Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Sampler and VST! Community Read and Back this IDEA!!! - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

While every one is trying to make things play nice with other host programs to expand the abilities of Virtual DJ. How about Virtual DJ nip this all in the butt. Make Virtual Dj a VST as well. There is a competitor out there that has done this. I have used their vst inside of Ableton and it is flawless. No where near as nice as VDJ but still no rewire, no virtual cables, no midi clock set up no input. Clean powerful VST inside the host uses less resources and makes rewire and Bridge programs obsolete and stupid. Can anyone argue that having the full version of VDJ inside a DAW would not be so completely awesome and make everyone's life easier.

Make the sampler drag and drop so that instead of hitting [load, selecting folder, selecting file, hitting ok] we can siply go to our samples folder in our browser open drag and drop. Just like the decks. Then to polish it all off; allow the samples to be able to use the VDJ effects. So we can drag dupstep baseline into sampler slot 2 activate lfo or any effect we want and tweak via midi mappable parameters. In essence the samplers would become 12 mini decks instead of just playing straight sound.

I think these two improvements would make VDJ ustoppable and highly versitil. I currently am able to do the sampler effect part by using advanced sound set up and Virtual Cable. I set sampler to Virtual cable line 1 then input it to deck 4 this allows me to put any and all effects onto my samples and ALLOWS ME TO RECORD THE ALTERED SAMPLES! latency is a problem however.

COMMUNITY IF YOU CAN SEE MY IDEAS WORKING FOR YOU PLEASE ADD YOUR YES TO THIS POST.
VIRTUAL DJ LISTENS AND EVEN THE VST ALONE WOULD MAKE HUGE IMACTS ON THE VERSATILITY TO OUR SETS!!!

Posted Fri 27 May 11 @ 1:08 pm
I cannot believe 70 reads and no one wants to see VDJ as a VST or with a better sampler? please guys If you agree post a simple yes to this thread.

Posted Wed 08 Jun 11 @ 1:37 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
If you're routing sampler to a deck then why not just use a deck directly?

Posted Wed 08 Jun 11 @ 1:52 pm
whatsurbucket wrote :
I cannot believe 70 reads and no one wants to see VDJ as a VST or with a better sampler? please guys If you agree post a simple yes to this thread.

I cant speak for the others, but myself, I am not really sure what your want, nor why its so important..

instead of getting all technically with multiple acronymes, how about giving us a real world step-by-step of would you would like to do (musically wise), and how you do it now, VS what having VST would make possible..

Posted Wed 08 Jun 11 @ 3:34 pm
SBDJ wrote :

I was hoping that's what we were going to get in v7 when the news came out.

With the possibility of all those decks, the choice of having the deck become a sampler when loading *.VDJ files or of being able to flick a deck/sampler switch to change the functionality was getting my juices flowing.

Unfortunately it never happened, and there were no improvements to the existing 'sampler' either.

Maybe in VDJ 8?

Posted Wed 08 Jun 11 @ 4:16 pm
Yeah, I thought the "deck as a sampler" would have been nice and we could have replaced the sampler panel with 12 slimline decks and had additional verbs/controls for looping the entire track. other advantages of course are pitch/tone lock, the ability to clone a deck to a sampler and so on...

Still hoping for this and also for multiple sampler banks...

Roy

Posted Thu 09 Jun 11 @ 9:27 am
@ groovindj + GadgetMan:

Most probably I am just missing something here, but... don't we already have the possibilty of more decks? I have assigned extra decks as samplers, making a custom skin, with PFL, EQ, FX, etc for the sampler, and a SAMPLES button in the browser area that toggles from the loops folder to the one-shots folder. Another MUSIC button toggles through the different theme-night folders (70's, tropical, etc.). The actual samplers are now RECORDERS for live sample recording (always right volumen, no need for PFL, EQ, etc.). So, what's still missing then?

Posted Thu 09 Jun 11 @ 12:49 pm
More decks doesn't mean more samplers in book. Have you seen what farm software sampler can do??

Huey

Posted Thu 09 Jun 11 @ 3:15 pm
Okay beatbreaker1, for all of us here that do not know, please tell us what the farm samplers can do that you really like or find usefull...

Posted Fri 10 Jun 11 @ 2:50 am
Deejay Corny wrote :
what's still missing then?

Well you've had to create a custom skin yourself, and assign all the functions yourself....

Many people don't have the skills or time to do that.

Other DJ software has very good sampling functionality, without having to (effectively) redesign the software yourself!

Posted Fri 10 Jun 11 @ 6:15 am
Plus we need a verb/setting to "loop track". Currently there is no way to do a full loop without setting up a loop manually.

Roy

Posted Fri 10 Jun 11 @ 10:45 am
I took a look yesterday at the way Traktor does it...

You have a choice of track deck, sample deck or live input.

Each sample deck can actually load FOUR samples/loops. Each of the four can be set to one-shot or loop. Everything syncs to the master track, or the master clock (which takes its tempo from the playing deck, but takes over if there's no deck playing).

You can also make a new sample by creating a loop in a track, and dragging said loop into a sample deck. This not only creates a sample which is a separate entity to the track itself, but it also automatically saves it as a sample, so you can load and use it again.

Time to play 'catch up' guys!

Posted Sat 11 Jun 11 @ 4:38 am
Eh... Well now... I... What I mean is... Oh shoot! groovindj: I think you're right. The VDJ sampler could be improved!

Posted Sat 11 Jun 11 @ 5:49 am
You can already copy a loop to the sampler and save it.

If you have a loop set on the deck, sampler_rec will copy that loop directly to the sampler.

Posted Sat 11 Jun 11 @ 6:53 am
Yes I've discovered that - but you must agree that there's a LOT of improvements that could be made to VDJ on the sample side of things.

Posted Sat 11 Jun 11 @ 9:27 am
I'm not denying that :)

Simply pointing out that it is a little more capable and flexible than some people realise. I've found some annoying issues with it too though!

I tend to stick with using a couple of decks as samplers instead and have created plugins to aid me with this :)

Posted Sat 11 Jun 11 @ 10:17 am
Hmmm... Interesting. What do these plugins do?

And you know where this is heading, right Scott? ;)

Posted Sat 11 Jun 11 @ 2:56 pm
To explain it simply because I believe dj Corny asked? I want to be able to use the full Virtual Dj product INSIDE Ableton. Inside meaning ableton would be the final sound output. Allowing me to route sound to Abletons channels and add extra effects. S imply put Ableton would host Virtual Dj. I run the NS6 and the APC40 so adding extra decks to be used as samplers is just not a reality. Also, samplers tend to act wierd sometimes There has been many times where I will loop a track then record it into a sampler and it will play slightly off beat from the very same loop its playing from. I want to be able to atleast record exactly what I looped into the sampler. For example if I have a beat playing with beatgrid activated on it and I sample it it does NOT record the real sound. just the loop with no efects. make sence? Also drag and drop functionality is faster and easier than the way we have to do it now. You yourself know this that is why you had to make a custom skin and custom mapping and custom controls. So why sit there and say you did this because you wanted more functionality then pretend there is nothing wrong with the as is set up of virtual dj.

I route the sampler into the deck because it would be imposible to play a 4/4 beat clip and a snare from another clip and an accapella from another clip all on decks thats three decks used up while I am always running three decks. if all of this was inside ableton I wouldn't even need the sampler i could use clip launch and use effects on the fly. I hope this makes more sence now.

Thanks to everyone who is responding.

Posted Mon 13 Jun 11 @ 11:25 am
hippydog wrote :
whatsurbucket wrote :

I cant speak for the others, but myself, I am not really sure what your want, nor why its so important..

instead of getting all technically with multiple acronymes, how about giving us a real world step-by-step of would you would like to do (musically wise), and how you do it now, VS what having VST would make possible..

Having the Virtual DJ inside a Ableton as a VST would eliminate the need for max for live and the bridge as serato has done it to work with ableton flawlessly.
Virtualdj inside of Ableton would give us the ability to spin as we always have but also the possability of doing a Dj Earworm type set with less problems and with more control as we would have the ability to scratch. Right now I use virtual dj and one sound card into my 12 channel mixer and ableton from another sound card into the same mixer and match by ear. but with no master for ableton to read from it is a pain in the A$$ to say the least. Does that help?

Posted Mon 13 Jun 11 @ 11:30 am
groovindj wrote :
SBDJ wrote :

I was hoping that's what we were going to get in v7 when the news came out.

With the possibility of all those decks, the choice of having the deck become a sampler when loading *.VDJ files or of being able to flick a deck/sampler switch to change the functionality was getting my juices flowing.

Unfortunately it never happened, and there were no improvements to the existing 'sampler' either.

Maybe in VDJ 8?

I have been promised that version 8 will be significantly improved. I have also been told that they read our advice and wishes and try to incorporate what makes sence. So I created this post so that people could say what they really want and more importantly need.
I need Virtual DJ to go VST or make rewire work flawlessly with ableton.

AGAIN THANK YOU all for replying to me and keep it up.

Posted Mon 13 Jun 11 @ 11:36 am
47%