Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: This weekends experiences with VirtualDJ 8 - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Did 3 gigs with VDJ8 over the weekend.

Friday nightclub residency (all video) - went OK, bit unsure finding my way around but did the full 4 1/2 hours without any issues. Used the built in Logo system with my own replacement logo.

Saturday new nightclub Rock residency (after the bands, sound only) - great to unleash VDJ8s power on a very loud system, I was louder than the band :-) It was great to hear the sound quality at very loud volume. No issues.

Sunday back to my nightclub residency with full video - used 2 moving graphics video sample logos I've developed permanently onscreen, looked like a Music TV channel :-) Was feeling a bit more comfortable than Friday as I had familiarised myself with mapping of my MC6000. Then....... 2 hours in tried loading a video into player 2 and it didn't load. The other player kept going for a few seconds then crash! The whole interface froze and the music stopped, full dance floor and the owner prowling about too. :-( Fader volume on my iPod pushed up immediately, dancing continued. Took over 10 minutes to shut down and re-boot everything, but, opted for VDJ7 for the rest of the night, no more dramas. Going back to VDJ7 for the rest of the night it was noticeable the drop in sound quality from using VDJ8 earlier. Before firing up VDJ7 I remembered to copy the MC6000 controller mapping that I use for VDJ7 into the mapping folder.

I noticed that some of my videos (mostly Promo Only) would not load when I went back to 7, they showed BPM & length but not the Key value. There were a few instances of songs I regularly play wouldn't load. I started to get nervous, I thought that 7 & 8 used different databases. It seemed like version 8 had affected version 7 database. Hmmmmm, can any devs throw some light on this?

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 5:30 am
VDJ8 creates it's own database in the root drive in a folder \VirtualDJ\

The old databases with the v6.xml at the end are left there and untouched AFAIK. Sorry to hear about the crash but it's still early days on v8.

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 8:51 am
Yeh, I already know that VDJ8 is not supposed to affect VDJ7 database. But, after a Windows re-boot then loaded up VDJ7 some of the videos I play regularly would not not even load into the players. Not just one, it was a few, had me really puzzled. Gonna have a look at them now and try and see what's going on.

Copied both databases up to dropbox for backup. ;-)

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 8:58 am
Right, just checked and with same two songs and reproduced the total lockup of VDJ8.

IT'S NOT VDJ8, the video files are corrupted!!! Can't believe it, they are from Promo Only and the video was Snoop Dogg - Sweat which has had 103 plays as I've obviously played it often since it's release in 2011.

Went back to version 7 and same thing, couldn't play it. Checked in Windows Media Player, it's recognised as an mp4, but, trying to play it in the media player it moves along but there is NO VIDEO and NO SOUND. When I found it in the folder from 2011 there is loads more video files not showing the thumbnail meaning they are probably the same. I've tried a few a to confirm. Checked with Malware Bytes and not found anything on the system.

Going for some further investigation.

GGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRR - 96 videos from 2011, 64 from 2010.
They are shown in the explorer window as mp4s with the size of the file but no length (time).
Windows Explorer can't play them in the Media Player and they are crashing VDJ7 and VDJ8 as many of these files I play regularly.
Dev's any clue what's wrong?????

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 11:08 am
Hopefully it's not VDJ 8 that's corrupted the files somehow.

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 11:11 am
DazmaxPRO InfinityMember since 2007
If these are stored on an external drive, is it possible that the drive is starting to become temperamental pre failing?
Just a thought

Daz

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 11:21 am
They are on an external Seagate 1tb USB drive. Many of these vids were used right up til last week when I started with VDJ8, co-incidence??? I wonder?

Daz, how would you know that a drive is about to fail. There is no indication of that.

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 11:33 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003

It does sound like a drive that's beginning to die, back it up just in case and replace those corrupted files.

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 11:35 am
Just checked the drive for errors, no errors, now defragging (which I do every week).

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 11:40 am
When you open VJ , do you notice you see all question marks beside the song in VJ 7.4 , if so this means that the drive letter has changed , you need to go into Control panel / Administrative tools / computer management / Disk management , and inside there change the Drive to a different letter that it was on before this problem started . Re open 7.4 and see if you can see all your songs and info .

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 11:53 am
No, it's not that. I know about that.

On VDJs browser I normally have Artist, Title, BPM, Length, Key
The faulty files are blank in the length column.
If I switch on bit rate, play count, file size etc. they all show normal data except the length column which is blank.

Some of these videos I use regularly, as they are Promo Only I have the original DVDs with them on, it will be a PITA ripping them all over again as its looking, so far, around 200. Some from 2011 may have been direct downloads from Promo Only secure servers, which means I may be able to just download them again. Not sure if they will still be available that far back.

Just been playing with my filter folder for the top most played tunes. Moved it from top 50 to top 1,000 and there is only 4 of these faulty files showing, meaning the others probably only get played on rare occasions.
Snoop Dogg - Sweat (David Guetta Remix)
Pink - Raise Your Glass
Tiesto & Busta Rhymes - C'Mon (Catch 'em By Surprise)
Gyptian - Hold You (Major Laser Remix)

What I'm planning to do is re-rip these back into the database. Then use VDJ7s Check, Clean, Fix database which will hopefully remove the faulty files (not sure how VDJ will cope with this). Then do the remove files on VDJ8 and hopefully will eliminate anymore posibility of crashes. Will also get another new Hard Drive and probably keep this one for backup.

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 12:06 pm
Have you not got them backed up on a second hard drive?

If not, time to start!

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 12:08 pm
I did have a copy of the databases on my previous gigging hard drive but the video & mp3 databases outgrew it as it was a 500gb, mp3 & video databases are now up to 642gb and growing fast. Between 20-40 new videos every week from Promo Only!!!

The previous 500gb is now my Apple Time Machine backup.

I've had a subscription for 6 1/2 years with Promo Only. I have all the DVDs from this period of time even though I have been using their secure server downloads for the last 3 or 4 years. It will be a PITA re-ripping but now with hindsight (and VDJs filter folder for play count) I may only rip the ones I use rather than everything. ;-)

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 12:34 pm
Scary time!!!

Many of the faulty files show NO indication in VDJ. Some have the length missing but others are still showing the length. It is in Windows browser that doesn't show the length that tells me the file is faulty.

Just been trying some tests; if I try to load one of these faulty files into VDJ7 then, basically, nothing happens. The player is just showing zero in all the data slots with nothing to play. In VDJ8 the program stops working and displays a warning box that it has stopped responding and Windows is looking for a solution then waits for a mouse click to close the program.

If the Dev's want any of these vids for testing contact me and I can throw them up on dropbox.

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 1:09 pm
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Eep, that's a little worrying if a corrupted file is able to crash the program...

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 1:17 pm
Yep, scary time, especially when there is no indication that anything is wrong with the video.

I've checked and VDJ7 can handle it by doing nothing, but, VDJ8 crashes! Gulp!

Got the 4 of them uploading to dropbox now.

Oh, BTW, this is with the PC version. Haven't tried with the Mac version yet. Will have a looksee after dinner.

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 1:29 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
If you look at the latest build (just released), it shows a fix:

"Fix crash when trying to write database on a read-only drive"

The fact that a bug like this has only just been addressed tells me everything, it tells me that I'll carry on messing with VDJ8 in my spare time, reporting bugs and putting forth my suggestions for improvement etc, and for now keeping it very far from my gig machine.

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 5:10 pm
bagpuss wrote :
If you look at the latest build (just released), it shows a fix:
"Fix crash when trying to write database on a read-only drive"

Which build are you referring to? Mine on PC & Mac is currently 1806

My problem has nothing to do with writing to a read only drive. It has already been established that around 200 of my Promo Only videos have been corrupted. The issues are "how have they become corrupted?" and "why does VDJ8 crash trying to load these videos into the players when VDJ7 does NOT crash".

My problem is trying to load a corrupt video into the players on VDJ8, both Mac and PC versions crash and shut down.
Trying to load the same video into the players on VDJ7 on both Mac and PC DO NOT crash the programs.

Just been checking into Mixed In Key 6 and found 3 of the faulty files played in MIK player first time then wouldn't play a second time. Very strange, makes me wonder if MIK had anything to do with corrupting the files. The plot thickens.........

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 6:06 pm
How lucky is that?

Just been on Promo Only servers and all 4 songs listed above that I use regularly are still available for download. Downloading now, will have to check to see which others I want to download.

Spoke too soon, only managed to get 2, the others are showing a download error. Before I contact PO gonna see what others I want to get.

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 6:51 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
If you can share one of the corrupted files with me I will have a look at them and why they crash VDJ.
VirtualDJ doesn't change the file unless you used 'Write Tag' in the tag editor, so it seems unlikely that VDJ8 had corrupted your files.

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 10:59 pm
57%