Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: First impressions - Page: 11

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 8:10 am
Fantastic! I do know the difference between limiter & compressor, but if possible I try to avoid hitting any filter. The headroom function sounds great, will experiment from tonight on!

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 8:14 am
Hey Team VDJ,

Loving the rebuild, Like the layout, getting my head round where everything is is taking it's time but will come together.

Sound seems better, just though laptop speakers at moment so will check with PA later this week.

:)

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 8:20 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
There is definitely an improvement in soundquality.
You will be impressed.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 8:29 am
What was so bad about the old soundquality version? I know you had to set the keylock to advanced, but otherwise it was quite decent. In what area is it improved?

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 8:36 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
It has a complete new soundengine that now processes in 32bit.
The filter, EQs and the general master output are much much better now.

If you do a direct comparision between v7 and v8 you will say: How could I ever have played with v7 (sound) :)

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 8:54 am
DazmaxPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Agree with that PatchN Made a a comparrison with some well produced tracks. V8 definate sound improvement :-D

Any reason for the Mac going 64Bit and the PC version being 32bit? No complaint here as CPU consumption seems to be a good deal lower than V7 on my machine. Just wondered if there was an issue with going 64bit on the PC. Perhaps because many PC users still use 32Bit OS?

Anyhoo. have been running V8 with 12hrs uptime and not missed a beat yet :-D :-D

Daz

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 9:51 am
There is an issue with sample playback. I get an audible pop/glitch at the end of some of my samples. Like someone turning off the mic on a desk or something like that. I checked the samples in the editor and they do not do it. Only when played back from the sample folder.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 10:00 am
With the previous version of Virtual DJ, I could turn of the horizontal cross fader and use only the vertical fader. I am finding it difficult to do the same with Virtual DJ 8, could anyone help me with that.
I also noticed that there is not a way to control the volume of my laptop with the new version.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 10:10 am
DJ_Craig wrote :
I get an audible pop/glitch at the end of some of my samples.

+1

Browse to the samples folder and select the drum samples. All four of them display the symptom.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 10:11 am
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
chrische wrote :
With the previous version of Virtual DJ, I could turn of the horizontal cross fader and use only the vertical fader. I am finding it difficult to do the same with Virtual DJ 8, could anyone help me with that.
I also noticed that there is not a way to control the volume of my laptop with the new version.

Hi,
For your first question you can set the crossfader to "Disabled" in the options of VirtualDJ. Search for "crossfade" to get all crossfader options.

Second question, VirtualDJ now gets full access to the Wasapi soundcard, hence not being able to play any sound in another music software.
You will have to control the volume from VirtualDJ itself.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 10:38 am
My take after a few hours with Mobile DJ System:

Audio Quality is Excellent.
Very fast loading.
Very stable.
Sampler is Great!
Lots of options.
Skin Quality can be better.
Output Video not as good as in VDJ 7.
My VDJ 7 Database was not converted.

I'm still playing and learning how to do certain things. I must map keyboard and controller. So far, it's a very generous update.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 10:45 am

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 10:48 am
One other thing. My CUE markers have moved forwards on some tracks. I am guessing as I load each track v8 is rescanning and adjusting to compensate for a more accurate BPM tempo or something. But it means deleting the original CUE marker(s) and making new markers.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 11:01 am
JOSETHEDJ wrote :
My take after a few hours with Mobile DJ System:

Audio Quality is Excellent.
Very fast loading.
Very stable.
Sampler is Great!
Lots of options.
Skin Quality can be better.
Output Video not as good as in VDJ 7.
My VDJ 7 Database was not converted.

I'm still playing and learning how to do certain things. I must map keyboard and controller. So far, it's a very generous update.

+1 particularly Output Video not as good as in VDJ 7.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 11:01 am
- Sound quality improvement is noticeable.
- Responsiveness is great as well.
- Where do I find buffer settings? Not that I need it VDJ8 is very efficient and responsive I was just curious.
- You can see the amount of work that has gone into VDJ8 from the options menu. You have added a lot more relevant options. Please make this layout clearer to understand with more multiple choices for each feild.
-Please add sample volume overall control. When using an external sampler like the DDJ-SZ all of the samples output at full blast. So far I only see the ability to control the volume of one sample at a time.
- 24 bit samples play at a very low volume.
- Please add external monitor video output select to video options.
- Need VDJ8 skins right away. Default skin needs a bit of work. There is wasted space here and there.
- On a Mac if you disable the direct X options you lose waveform builds.
? Please confirm if VDJ8 fully utilizes my 24 bit sound card in the DDJ-SZ and DDJ-SX.
- Scratching sounds better more realistic. Great job!
- In audio setup menu please create a link to third party sound card interface utility menu for patching.
- Create more advanced search options such as [title] [genre] [year] [bpm] [key] sort of like a real time virtual filter
- I love the fact that you have a master output buss with an effects. I am looking forward to replacing my external rack with effects like a 31 band EQ, BBE Sonic Maximiser and soft analog tube limiter simulation.
- slicer seem weird with delayed response and loop range please check this.
- I love the new drum sampler is this velocity sensitive? The DDJ-SZ and DDJ-SX are capable to transmitting this data. I had trouble getting these drum loops to sync to master clock. Consider taking the next step and turning this into a functional drum sequencer.
- Thank you for adding variable play/stop ramp up and break.

I have only had one night with VDJ8 but wow so far it is smooth, responsive, comprehensive and loaded with features. I can't wait to complete my day gig job to go home and play with it some more.

Thank you very much for making VDJ8.

Cheers

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 11:15 am
both touch sensitive pads and full use of soundcard resolution ;) SX rocks with v8 ;)

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 11:18 am
I really like it. Files load fast, sounds great, videos look great, my controller works like a champ, jogs respond very well. Might have to learn to scratch a bit now.
I still need to get through the manual, learn all the tweaks and options. Anxious for some new skins, no offense to my Norwegian friend ;)

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 11:28 am
Sorry for asking twice. Had a read throu the manual re Waveforms. Is it possible to swap the scrol direction? Have become so used to having the waves running L to R it's bugging me LOL. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers

Daz

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 11:41 am
Oh and had a play with the sampler. Seemed to behave on the drum samples with me. Only way I could get clicks was to swap Bass drum samples quickly or jump out of the bass drum samples part way through. Other Drum samples seemed fine.

Daz

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 11:47 am
29%