download to start automatically) to download other applications (adds), so most likely you have pressed that green box on the right side, and misled from the word "free" maybe ?

actually is what happens while you begin the proccess of downloading.there's various stages and in there,in small print,will be a sponsor application and a check box to agree or not about downloading the other crap.the problem is..they all are doing this.they have managed to tame it a little but still...

Posted Fri 30 May 14 @ 5:06 pm
I feel safer now that my download comes directly from vdj. Thanks.

Posted Fri 30 May 14 @ 5:19 pm
djdad wrote :

We have contacted CBS about this, to make sure that they ban this particular misleading banner from their ads.

Posted Sat 31 May 14 @ 12:44 am
Thank you again.
Not only are Atomix giving us the best software, by getting download sites to remove misleading adverts you are helping clean up the web for everyone, (even those silly people that use other software.)

Posted Sat 31 May 14 @ 3:17 am
splaoPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Cnet used to be a great site for downloading programs and reviews. That was about 5 years ago. They then started with download trickery so you can install their installer and adware. As consumers, we are tired of adware, malware and viruses. We just want a secure (no trickery) link to the software we request to download. It's a shame because Cnet went from being the best site to download programs to one of the worst. Thank you for restoring the download on VDJ site. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Posted Sat 31 May 14 @ 9:24 am
sclavel wrote :

Thanks SClavel . The inital idea was floored as I just re-installed from my original download.

Posted Sat 31 May 14 @ 11:14 am
I consider myself a pretty seasoned internet (and IT in general) users. However. Even I have been fooled into downloading 'extras' or 'crapware' from Cnet. I now avoid them like the plague. Saying that plenty of other software hosting sites are just as bad these days. Hell even people you think you can trust install crapware (McAfee Security anyone?)

Posted Sat 31 May 14 @ 11:58 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)