Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Cannot load a song from a folder outside of VDJ

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

DJ KozPRO InfinityMember since 2007
I cannot load a song from a folder outside of VDJ. I have 1793.659 on a Mac.

I did create a ticket but realized I can post the problem here.

Also, I tried downloading the newest version from cnet and it gave me 1785.

Posted Sat 24 May 14 @ 11:08 pm
Wow, at first I thought you was smoking crack. Load a track from a folder, outside of VDJ? I just tried it, and it works. I'm on a PC, but at least I learned something new today. I'm sure a Mac user will be here to help you.

Posted Sun 25 May 14 @ 12:44 am
gkon116PRO InfinityMember since 2006
DJ Koz wrote :
I cannot load a song from a folder outside of VDJ. I have 1793.659 on a Mac.

I did create a ticket but realized I can post the problem here.

Also, I tried downloading the newest version from cnet and it gave me 1785.

DJ Koz-

Are you talking about having a file on, lets say your Mac desktop and expanding the VDJ tree to show your desktop folder and playing that tune? Or are you dragging it into VDJ? I'm not quite sure how your loading a song from a folder outside VDJ. Once I understand, I'll give it a try.

Cheers,

Nick

Posted Sun 25 May 14 @ 1:07 am
I thought he meant dragging from desktop, into VDJ. I thought it was crazy, and why would you even need to do that. Well, I minimized VDJ and dragged a video off of my desk to, and bang, it played. So yes , it can be done, at least on my PC. I think he was able to do it before on his Mac, and can't now.

Posted Sun 25 May 14 @ 2:08 am
prezPRO InfinityMember since 2005
A Man and His Music wrote :
I thought he meant dragging from desktop, into VDJ. I thought it was crazy, and why would you even need to do that. Well, I minimized VDJ and dragged a video off of my desk to, and bang, it played. So yes , it can be done, at least on my PC. I think he was able to do it before on his Mac, and can't now.

you would need it if you use something like "remote request station" for instance to drag the request to a deck to play.... OR if you use some other music library tool like MP3 Catalog or Ultra Tag editor, they have good searches, then you can drag from that catalog into the VDJ deck to load the track.... it works on PC, but apparently broke in the mac version.

EDIT:
usually works BEST when you have multiple monitors and drag from one to the other, leave the catalog or request station window in the other monitor... I use remote request station a lot when I do "bar" gigs or karaoke shows.

Posted Sun 25 May 14 @ 6:16 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Indeed drag n drop from Finder to VirtualDJ is not working on Mac version. This has been reported to the Team as a missing feature as it was working on version 7.
Thank you for reporting

Posted Sun 25 May 14 @ 7:36 am
It is on a Mac. It does work on my PC.

It is helpful when you have just downloaded something to a folder on your computer and VDJ hasn't recognized it yet. Just drag from anywhere into VDJ and you are ready to play it. VDJ also analyzes it and puts it in your database.

Thanks DJ Dad.

Posted Sun 25 May 14 @ 9:35 am
I don't get it. I have 3 to 4 video services open, in back of VDJ. If I download a track, I download it to the folder it is supposed to be in, in VDJ. If there is something on the desktop, I can access it from the desktop folder, In VDJ. Seems like an extra step, to download to the desktop, and then drag it to VDJ. As I stated, I never knew this option was available, until this post. It shows the versatility of VDJ, and if it works for you, that's great.

Posted Sun 25 May 14 @ 11:52 am
Sometimes I'm not sure which folder a track would be in so I use finder and just drag the track into VDJ.

Posted Sun 25 May 14 @ 11:56 am
As long as it works for you, that's all that matters. Nice setup.

Posted Sun 25 May 14 @ 12:02 pm
Thanks.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who does that.

Posted Sun 25 May 14 @ 12:08 pm
Trust me you're not alone. I have requested from day one of the pre-release that they fix this issue. I download on the fly all the time in the middle of a gig to iTunes and just drag it into the folders, as well as my play lists. I have a Mac as well. I look for this fix on all the new releases and have yet to have my wish come true. Actually, it's the first thing I try when the new version downloads.

Posted Sun 25 May 14 @ 4:19 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)