Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: My Working Mac Setup 2011 edition - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
Thought I'd take this moment to post my working setup feel free to post pictures here of yours.

Specs

2008 MBP

2.6 core2 duo
4 gigs of ram
8600 mgt
500 gb hdd / 2tb usb external

Vci300

(logic board replaced in 09)

I only do video shows and video is perfect on this system. I use the soundcard in the vci for audio out.

Posted Thu 18 Mar 10 @ 5:10 pm
looks nice, I will have some pics up this weekend. I have been swamped this week and haven't had a chance.

Posted Wed 24 Mar 10 @ 9:31 am
This is the new setup

Posted Sat 27 Mar 10 @ 12:54 pm
Looks nice - how do you like the Numark?

Posted Sun 18 Apr 10 @ 10:13 pm
I really like the ns7 for me its what has been missing from controllers for years.

Posted Mon 19 Apr 10 @ 6:33 am
I prolly would have gone in that direction if something like that were available years ago. Now I'm getting set in my ways for equipment.
I got the Steel for practicing and it lives in my Laptop case. Perfect for playing and last minute gigs and cruses.
I'll post a pic of my console when I get a chance - right now it takes up a modified 8 space rack with the Denon HDC4500 (which I think you have used in the past) 2 Electrix EQ killers and Urei 1620 LE among other things. Lovin' the sound from that rig it is amazing.
Hopefully will be adding the 1U Atom based computer into it by months end and will use the mac to VNC into it and as backup.

Posted Mon 19 Apr 10 @ 8:26 am
yeah..still haven't posted any pics, really need to..

looks nice cyder, my only reservation about the NS7 is "when one piece breaks you are screwed..." Well, I guess it can happen in any situation but with all in one units you take a gamble IMHO. I certainly hope you have no issues with it but a reminder to us all on the forum... what DO you have for a backup, i.e. if your mixer or interferface dumps on you during a gig can you make it? I thought about that long and hard this weekend while at a show and realized "well yes, I have a backup ready...but some of the needed cables are in this bag, the mixer is over here, hope to god I still have that 1/8th stereo to dual male RCA..." and as a result I went out bought a little sterilite case from home depot and put a wired mic, a mini mixer and power supply, various rca patch cables, and a 25ft 1/4 patch to run to my speakers. On my main setup I always have my main computer on, a backup laptop next to it, and a backup ipod should all else fail....well what if the mixer fails or my 4500 or serato? I am all set now :-D

steve

Posted Mon 19 Apr 10 @ 12:42 pm
i have triple redundancy whenever I play. Primary of course being the ns7 with the macbook. My secondary is a sony viao running the vci300. I use a pair of cloned 2tb drives and for the third I have my ipod on shuffle. I use a little mackie mixer to tie everything together, I can make a seamless switch to any source this way. Once I have a few more gigs with the ns7 I'll start taking some picture from the show.

Posted Mon 19 Apr 10 @ 1:06 pm
I never take any backup .... I never have since I started digital DJ'ing in 1999 and I've never crashed out .... must be luck!

Here are some pics of my setup and the club I work in, a bit dark but you get the idea :)

Posted Mon 19 Apr 10 @ 2:38 pm
Lookin good their Keith. What skin is that your using? BTW my mac has never crashed live at a gig but if it ever does I'm ready :)

Posted Mon 19 Apr 10 @ 2:58 pm
It's Zanard's X12, perfect in 1920 x 1200

http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/9459/x_12_variations.html

It doesn't convert perfectly for mac, you need to play about with some of the text sizes and font names to get it to your taste but once done it's excellent. Also doesn't help that tooltips don't seem to work on mac skins as a lot of the buttons are not named on the skin.

It's a shame there are so few skins to support the Apple monitor resolutions though ......

Posted Mon 19 Apr 10 @ 3:21 pm

well its not high res but you get the just.

SKB DJ Shuttle
BBE 362i
Monster Power Center
Wireless Mic
Denon HC450) interface
Denon X500 mixer
random rack space vents
SKB Shelf deal that collapses down on top of the mixer when not in use.

Posted Tue 20 Apr 10 @ 7:54 pm
That looks similar to the mac setup I was using before stlaurents, I really liked mine too I had to sell it when my mac mobo died from the 8600mgt problem awhile back.

Posted Tue 20 Apr 10 @ 8:59 pm
NICE!

Yeah I am a big fan of the DENON X Control feature...stumbled upon it on the forum or else I would have never known!! That pic was from when I was messing around in my kitchen...it was on my washer.. usually there is a windows machine next to it as a backup.

Posted Wed 21 Apr 10 @ 9:47 am
Trust me I ran my setup for 2 years it was really hard to give over full cue/pfl control to VDJ like you have to with the ns7 this is why I still use another mixer before the speakers.

Posted Wed 21 Apr 10 @ 2:07 pm
Live with the ns7 little mobile charity thing I did today.

sorry about the photo quality it was on my phone, why do all phone cameras suck?

Posted Thu 22 Apr 10 @ 8:51 pm
Hey, Cyder: What road case is that for the Denon HC 4500 and X500 mixer? I dig it.

-Dax

Posted Fri 23 Apr 10 @ 11:26 am
that would be this one here

Posted Fri 23 Apr 10 @ 12:47 pm
Back from another sucessful show with 6.08

Posted Sun 02 May 10 @ 12:35 am
Hey Cyder, what skin is that you are using? Thanks. Mike

Posted Fri 07 May 10 @ 4:37 pm
25%