Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Fastest Crash Ever! - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Ok everyone. I think I've set a new record. Fastest VDJ crash ever! I came home from work today with a fresh playlist of around 20 songs I was going to make a mix cd from. I loaded up the tracks, started the video camera, started the other laptop to record, started track 1 on deck 1 of VDJ. Track two was already loaded on deck 2 so I went to cue spot one to listen through headphones and hit play on beat to listen to and double check the beat match. A little off, so I spun the wheel of the XP10 backwards to get to the start of the track and bamm! Before I even got to the start of the track, poof, VDJ was gone. Total time to crash, maybe 30 seconds!

No scratching, no effects, no EQ, no fader. No nothing. Pitch was at 0 on deck one, and + a few percent on deck 2. Mindblowing.

The more I use VDJ, the more I like it. The more I use VDJ, the more I'm scared this thing will crash during a performance. Wait a sec,... that's already happened during a performance.

Posted Fri 04 Mar 05 @ 8:23 am
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
i have to think your problem is with your setup, i know everything seems like it should work without a hitch but you seem to be having more problems then usual. if you didn't use the xp10's would this still happen? i'd be willing to bet that it wouldn't happen if you used TCV (assuming this is a USB glitch) but if you really like scratch mixing then why would you go with xp10's? TCV is much more real feeling, hey if you got the cash to burn i'd buy a nice cd player and try timecoded cd scratch up a pioneer, similar to xp10 with no USB. i don't know i'm just a troubleshooter by labor so i try to help out, what soundcard are you using? ever try a different one? since i don't have VDJ yet, and not sure if it possible can you go backwards to an earlier version? VDJ really needs any error log, it should have had on from the start since stability was always a question, now people seem to have it working or not, just depends on the luck of the user.

Posted Fri 04 Mar 05 @ 3:22 pm
Listen2, you make some good points and I agree with your approach in general.

@anewsome, I think you should take a breath and evaluate your situation a little more. You seem to be going at 100mph. I applaud your efforts to expose an issue by making the video etc. available and I think your intentions are good, but I think you can do more by checking your PC environment carefully before and after these crashes.

How about these thiungs ?

1. Is your laptop completely dedicated to vDJ ? Meaning there is no other program or process that loads except what is needed for the OS to function ? I firmly believe that your tool will perform best on a dedicated platform. That is not to say that vDJ will not work flawlessly in a cluttered environment, but your chances of problems would surely be elevated.

2. Have you looked at the Windows Event log to see if there is any useful clues captured around the time of your crash ? (System/Application/Security logs)

As listen2 suggests, logging is always the best way to troubleshoot problems. There may be some utility you can find on the web that could do some sort of logging that may yield some useful information. Since anewsome you are able to reproduce the crash fairly often, you would be a "hero" if you could discover something along these lines. [:o)

Posted Fri 04 Mar 05 @ 4:16 pm
do you use a direct usb connection? how about trying a hub? usb 2.0 or 1 ? or maybe changing the usb driver. also i was wondering if these were VCD xp10's or direct form eks?

Posted Fri 04 Mar 05 @ 5:07 pm
i just got another idea.......... try not using the soundcard in the xp10's use an external one, even if you only can hook one up, scratch the hell out of it and see if it will crash. is it possible to set an xp10 up like a midi controller? output from pc soundcard to xp10 (not using its own soundcard), then to the mixer? classic external setup.

Posted Fri 04 Mar 05 @ 5:36 pm
These posts kill me. These people who think there is something wrong with my setup, they kill me. listen2, no offense, but you have no idea what you are talking about. Ever use VDJ? Ever use it with an external controller? If you have and you've never seen a crash, then consider yourself lucky. There are PLENTY of users on this board who've seen the exact same problem that I have. I know that you are trying to help out but these lame suggestions are just the same old stuff spit back at me by different users. I know it's probably not likely that you've seen my MANY posts on these crash topics dating back to mid-December of last year, but I've already addressed every suggestion made in this thread regarding the crashes.

So I'll reiterate:

* listen2: No I don't use the program without the XP10s. That's why I bought the XP10s, to use them with VDJ. VDJ without my XP10s is utterly useless for me and my XP10s without VDJ are equally as useless. If VDJ without the XP10s is stable and doesn't crash, then who cares? The only people that are OK with this are people who don't use external controllers, ie; not me!

* listen2: Doesn't happen with TCV? Are you serious? Read my other posts, "A New Style Of Crashing", "A Video Of The Famous Crash Behavoir" and many others. Those threads are laced with TCV users and TCCD users who have the EXACT same problem. Not kinda, not a little bit, EXACTLY the same problem. It's not a USB problem it's not an external mixer problem, it's not a sound card built into the XP10 problem.

* listen2: Why would I go with XP10 instead of TCV? Have you ever used XP10s? Ever used TCV? I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say probably not. But if you have and you prefer TCV, then I'm ok with that. You sampled what is out there and made the decision to use what's best for you. Congrats. I've used vinyl for many years and I'm not too enamoured with them for digital DJing. Firstly, I have 0 records so without some sort of TCV setup, the 1200s would be paperweights. Secondly, have you seen my pictures of my custom XP10/mixer/laptop coffin. It's tight. 25x30 inches. Let's see you fit all that functionality in that space using a TCV setup. It's not possible. I like TCV, I like TCCD too. I like the XP10s better.

* listen2: My PC does not use a soundcard. The soundcard is built into each XP10.

* listen2: Go back to an earlier version? Well my first version of VDJ was 1.09 that came with the Hercules DJ Console. This version had the SAME EXACT CRASH problem. Also confirmed this with other users on this forum, they had the same exact crash problem with their HDJC. It's not just me! Yes there are plenty of users who chime in and say that VDJ never crashes on them, but there are way more users who chime in and say VDJ does crash on them. Their crash experience is always very similar to mine.

* digijoc-Mele: take a breath and evaluate? Are you serious? If there is anyone putting any constructive effort into trying to get these problems fixed, it's me. I've been using VDJ since mid-December. I had it crash on my at my first party I DJ'd, with a packed dance floor looking at me like wtf just happened and why is the room silent. Ever since then I've been doing everything I can to bring this problem to the attention of the developers and share experiences with users who are having the same problem. Take a breath? I read these forums every single day and I post constructive answers to questions from other users and I don't see ANYONE on these forums bringing to light the crash issues as well as I do. I've made videos, sound clips, detailed my setup many times and even tried VDJ on 4 different FRESHLY LOADED PCs using different setups, hard drives, operating systems, etc. One thing in common though, VDJ crashes on ALL of them.

* digijoc-Mele: Is my laptop completely dedicated to VDJ? Yes. The computer has absolutely ZERO additional programs loaded. Every computer that I've tried VDJ on have been FRESHLY LOADED, DEDICATED systems. They do not go on the internet, they do not have office installed, they don't have email, they don't do anything except run VDJ. When I say freshly loaded I mean the hard drive was formated and a fresh operating system was installed. NO other applications get installed and no other applications run while VDJ is running. Add to that, this new Dell laptop was just purchased a few weeks ago with the single intent as being a stable VDJ system. I unboxed it from Dell, installed VDJ and within 5 minutes VDJ crashed. And it's not my XP10s, the same crash has happened in the past with my Hercules. Read my other posts, the SAME EXACT crashes are happening with TCV users and TCCD users. You think you've seen frustration before? Go buy a $2000 laptop only to find out these crashes are still going to happen, we'll see how frustrated you are then.

* digijoc-Mele: My environment is not cluttered. It is spotless. One of my other posts has a post from a guy who has removed more stuff from windows than I have even. I am confident that this problem is not caused by anything else on my laptop. There is nothing else on my laptop!

* digijoc-Mele: Even when I used Windows 200 Professional, which has a real event log, there is absolutely nothing in the event log. Not even Atomix's own crashguard has anything to say abou this. Matter of fact, with the dozens of crashes I've seen, I've never once had crashguard do anything other than sit there and take up disk space, it is utterly useless as far as I can see.

* digijoc-Mele: Agreed that logging would be best. Unfortunately that is not something I can implement on my own. That is something Atomix would have to put into the program. There has to be some way to track down these crashes.

* digijoc-Mele: Yes I am able to reproduce the crashes pretty easily but then again, other times I am not. The first day I got my video camera, while the battery was charging I got a crash. Then I went crazy trying to get it to crash again. Same songs loaded, same behavoir, no crash. Night before last, same thing, I went absolutely nuts trying to get it to crash and I could not. I had 3 effects going on each deck, loops on each deck, scratching both wheels at the same time like an absolute madman and VDJ was rock solid, no crashes and CPU never went above 15% and more than half of my 1GB of ram was unused. Then I cue up to do a SIMPLE, very simple, no scratch, punch in and crossfade mix and that's when VDJ decides to crash. It doesn't make any sense.

* listen2: I've used direct USB to the built in USB connectors. I've used a $60 card I bought at CompUSA. I've used a belkin 4-port powered USB hub. I've used 4, count em 4 different computers! What do they all have in common? They all work perfectly and VDJ still crashes. The USB driver in all cases is the driver included with Windows, ie; the same exact driver everyone else on this forum uses.

* listen2: It is not possible to use the XP10 with an external sound card. Same goes for my Hercules. I will make you a promise though. If this crash turns out to be caused by the built in soundcard in the XP10 or the built in soundcard of the Hercules DJC, I'll admit I'm wrong and write you a check for $100. In other words, it's not the soundcard built into the XP10. I'm that confident of it.

Listen guys, I am not trying to be combative or dismiss your suggestions as not helpful but you have to understand that I am frustrated by these crashes. I've seen posts from everyone suggesting maybe my CPU is too hot or my hard drive too slow or I've got a virus, or you name it. This crash is not a problem with my setup, it is not a problem with my soundcards. I'd just like to see these problems get fixed and fixed fast. I have a very big gig next saturday night and this is the software I'm going to use, fully aware of it's propensity to crash at the wrong times. I've already decided no scratching during performance, that would be suicide. And I already know that the IPOD will be on standby, piped into input 3 of the mixer. I just hope I don't have to use it.

Posted Fri 04 Mar 05 @ 7:22 pm
rather longwinded...............but ok

anewsome* i can tell that your fed up with YOUR crashing! and i'm not saying that its a glitch that needs not to be fixed. But if there was some sort of workaround that you could live with why don't try it. Spending $2000 on a new pc is just crazy, if the one you have should work with it then a $20,000 pc won't work either, BUT i'm not telling you how to spend your money, geez i can't even buy a copy of VDJ with TCV. Don't be mad at us that try to help when your anger should be towards atomix, cuz i'll just tell you to build a custom box for yourself to play in and be done with you, but thats not my style, i wouldn't have offered to help in the first place. I know you fed up! thats why i offered to help! Well since you tried the USB route then why not try and cut out those internal built-in soundcards and use one in the pc, and i'm not talking a maya 44, just a simple basic run-of-the-mill soundcard. one xp10 at a time, then both. you can try two soundcards or just split the signal. this is just to try.....what do you have to lose? $100?

Posted Fri 04 Mar 05 @ 8:59 pm
first of all dont shout all of you
With shouting out you dont get anything more.
second of all similar posts should be made in technical support forum and not in general

[piece mode]
third.About the problem i assume from my expirience that the team is working on that but i am not sure that all that problems caused by vdj only because i have worked more than 10 hours playing with vdj and i didnt had problems although that i dont scrach in the way that you do.So stay calm as you can and wait for the update.As you say you tried everything that a human brain can think and still have problems.So according to your opinion only the update will help you.So wait for it.[/piece mode]

Posted Fri 04 Mar 05 @ 9:25 pm
Dimitris please post your specs and then try like hell to crash it (assuming you have xp10's)

(calm voice) no one was yelling

Posted Fri 04 Mar 05 @ 10:15 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Peace mode indeed! :-)
It's important to remember that VirtualDJ is currently being used by many thousand people. When 1 of them describes a problem that he/she is having, usually others will jump in and say "hey I had the same problem... here's what I did." That's how forums work. Or in the worst case, others will jump in complaining that they too have the same problem and can't fix it. At that point it becomes a problem for the developers. The voluntary team members who frequent these forums point out the thread to the developers, and if the problem is identifiable, repeatable, and re-occuring, the developers will work on it. They DO NOT make posts in the forum to say that they are working on it. If that was the case, they would spend valuable time here in the forums instead of working on reported issues.
Your problem has been reported here repeatedly. The people developing this software are certainly aware that you are having this problem. The team members who come here are not privy to what new features or "fixes" the development team is working on.
Stay clam. If your issue is software related, they are on the case. Also know that this software was extensively tested before it was released, and is continualy tested prior to each upgrade. It could be that there is something about your configuration that differs from everybody elses out there. Therefore, wouldn't be picked up in normal testing. Meanwhile, do everything that you can do to insure that your problems are not hardware related. (begin with the cables. the cables are always the weakest links) USB cables are notorous for loosing contact. If in the middle of your mix, one or both of your xp-10's gets a good bump, the usb cable can get momentarily disconnected. This would have a possible variety of ill effects. Including a crash.

Posted Fri 04 Mar 05 @ 10:26 pm
thanks for the words dimitris. i can appreciate that you run vdj for 10 hours with no crash. i can tell you that if i ran vdj for 10 hours and did not do any scratching or use the wheels on my xp10 (or hercules) then it would not crash either. so yes, i do know the workaround for the crashing. don't use the wheels at all. luckily my songs for the set are all cue set and bpm'd properly so i could probably get throgh the entire set with minimal wheel usage. my point is, i shouldn't have to do this.

and yes i know that posting and re-posting stories of my crashes constantly are not going to help get the problem fixed faster. like when someone asks me "are you done yet" every 10 minutes. i have to explain to them that i am not going to get done any faster no matter how many times they ask me.

i use vdj every day. that's right, every single day for at a minimum for 2 hours. sometimes to make a new mix cd and sometimes to practice putting together the right mix and sometimes to practice scratching and now i can say i've seen crashes in just about all uses.

i'll take the bait though and resurrect my Dell tower PC this weekend. I'll install a new hard drive, load a fresh copy of Windows 2000 Professional, load VDJ and use my Hercules DJC without the hercules drivers, as a few in these forums have looked into their crystal ball and decided that the hercules drivers cause vdj to crash. on second thought, maybe i'll just use the mouse to scratch since i think i can demonstrate this crash using the mouse. so that will be no xp10, no hercules and no usb sound card. actually nothing connected to the pc at all other than keyboard, mouse, monitor and power cord. no ethernet connection or anything else. the os will be windows 2000 professional. i'll try to document irqs of all devices, running processes, memtest86 memory test printouts (if possible) and cpu temperature. and any other suggested causes of the crash (am i forgetting anything)?

and listen2, i tried to be a little more brief on that post :-)

Posted Fri 04 Mar 05 @ 10:31 pm
hi dj rick. thanks for chiming in. yes you are correct in that cables can indeed be a weak link. of course that is also possible in my situation here, but i don't think it's likely. i have a number of high quality cables at home and it would be easy enough to swap them out. the thing is, that tcv users and tccd users experience the EXACT same problem when scratching/backcueing at the begining of a track. those guys have no cables in their equation at all, well no usb cables at least.

in the dozens of times vdj has crashed on me this is the only time it happens. when scratching or backcueing at the begining of the track. not in the middle, not in the end, only at the begining of the track.

now i know that it is entirely possible that a cable or system setup problem can manifest itself by only crashing at the begining of a track while scratching or backcueing, i'm just having a hard time believing it.

rick, i've been working in technology for more than 2 decades. i've done everything from large systems consulting to running a couple of my own businesses to being the cto of an internet company for 4 years and now i am with a fortune 500 company here in irvine, ca (US). i've seen my share of *very* weird things indeed. things you would not even believe, like flourescent lights causing ethernet packet loss and power cable emi causing communication lines to go whacky. so yes, with that history i do think anything and everything is possible. it's that same history that gives me the confidence to say it's probably not the cables, especially since the problem only manifests itself under very specific circumstances as mentioned above.

my reasoning is that, if it were a cable problem it would happen at random times, not only at the begining of the track. did i also mention that this happened with my hdjc and my xp10? both were using different (new) cables. i know that does not necessarily rule them out. but hopefully you can see my reasoning here.

Posted Fri 04 Mar 05 @ 10:46 pm
by the way rick, have you seen my crash video?

Posted Fri 04 Mar 05 @ 10:49 pm
So, I have used one xp10 for 1 month with vdj. No crashes. I did scratching sessions over 3 or more hours. I also used the very good xp10 soundcart. Sorry, that I repeat that, but the xp10 s are made for the use with Bison. Please give that a try and you will feel the difference that is a much better latency, when releasing the wheel and of course for you the much better stabillity.

I had the luck, that I could return my xp10 to the retailer after 1 month. Now, 2 Vestax PDX 2000 tacke place of the xp10. I am not quit shure, which DJ software I will buy but it seems to be VDJ in use with the TCV.

Don t argue yourself for the rest of your life with these little controllers. And I want to say... Your custom made xp 10 "table" (sorry I don t know a better english word) is great !

Peace

Posted Fri 04 Mar 05 @ 11:32 pm
supamisiu, i did try the bison software when i first got my xp10. it is still installed on my old computer but i only installed vdj on the new system. i will say that bison seems solid! i like the simplicity of it and the low latency was very nice. if it had a bpm analyser and overlapping waveforms i would use bison and never look back. as far as i know, bison doesn't crash. but then again, i don't hang out in the bison forums (if there is such a thing),... i hang out here :-)

Posted Fri 04 Mar 05 @ 11:43 pm
well anewsome, guess what?

i fixed that shit. probably not what you want to hear, but i fixed it mang. i had to reformat my hard drive like a month ago, so in all the re-installing of my drivers and such, i forgot my N-Force drivers for my motherboard. i remembered to put my video drivers there, but not the N-Force.

on a side note, i also messed around with a bug/crash on my laptop that was a driver related issue as well. my laptop needed a newer video driver, and i just about updated every driver, and removed anything unnecasary from it. it fixed it, and now i can play OCTGN without a crash

you dont need to dedicate your whole system to VDJ. its not that complicated of a program. its a very picky program, and it requires your PC to be in tip top shape, and not one thing out of line. if you scratch like me, that is.

i would suggest to do this

click start, all programs, accessories, system tools, and start system information

once there, click hardware resources, and then conflists/sharing. check to see if anything is trying to share a IRQ with your videocard, or sound card.

try going into your device manager, and make sure that all your drivers are installed correctly, and that there are no "!".

you may have already done this. try it again damnit. im sure you will fix it.

i too am convinced that the problem is in the XP10s. i dont know why. maybe not that they are bad, but that they arent properly talking to VDJ. i think you need to do some tinkering with you PC/laptop

Posted Sat 05 Mar 05 @ 1:18 pm
first time in my life it happend! I was scratching with my mouse for fun when I was on my phone and BANG! Virtual DJ crashes! Just turned off, like nothing happened! no sound, no crashguard, no nothing! So, my opinion is: no matter what you are using, hercules, tcv, xp-10's, problem is in program, not in external controlers.
note: I AM using legal version, so it is not because it's a cracked!

Posted Mon 07 Mar 05 @ 8:45 am
then serbian_dj, someones gunna ask you to put your serial into your profile ;)

anyway.. back to the topic.

anewsome, i've ordered the maya44 for use with my TCVs, and i'll give it some rigorous testing when i get it set up... all i need to know, is that your having the problem when back-cueing the track to the start?

Like I said i'll take a look, and see if it happens to me.
Steve

Posted Mon 07 Mar 05 @ 1:05 pm

Posted Mon 07 Mar 05 @ 1:08 pm
oh no lets not .....once a month well grab one hehehe

Posted Mon 07 Mar 05 @ 3:12 pm
71%