Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Fastest Crash Ever! - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi serbian_dj. I'm supposed to be taking a break from posting in these forums but I just wanted to chime in after you experienced what many of us have, the dreaded crash. I'll agree with you in that this crash probably has nothing to do with system config or external controllers. But it got me thinking about something. If I could get everyone who is having the crash problem run "winmsd" on their system and save a report and send me the file. I could quickly write a program to try and find commonalities in the system hardware, loaded drivers and components. It would be easy to see for instance, if everyone who is experiencing the crash is running a particular ATI video card for instance. It would also be very easy to immediately see how many of the crash users have IRQ conflicts, or really about anything else that can be mined from the data.

I just double checked and winmsd should be included with every OS that VDJ runs on, so the reports would be easy enough to generate. So how about it? How many of you crash users would be willing to save a winmsd report of your system and mail it to me? Remember, I'll have to do the hard part, which is write the program that will mine the reports looking for various things.

I will say however, that I don't think there is any commonality of these systems - except that we are running VDJ and it crashes. But it's easy enough to do and it's worth a shot. I'll also say that this is somethign Atomix should be doing, not me. Since they are not, then I guess I will. They are welcome to my findings if I get enough people to agree to send me files to make it worthwhile.

Oh yeah, and don't worry serbian_dj, there is no personal information or anything that can be used to identify you personally in a winmsd report.

Posted Mon 07 Mar 05 @ 5:46 pm
BarglerPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I would be more than willing to contribute my system specs for your data mining, anewsome.

Posted Mon 07 Mar 05 @ 10:13 pm
nice idea anewsome

I have SERIOISLY never had such a crash! really... would not be relying on VDJ on every live gig I have, if I ever had such a crash.,,, lol :)

But if there could be found a common factor for user having such issues, it would be great for ironing out such a bug

Posted Tue 08 Mar 05 @ 12:37 am
im down

i fixed my crash though. it was a bad one too.
the no error, just Straight CRASH!. it really bothered me for a bit, but i installed every single driver for my computer, and made sure to update EVERYTHING, and it somehow fixed it.

were do i send this report?

Posted Tue 08 Mar 05 @ 3:59 am
myselfPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Anewsome, I'm in!
I have a 'Crash after 5hrs' post in the technical forum. I don't even use anything on it, nor scratching effects etc, just mixing one track to another.It's driving me mad. I have to re-boot half way thru a gig. I didn't know about winmsd, but I'll save one when it crashes tonight. I too have tried everything in the tweaks guide etc. Cheers.
Craig.

Posted Wed 09 Mar 05 @ 3:29 pm
BarglerPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I just had the mysterious "no-symptom" crash again this evening.

I didn't even backspin past the beginning of the song. In fact, I had set a loop just inside the start position of the song to prevent this exact thing from happening. Both decks were within 2% of their native pitch, but I *do* use pitch bending when mixing. I might experiment with pitch bending off tomorrow, and see if the problem persists, but frankly I'm getting tired of wrestling with a well documented bug that hasn't even been properly acknowledged.

Where did all the updates go? The list of user-known bugs is getting out of hand.

Posted Mon 14 Mar 05 @ 9:43 am
hey anewsome.. i tried and i tried, but i couldnt get it to crash.. I'll quite happily add to your list of people that run that prog =D

@ DoubleO, woopsie.. silly me lol.. i hadnt read that thread before =D

Posted Mon 14 Mar 05 @ 12:43 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
@anewsome
I'm in too.
You should write your idea in the "e-service" or in the "new features" as dev team can't all read and so they don't really read general forum.
Propose to the team your help and maybe dev team will agree

In a communauty, help is useful

Posted Mon 14 Mar 05 @ 12:50 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)