Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Mouse functionalities through MIDI/HID controllers

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

More and more midi controllers are adding in joysticks, and touch pads. and I for one only need it to be used as a mouse alternative.

Please add the the following actions to the mappers functions list.

1. mouse_move (use any touch pad like the 'Pioneer DJM 2000 - Type D1') OR (any joystick like controller like "Hercules MK2") to move the cursor
2. mouse_primary (mouse click primary button)
3. mouse_secondary (mouse click secondary button)
4. mouse_middle (mouse click middle button)
5. mouse_scroll (use any touch pad like 'Pioneer DJM 2000 - Type D2') OR (any joystick like controller "Hercules MK2") to scroll.

yes, i am aware that there are many other things that a mouse can do, but for this feature, i'm only asking for the basics. it's just so much more convenient and professional to use the controller in front of you instead of the mouse.

thanks in advanced..

djkz

Posted Sat 21 Jul 12 @ 10:51 am
Er......my understanding is that the purpose of using a controller with VDJ is not having to need the mouse.

Most DJ specific controllers are designed that way.

Posted Sat 21 Jul 12 @ 11:33 am
That sir! will never happen. it's like saying, you have a right arm, so you don't need your left arm. We will always need our left arm and we will always need a mouse to navigate in virtual DJ, as well as other applications. Especially now with Virtual DJ 8 coming out, you can easily see, that most of the demonstration is done with use of a mouse, "click then drag" can only be done with a mouse. moving panels can only be done with a mouse, controlling elements in virtual dj your controller can't control can only be done with a mouse. In other words, the mouse is an essential tool to the DJ. The only way a mouse can be completely eliminated by a controller, is if that controller has a built in mouse.

:)

Posted Sat 21 Jul 12 @ 7:38 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
I disagree with that assertion - I can work without a mouse now in v7?

Posted Sun 22 Jul 12 @ 6:57 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
There are basically 2 kind of software operations. The preparation and the live ones.
Certainly, resizing the skin, moving a panel, drag n drop a few files in Virtual Folders, organizing your music library..etc are preparation operations. And yes for those a mouse is necessary.
But for the live ones, i dont actually think that there are things you cant operate them with VDJ Script actions.
Personally, if there was a midi controller with attached keyboard (to search), i would not even touch the laptop.
Join the GROM club (Get Rid Of Mouse) :P

Posted Sun 22 Jul 12 @ 4:49 pm
the mouse compensates for what the controllers cannot do. that's how i see anyways..

thanks for your input on the subject.

Posted Sun 22 Jul 12 @ 6:00 pm
Can you give us an example of a live performance action that a controller is not able to provide ?

Posted Sun 22 Jul 12 @ 6:47 pm
better yet, can you name one controller that can do everything a mouse can do?

i'll name a few to begin with.

1. switching between panels. each panel has it's purpose. and each panel is used at different times.
2. add/remove sampler
3. move songs up and down in the automix playlist
4. fade to specific song in the automix playlist.
5. moving the fade in and fade out points in the automix song position.
6. with the mouse in place, it would serve as a temp macro function by the skin. you use the mouse to enable/disable, move, slide, rotate, and press/release buttons, knobs, sliders, in the skin.

i wrote so many when i finally clicked on the "save" my session was ended and i lost that entire list.

and let us not forget playing solitaire when asked to play background music.

my core message is that controllers should be simple. and right now, they are. THANK YOU. programming lots of stuff into them will only make the controller more difficult to use. with a mouse, we are only limited by the skin.

keep it simple: use a mouse.

Posted Sun 22 Jul 12 @ 10:40 pm
djkz wrote :

1. switching between panels. each panel has it's purpose. and each panel is used at different times.

Several script actions depending on the panels and use, can be assigned to keyboard or controller buttons.. e.g.
skin_panel 'a' on ? skin_panel 'b' on : skin_panel 'a' on etc
But of course when playing live, you need to choose a skin that has the infos you need in front of you, and not hidden in panels. Thats a choice you need to do , and thank to our skinners, we have a lot of choices.. , no ?
djkz wrote :

2. add/remove sampler

Thats certainly a preparation. Even if during the night you might need more than 12 samples, there are several script actions to help you accomplish that.

djkz wrote :

3. move songs up and down in the automix playlist
4. fade to specific song in the automix playlist.
5. moving the fade in and fade out points in the automix song position.

Automix is considered live performance ? ..lol

djkz wrote :

and let us not forget playing solitaire when asked to play background music.

You beat me here ..hehe

Anyways, the whole story is pointless for me. If you still think that the mouse should be a part of djing, then choosing a skin with 100 panels and all the software features with a click or rightclick, might be a good way for you. But i think the most common dj performance needs to avoid that. The last thing we need is to look like computer guys in front of our audience.

Posted Sun 22 Jul 12 @ 11:05 pm
Apparently I misunderstood what you meant when you said live performance. I thought you meant during a DJ set. Now I think you meant during the actual transition or manipulation of and between songs.

My last two points will be made here and then this thread will be placed to rest.. At least by me.

1. Firstly, I am a wedding DJ. And Part of my specialty which keeps clients returning and recommending my services is because of that extra care and professional DJ service I provide them with. At the first meeting I create a timeline with them. I use a 3rd party DJ software to create a music database for each event (client). In that database, I create a timeline based playlist. Where I rename the songs to remind me when to play certain ones. To take notes and other special functions I don't see virtual DJ ever adding. That music database has about 300 songs in all. It's fairly small and to the point. Different client, different timeline, different playlist, different database. This program does not require a keyboard to search, only a mouse to pick the track and drag it to virtual DJ. Since virtual DJ does not have tabs, sub tabs, categories, and notes all in different databases based on an events timeline, I will continue using this software.
I also use Microsoft excel to create a spread sheet with all the important data I need to know on a timely basis. This too only requires a mouse to view different tabs and sort columns on the fly.
The next application is an absolute life saver. It is an SQL music database that has my entire 4tb 500k music files analyzed. It loads in about 8 minutes and is only used to find song request. It has advanced searching technologies that not even virtual DJ 8 has. It too only needs a mouse to drag 'n drop that request into virtual DJ. Also, if I were to have virtual DJ analyze that music collection, 1. It would take several weeks to finish analyzing And 2. It would cause virtual DJ about 30 minutes to load. Which is clearly not a good thing. Over the years, I've made several requests to have virtual DJ be able to handle such a big database, in the end I had to buy this 3rd party software.

2. While I appreciate the developers investing many hours perfecting virtual DJ script, I also believe that sometimes, it's just easier to use a mouse. As I said before. I keep it simple, I use a mouse. With ms word, I absolutely hate the mouse. Why.. Because the mouse is slow. But it's still a necessity. And when the mouse will be part of the DJ hardware, it will revolutionize the way we DJ. It's a professional wedding dj's approach to multi task, organize, and orchestrate the perfect wedding. It's not the dj's job to inform the caterer of what's going on, but if I'm there, I'll make sure he does know, because I. The timeline I created with my client, we took care of him as well. I'm the DJ. I'm the MC. I'm the master of the ceremony, the reception, and all. It is my responsibility to take care of everything. And having that extra tool called a mouse touchpad built into the mixer is a tool I absolutely must have.

I apologize if I seem a bit frustrated.

.. How many mice does it take to control virtual DJ? .. 1 good one.

Posted Mon 23 Jul 12 @ 12:39 pm
I'm fairly certain we've been down the database road with you before. Virtual DJ does not have issues with large collections of music - the database for my measly completely scanned 2Tb library loads absolutely instantly.

On the mouse front there are extra limitations sometimes - including what some controllers send from a touchpad in MIDI mode. I'm sure your request has been noted though :)

I'm quite intrigued as to how you know what the search in v8 is capable of - what exactly is it this other program can do that you know v8 can't?

Posted Mon 23 Jul 12 @ 4:53 pm
SBDJ wrote :
I'm fairly certain we've been down the database road with you before. Virtual DJ does not have issues with large collections of music - the database for my measly completely scanned 2Tb library loads absolutely instantly.

I need to meet you in person and solve this issue once and for all.
SBDJ wrote :

On the mouse front there are extra limitations sometimes - including what some controllers send from a touchpad in MIDI mode. I'm sure your request has been noted though :)

Awesome!!!
SBDJ wrote :
I'm quite intrigued as to how you know what the search in v8 is capable of - what exactly is it this other program can do that you know v8 can't?

this is definitely another topic. so, no comment :)

Posted Mon 23 Jul 12 @ 7:50 pm
I'm impressed ...your way of arguing or attitute towards life! keep the energy alive!

Posted Sat 29 Dec 12 @ 4:21 pm
Please don't bump older posts with irrelevant comments.

Posted Sat 29 Dec 12 @ 4:31 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)