Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: stubborn config menu & jog wheel crash

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

ultsndsPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Hi,

I've got a strong new i7 lappy in my rig running vdj 7.4 pro on a denon hc 4500. All is well.

For backup, I just installed vdj 7.4 pro on an older lappy with a denon hd 2500. Almost all is well.

Everything installs nicely, songs load nicely, videos load nicely, clip bank loads nicely and audio/video plays nicely from the hd 2500 cue/play buttons.

However, if I simply touch the jog wheel, the program crashes. And without provocation, the config menu keeps popping up. Every time I close it, it re-opens again like a spam ad. :)

I've uninstalled and re-installed the program and drivers and a few other things but always come up with the same 2 issues.

From my research online, I know that Vista and 64 bit units generally aren't favored, but my issue seems to be due more to perhaps a mapping issue or specific asio driver version? I was unable to find a driver that was for both Vista AND 64 bit for the HD 2500.

If I did miss it, or a fix to this issue, I beg your pardon. After a few hours of searching and trial and error, I've come to pros here for help because I'm out of ideas. I think the VDJ program is solid and so is the controller. The lappy is older, but it runs very efficiently. I'm hopeful it's just a minor tweak somewhere/user error.

Thank you in advance for your help.

M

Back-up lappy specs.

Sony Vaio VGN- FW351J
Windows Vista 64 Bit
Asio Sound Driver 1.01
4 gigs of memory
intel processor core tm 2 duo core t6400 2.00ghz

Posted Sat 25 May 13 @ 9:09 pm
The issue may be Vista itself. There is a well known bug with MIDI in this operating system that causes the MIDI driver to crash if too many MIDI messages are sent in one go, such as when moving or scratching with a high-resolution jogwheel.

On the Denon HC4500, it's possible to reduce the jogwheel resolution in its preset options (Hold MEMO button), so it may also be possible to do the same on HD2500.

However, Vista is a very bloated and poorly designed operating system and is not really well suited to DJ performance. Upgrading to Windows 7 (Or downgrading to XP depending on the age of the computer) would be strongly recommended and will give you considerably better performance overall. It also means that you don't have to reduce the capabilities/performance of your MIDI controller either.

Posted Sun 26 May 13 @ 12:23 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
ultsnds wrote :

However, if I simply touch the jog wheel, the program crashes. And without provocation, the config menu keeps popping up. Every time I close it, it re-opens again like a spam ad. :)

Most likely, Vista itself is the issue, but make sure you have no files in the Mappers folder (MyDocuments\VirtualDJ\Mappers), as there might be a possibility that you have mapped the jogwheels as ..settings (opens config) by accident.

Posted Sun 26 May 13 @ 7:54 pm
ultsndsPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Thank you both for your assistance.

I believe the problem has been resolved. :)

All I had to do was click on "restore factory settings" in the mapping window of VDJ's config. :)

3 hours of flawless testing so far. I've been ripping on the jog wheels by doing exaggerated back spins on both decks simultaneously while the clip bank is cranking.

The CPU went up to about 75% a couple of times but the audio never stuttered and the video output never froze.

The CPU meter seemed to settle in at the 50% range.

I think this is a good sign.

I'll keep testing to ensure that the issue does not return.

Thanks again for your time.

Posted Sun 26 May 13 @ 8:47 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)