Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Problem with VDJ 8 and Stanton SCS.1D midi turntables

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hello all,

Overall I like the new version, though it certainly does take a bit of digging through the manual and learning the settings in advanced mode to start getting it like I want it to be... but I also know it's "young" software, being built from the ground up, and I expect we will see versions 8.1, 8.2, etc... coming out to solve bugs that could not be found until released to a larger audience, given the VDJ tries to fit possibly an uncountable number of possibly hardware combinations.

So, here is the problem I have. With a pair of Stanton SCS.1D midi turntables connected, the program will crash. Not immediately. It seems to work fine when I start a track with one of the midi turntables, and then maybe 10-15 seconds after starting another track from the other midi turntable, the program crashes with a buzzing sound that does not stop until I force close the program. The two midi turntables do play music from separate decks and are recognized as 1 & 2, so they are not trying to control the same deck.

I have, through the process of elimination, found that it's the stanton midi turntables that v8 seems to have an issue with. I'll explain below:

My setup:
Laptop: Dell E5400, 4 Gigs of RAM, 1 TB hard drive, 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo CPU, windows 7 32bit
External Sound Card: Native Instruments Audio 2
Midi controllers: Stanton SCS.1D
Mixer: External (doesn't matter)

Tested VDJ v8 with niether the external sound card or midi controllers connected. Worked fine, no problems found. Tested VDJ v8 with the laptop connected to the external sound card (Audio 2). No problems found. Connected the laptop to both the external sound card (Audio 2, and Stanton SCS.1D midi (2)). Only then, does the problem happen. Track 1 starts just fine, when 2nd track is started by 2nd midi scs.1D, about 5-15 seconds later the program crashes.

I suspect it's got to be something about the communication with the Stanton SCS.1D via Firewire with VDJ v8.

Keep in mind, this exact setup, on this same exact laptop, works just fine with VDJ v.7.4. I am using the recommended Texas Inc. chipset firewire card, with the needed registry changes on Windows 7, wireless card is turned off, all that is done.

Here is a video I did on the problem:

http://youtu.be/EMeMOIg1Ovs

I totally agree with anyone that mentions it might be something in the settings for VDJ 8.0, just haven't found it yet, but don't understand v8 nearly as well as I do v7.4 either. Could also be a bug/issue with v8. If so... it's all good, I know it's new software, but please advise if I need to change a setting, or if it's a program issue. If it's a program issue, please put it on the list to fix :)

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 1:29 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
I'm afraid this is a known issue with the SCS.1d controllers (I have a pair here) in v8 at this time.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 1:31 pm
SBDJ wrote :
I'm afraid this is a known issue with the SCS.1d controllers (I have a pair here) in v8 at this time.

Is it something that will be fixed? I hope so. I know the Stanton SCS.1D's are not everyone's cup of tea, but I really like them. It would be a bummer to be stuck in 7.4 with them :)

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 2:01 pm
???

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 5:20 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Of course it will be fixed, but please be patient. We are working on it.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 5:22 pm
Sorry :( I am patient, just wanted to hear this would be addressed, and not left to the side given the status of the controller. I don't think many people have these scs.1D's, and Stanton sadly isn't really supporting them anymore....soooo.... had a little fear that they might not be considered important enough to fix the issue, also considering the oddity of them being firewire.... A lot of companies might just tell me, "get a new controller that's not discontinued", and leave it at that... I am really, really glad to hear VDJ will not leave me out in the cold with this, cause I would really love to run these with version 8 :) ...now I am good... and will wait patiently :) LOL :)

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 5:33 pm
Absolutely not, I also love these units :)

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 5:38 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
The fact that some units are discontinued doesnt change anything for us. It may push that a bit later as we definitely prioritize our list, but since its in the supported controllers list it will be fixed !

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 5:40 pm

I am still patient, but wanted to report that I am still having the same issue with the current 1782 build. I have been reading the notes on fixes for current builds, and saw that a fix for the Stanton scs.1D was suppose to be in build 1781, but I updated to 1782, and I am still having the same problem as described, and as shown in the video. If I try to use both scs.1D decks, about 5-15 seconds after starting the other deck, everything stops, and I get a load buzzzzzzzz.... and have to force close the program.

I have done a lot of reading in the manual, so if there is something I missed, please let me know. In the meantime, I will wait for a fix :) Just reporting for now :)

Posted Mon 19 May 14 @ 11:55 pm
Sorry - an oversight meant the non-updated definition file got uploaded. Fixed in controller definition 650 :)

Posted Tue 20 May 14 @ 2:34 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)