Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Non-Internet enabled license - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

rlovePRO InfinityMember since 2010
Understood, and I apologize for calling the company Atomic, not Atomix... (My tablet keeps trying to auto-correct.)

Look at it from my point of view... I log into the software at home, then get to the venue, which has no Internet access. For some reason, with my fault or not, I am logged out and I can't use my controller. Essentially, I can't do the party. Since I engaged in a contract with the family or venue, I'm up for getting sued. (I can't just leave and find a Starbucks.)

In fact, there's been a few happenings of this based on stories already in this forum. Luckily the affected people were able to either find an open Wi-Fi connection or tether from their phone. Too much stress and not enough confidence in the system.

I'm not trying to start a situation or rattle up the wrong tree. My concerns are real and not far fetched. I'm just saying that though you may feel that your new system offers new benefits (and yes, it does), there's the potential for something really bad to come out of it as well.

I've been developing software for over 20 years, and this is not new to me. I'd like to say that I have a pretty good track record for predictive problems.

I'm just saying that this could have some major issues with the path that you are going. I'm not judging or criticizing, I'm really just trying to help.

Posted Wed 21 May 14 @ 8:33 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
If you log in at home and your gig PC is offline, and you get to your gig, and your gig PC is still offline, then it won't be logged out will it?

Posted Wed 21 May 14 @ 8:40 pm
rlove wrote :
Look at it from my point of view... I log into the software at home, then get to the venue, which has no Internet access. For some reason, with my fault or not, I am logged out and I can't use my controller.

There is only one instance for this to happen - You login on a second online machine while both computers have internet access. If you login on your primary machine then shut down the computer, then login on your backup machine and shut down that computer, both machines will have your pro credentials on them when you arrive at a venue with no internet access.

You can test this by closing the software and disabling wifi. Then relaunching the software and going to the licenses section of the configuration. You should see that you still have a full license ;)

Posted Wed 21 May 14 @ 8:41 pm
I can see your point and yes, in the grand scheme of it all, perhaps it's not as dire as I may have made it sound, however I warned you earlier that I was just being paranoid. :-)

It's just dangerous.

Posted Wed 21 May 14 @ 8:54 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
I don't see how.

If your gig PC does see the internet than it doesn't log out. If it does see the internet and logs you out, then you have internet and can log in?

Posted Wed 21 May 14 @ 8:56 pm
Again, thinking perhaps more on the fault of the user. I think there's still ways for this to be highly problematic.

Posted Wed 21 May 14 @ 9:33 pm
CMBDJPRO InfinityMember since 2007
If your machine has to connect to the internet to validate the license, or login, or whatever you call it, I fear a problem will arise. PCDJ users have had problems with security software denying registered software because it didn't have access to the internet to connect to servers. Maybe I'm just not understanding the functionality, but a key with no internet connection validation is the way to go.

Posted Wed 21 May 14 @ 9:46 pm
Once you machine is logged in - the only reason to get logged out is when you started a second computer meanwhile, go back to your main machine start VDJ - you get the login window which meens your license is deactivated now. If you close this Windows pack your stuff and drive to your Gig - then yes you had a problem.

But why would do this ??? If i get the login Window i enter my credentials and it's back to work. And if it logges you out on a Gig, then because ou have Internet so just relogin.

Had no issues with this in the developing phase and i really often use v8 to test some stuff on a a gig.

Greets, Heiko

Posted Wed 21 May 14 @ 11:40 pm

Posted Thu 22 May 14 @ 12:20 am
CMBDJ wrote :
If your machine has to connect to the internet to validate the license, or login, or whatever you call it, I fear a problem will arise. PCDJ users have had problems with security software denying registered software because it didn't have access to the internet to connect to servers. Maybe I'm just not understanding the functionality, but a key with no internet connection validation is the way to go.

It's good to see that I am not the only person that has concerns with this...

Posted Thu 22 May 14 @ 8:53 am
jbezzPRO InfinityMember since 2010
If you have a machine that doesn't have internet access how do you get Version 8 to begin with and how do you get updates?

Posted Thu 22 May 14 @ 10:33 am
You download from another machine that does have access.

Posted Thu 22 May 14 @ 10:42 am
My main audio machine _does_ touch the Internet, however only to grab OSX patches and fixes. However, I don't do anything else on that machine with the Internet. (No downloading, no surfing, nothing...)

That's a good point in regards to updates. Previously, with V7, I would download the updates on another Mac, toss the file on a USB key, and then install it via that. With V8, it doesn't appear that you can download the updates outside of the automatic update process.

Atomix?

Posted Thu 22 May 14 @ 12:35 pm
rlove wrote :
with V7, I would download the updates on another Mac, toss the file on a USB key, and then install it via that.

With V8, it doesn't appear that you can download the updates outside of the automatic update process.

What you were downloading before were the full files, not updates. You can still do that now.

Posted Thu 22 May 14 @ 12:39 pm
rlove wrote :
My main audio machine _does_ touch the Internet, however only to grab OSX patches and fixes.

So it does go on the internet? No issue then.

Posted Thu 22 May 14 @ 1:13 pm
Well yes, but it's very rare that I connect it. (If the computer connects 2-3x a year, that's a lot.)

Posted Thu 22 May 14 @ 3:01 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)