Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Traktor dj sounds better - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

leeroyPRO InfinityMember since 2005
i downloaded a demo of traktor dj and loaded an mp3 up and played it. Then i played the same mp3 on virtual dj and the difference hits you in the face! Traktor dj seems clearer. It costs £139, not alot extra to ask for better quality- after all it is music we are listening to!! Its a bit like choosing between SANYO and SONY- you pay extra for sony, but its worth it.
So my thoughts are- i notice that you can buy final scratch timecoded vinyl that work with traktor dj for £35 a pair and then maybe a maya 44 for about £100.

£100+
£139+
£ 35
------
£274 total

So for £274 i can have a good setup. But then you can buy final scratch 1.5 for £275 which has a better audio interface than the maya.
So after purchasing VDJ for £83 i now feel like i made a mistake. I am hoping someone can reasure me that i havent, and somewhere in VDJ settings there maybe a solution- however i'm not feeling confident.
any thoughts, facts and opinions that may bring me out of my depression! please advise.
oh... will the VDj timecoded vinyl work with traktor dj.

Posted Thu 12 May 05 @ 1:21 am
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Well the first thing you might try is disabling the TimeStretch algorithm (under FAME Settings). I don't know why it is set 'enabled' by default, I personally think it needs lots of improvement.

The VDj timecoded vinyl very probably doesn't work with traktor. These algorithms are under legal protection and are usually not exchangable between concurent companys.

Regards,
erXon

Posted Thu 12 May 05 @ 1:34 am
i disabled the timestretch feature immediately after installing vdj. I prefer the pitch up sound as i think it adds energy to any track. I even pitch up any tunes that i make in Cubase as standard, as do alot of people who make their own music. I run my master through a Peavey cosmos 'rattles your planet', this makes it sound excellent though. Thanks for advice.

Posted Thu 12 May 05 @ 1:49 am
cyberiaPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I don't understand how so many DJs on this forum use this "inferior" software in some of the biggest clubs around the globe. Also, dude, why didn't you get Traktor's demo before purchasing the VDJ?

I'll be honest, I got VDJ over a year ago because it was the highest-ranking demo download on dowload.com, with so many positive reviews. I didn't try Traktor. For now, VDJ serves my needs, but I'll give another software a chance if someone confirms that Traktor is indeed superior.

Yes, I do feel bad discussing another product on VDJ's board :).

Posted Thu 12 May 05 @ 2:08 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Try to raise the gain of every song, use always match @-3 or -4 db for example. I hear a distortion @ 0db sometimes. This is the second comes in my mind after the Time stretching.
Also i assume you dont use the software eq and/or plugins when doing the test..
Then try the new feature of changing the internal (lame) decoder with others installed.
Try Windows media player decoder for mp3. It uses the Frauhofer decoder the same used in Traktor. Try to hear Virtual dj and Traktor at the same volumes when compare them.

Let me know

Posted Thu 12 May 05 @ 4:42 am
Dont worry about saying so at VDJ forum ;)
We have room for that

I tried Traktor, Mixvibes, DJdecks and VDJ before choosing to go with VDJ

Traktor is far less good than VDJ in my eyes.. Or else I would not have choosen VDJ for my gigs :)

Posted Thu 12 May 05 @ 12:39 pm
Man-TkPRO InfinityMember since 2004
FS sounds better than vdj 2.1

Posted Thu 12 May 05 @ 2:48 pm
If you say so... I disagree totally ;)

VDJ uses the legendary LAME encoder, and WMP encoders.
Sound is great.

I do not have any timestretch or limiter applied...

Posted Thu 12 May 05 @ 3:19 pm
I to love VDJ but we all know that the sound could be better. VDJ is still better then FS.

Posted Thu 12 May 05 @ 3:21 pm
Well.. dev team is not quitting... lol ;) they are still improving and developing VDJ in a tempo that NO OTHER dj software is, so its not going to end here...hehe ;)

Its getting better and better in a good speed ;) 2.1 is awesome in my eyes... I LOVE IT ;)

And not only does Dev Team of VDJ develop the software at a great speed, the updates have also been free for all members... Thats just plain UNIQUE :)

Posted Thu 12 May 05 @ 3:25 pm
bla bla bla ok ok ok ...... but we all know that the sound could be better !!!

and yes VDJ is the best dj software , but all we know the limitations !!

Posted Thu 12 May 05 @ 7:51 pm
As a Pro DJ I have played on strictly vinyl since i started 15 years ago , only picked up cd 2 years ago. I swore I would NEVER go PC. A friend intro'd me to VDJ awhile back. After checking out TK , PCDJ ( laughs) and a slew of other progs , VDJs user friendly screens, options , skins , efx ........ ALL impressed me to the point of useing full time in the club. IMHO TK didnt even come close

Posted Fri 13 May 05 @ 12:18 am
thankyou apopsis and everyone for advice. sounds more better with windows media decoder. all i have to do now is make my citronic cd work with vdj. i cannot get a timecode signal. when i play cd, everything is fine, i can adjust pitch control and vdj follows acurately. but when i want to cue it back up it just stays in the same position on the track. i know you need to be above 50 percent to be able to do this. i am using my onboard sound on my laptop, with asio for all ( timecoded vinyl and audio interface on order). i am new to this kind of mixing but am finding my way (me use 1210s normally and citronic cd-2.) any advice would be great. even just to get one cd working till my proper audio interface and tcv arrives would satisfy me that i purchased the correct software now it sounds better.
thanks. these forums are a big help.

Posted Fri 13 May 05 @ 2:22 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
with auto-config i got 100% (autoconfig force me to use riaa but it works better) with AC97 onboard card and asio4all

Posted Fri 13 May 05 @ 2:58 am
tried that but says error- no time code signal found?

Posted Fri 13 May 05 @ 5:32 am
djchillPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Leeroy there is no way yu can compare tractordj with virtualdj.I am sure everyone will agree that the features in virtualdj is more powerful and more advanced than tracktordj.Virtualdj is way ahead of tracktordj and the others.But why sacrifice features for sound quality.I think the crowd responds more to the perfect mixes that yu can do with virtualdj because of it advanced features than sound quality.......If yu say that tracktordj is more better than virtualdj then yu do not know anything about acctually being a dj.Yu should try to learn how to mix tunes first before yu make those kind of 'newbie' statements.

Posted Fri 13 May 05 @ 3:42 pm
i am a 'newbie' to mp3 mixing with software. i have been mixing with turntables for 12 years. i was simply comparing sound quality and nothing else. i can do perfect mixes therefore i do not need the advanced features. which is why sound quality in any program would be my 1st choice. But i have overcome sound quality issues and am satisfye but now experiencing cueing problems due to low timecode signal which i have temporarily given up on(as its the weekend). i can appreciate the benefits of the extra features in VDJ. I am confident that members on this forum will help me overcome any problems i have .

Posted Fri 13 May 05 @ 4:46 pm
SharanPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Do you own Traktor to make such claims ?

Native Instruments is a company that makes professional audio software for years. They even teamed up with StantonMagnetics, so Traktor can be used with Finalscratch 2! A software used around the globe by many professional(!!) DJ's.

I dont want to talk bad about VDJ. It's a nice program for people with low budgets! But claiming Traktor would be worse than VDJ is ridiculous.

And... btw... i own Traktor DJ Console Edition. The sound is far better than VDJ and its bug-free!! Only thing i dont like about is that i cant use my external mixer with it. But now as VDJ is heading towards mixing videos - which IMO is totally useless for most users - i will purchase the full version of it so i can use my external mixer finally.

Posted Fri 13 May 05 @ 4:48 pm
dj chill : "why sacrifice features for sound quality" :BECAUSE THE SOUND IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING .and of course : the music

we don't need more features ...we are djs ..all we need is a better sound quality - video ?? it's OK but first is : Sound quality
I'm happy with VDJ ..I think is better than FS (interface) but FS sounds better ...

we are talking only about sound quality !!!!

Posted Fri 13 May 05 @ 4:55 pm
yes man tk, i agree sound quality must come first. and something easy to use and set up.

Posted Fri 13 May 05 @ 5:02 pm
47%