Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: This weekends experiences with VirtualDJ 8 - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Thanks Adion
I was sure it was unlikely that VDJ caused the corruption as it would normally just read the file. In the past 2 weeks I have used Mixed In Key 6 on some folders to compare with VDJ8s results. MIK was set to change the Initialkey and Comment tags.

I used MIK on around 4,000 video files as a comparison test, I have around 8,000 videos and 25,000 mp3s. I will now go through all the folders on my entire databases with the Windows explorer to see what the damage is. Then I have already started a text file listing the files I want to get back. Many of the faulty files I probably have never used and will not waste my time getting them back.

Quick question; would you advise re-analysing the entire database for BPM & Key in VDJ8? I assume this does not affect VDJ7 database.

Here are the 4 offending files initially found;

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62367393/Snoop%20Dogg%20-%20Sweat%20(David%20Guetta%20Remix).mp4
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62367393/Tiesto%20f.%20Busta%20Rhymes%20-%20C'mon%20(Catch%20Em%20By%20Surprise).mp4
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62367393/Gyptian%20-%20Hold%20You%20(Major%20Laser%20Remix).mp4
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62367393/Pink%20-%20Raise%20Your%20Glass.mp4

Cheers
Les

Posted Tue 27 May 14 @ 4:00 am
Was gonna get another Seagate 1Tb but I didn't know that a 2Tb USB powered one was available. :-)

So, I've just bought a nice shiny new My Passport Ultra WD 2Tb HD with 3 year Warranty. USB 2.0, USB 3.0 & Windows 8 compatible and USB Powered.

It's gonna be busy copying my databases across to it. :-)
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I've gotta list faulty vids and try and replace them before Friday. It's all go go go......

Find anything with the dodgy files Adion???

Posted Wed 28 May 14 @ 10:49 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
They didn't play, however dragging them to the deck didn't make vdj crash for me, and I could simply load a new song after that.
In Media Player Classic, the tracks didn't have sound but strangely video came through after seeking. So looks like the tracks did get corrupted, but I didn't find out what could have caused that.

Posted Wed 28 May 14 @ 12:08 pm
OK, thanks for the feedback.

Just bought a new Hard Drive and copying all databases over to it.
Just in case the previous hard drive is going bad.

Posted Wed 28 May 14 @ 12:20 pm
DJSoulman: I'm pretty PC savvy and think you might be looking in the wrong place. If you defrag your external every week, there's a slim possibility that you corrupted that set of files with a bad defrag. (It happens.) ESPECIALLY if you use Windows crummy default defrag tool. There are a lot out there, but I choose to use Piriform's Defraggler. Also, even the slightest bump on a physical external drive, including the vibration from VERY LOUD music can cause damaging writes to the disc surfaces. There are many physical factors that could contribute to the corruption of your files, but the software packages would be the least likely.

Second, and I'm sure you've heard this before, get a BACKUP drive. Put everything on that drive, work from that drive and use something like Good Sync to sync the files you use regularly to the drive you connect to your laptop.

My technical recommendation is to get a nice 3tb WD MyBook external and start putting all your music on that as your base library. Then, get either the Maxtor Hybrid SSDHD or a straight Samsung SSD. You'll be amazed at the performance difference, and a true SSD never needs to be defragged and is vibration-proof.

Hope you figure things out, but if I were you, I'd give up on trying to find the culprit and move forward with a plan for it not to happen again.

Posted Wed 28 May 14 @ 1:11 pm
ewitlesPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I had an issue like this. Standard size HD w/ a cooling assy on it. Well, the assy started to vibrate and impacted the hd in a not so nice way. So, pulled and replaced and removed fan. Never issue since.

I tend to replace drives every other year regardless how many hours are on there.

Posted Wed 28 May 14 @ 1:49 pm
Thanks scot for your input, I know you are trying to help, but, did you read my post 3 posts above yours? or some of the previous posts further back in the thread?

Currently copying my databases to my swanky new WD 2tb hard drive. :-)

Posted Wed 28 May 14 @ 2:49 pm
Copied everything from my Seagate 1Tb to my new WD 2Tb overnight.

Disk performance tests have revealed that the Seagate 1Tb drive has very poor performance and is half the performance of the new WD 2Tb drive. It looks like the Seagate is getting tired, although it may be better after defragging.

Dazmax & Bagpuss, looks like you may have been right.

Gonna make the new WD my new Database drive and use the old Seagate as a backup.

Just checked my accounts, I bought the Seagate 1Tb in October, 2011 with a 2 year warranty. Just 7 months after the warranty has ran out, oh well.

Posted Thu 29 May 14 @ 7:08 am
Les,

You only need to defragment if there are huge file movements and data writes constantly or you're running out of space. In your case with audio and video files I wouldn't do it unless really needed. As above, constantly defragmenting can cause issues and just wears your drive down for no real benefits.

It was good to do in the old days when space was a premium but not now.

Keith

Posted Thu 29 May 14 @ 7:19 am
You might be right Keith, it's a habit I've got into over the years.

Athough I'm registered with Promo Only for daily downloads, I normally download everything on a Friday and set it up in the database. In VDJ7 check, clean, fix. Then use CCleaner, followed by a defrag of the internal C: drive and external USB drive. Been doing this on a weekly basis for years feeling that my setup was in the best possible condition for gigging.

Cheers
Les

Posted Thu 29 May 14 @ 7:32 am
rlovePRO InfinityMember since 2010
Les,

My process is very similar. (The POOL service is second to none!) However, as Keith mentioned, the defragging part is generally not needed too much any more. Perhaps defrag 2x per year or so and you will still be fine. (Also running ccleaner is only beneficial if you are making changes to the system like installing/removing software.)

Posted Thu 29 May 14 @ 8:04 am
You don't need any of that unless you encounter any problems. Work for nothing!

Keith

Posted Thu 29 May 14 @ 8:17 am
Agree with Keith here - if it's not broke you don't need to fix it.

Posted Thu 29 May 14 @ 8:28 am
Operation transfer is complete. Changed the drive letter on the new drive to the same as the old drive, all Virtual Folders, playlists, etc. are working as they should.

Just tried loading one of these faulty vids into VDJ7 and all it shows is the cue points and does nothing else.

Tried the same vids in VDJ8 and there's a crash, says;

VirtualDJ has stopped working, Windows is checking for a solution to the problem. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if there is a solution available.
Then a there's a box to Close Program.

Next job, extract all these faulty vids out of the database into a separate folder, then clean them out of the VDJ database. Start making a list of the ones I want replaced. They are from 2010 & 2011, some of them I'll probably never use.

Should have a pristine system again for this weekend's gigs. :-)

Posted Thu 29 May 14 @ 8:52 am
Checked the databases; The video database has 166 video files faulty 13.7Gbs in 4 folders. The mp3 database is unaffected.

Just need to go through them and list what I want replaced. Oh well, getting there ;-)

Posted Thu 29 May 14 @ 9:46 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)