Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: HARMONIC KEY MIXING - SIMPLIFIED [with Virtual DJ] - Page: 3

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Glad that I helped, enjoy!

Syberman

Posted Wed 07 Jan 09 @ 9:22 pm
cheres for posting this guys. started a practice set and decided to try the camolot colum. it sugested a lot of tunes that ive not played / listened to in ages. gonna print this out and stick it in the booth somewhere. does seratro have this feature (could be another point to use to get people interested)

Posted Thu 08 Jan 09 @ 7:19 am

Serato doesnt ;)

Posted Thu 08 Jan 09 @ 7:34 am
with serato you would need mixed in ket or simular (if there is simular) and add info to comments. I personally am using mixed in key now cause i want the keys permanatly in the song file so i can work on ideas with pad and pencil or itunes while i have my laptop at the book store or coffee shop

Posted Thu 08 Jan 09 @ 10:12 am
I know this must have been asked before....but i have heard you guys talk about the harmonic key mixing, is there any site, or can anyone of you explain to me how it works? I would really love to understand this technique in order to become a better DJ.

Thank you,

Mindtwister3d

Posted Thu 08 Jan 09 @ 2:08 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
mindtwister3d wrote :
I know this must have been asked before....but i have heard you guys talk about the harmonic key mixing, is there any site, or can anyone of you explain to me how it works? I would really love to understand this technique in order to become a better DJ.

Thank you,

Mindtwister3d

Go back to the first page of this thread..examples of the wheel and explanations are there....

Posted Thu 08 Jan 09 @ 2:15 pm
TearEmUp wrote :
mindtwister3d wrote :

Thank you,

Mindtwister3d

Go back to the first page of this thread..examples of the wheel and explanations are there....

LOL,

i did, but i was lost, that is why i ask, i guess i need to start with some basic music lessons perhaps????

Mindtwister3d

Posted Thu 08 Jan 09 @ 2:32 pm
Did you notice the highlighted examples?...that is about as simple as it can get. Either that or, just go up one, or down one from the song playing. See how that works....

Posted Thu 08 Jan 09 @ 2:39 pm
i think what so people may be missing is the fact that this is not a (mix by numbers solution) It is more like song sugestion , playlist help . It is not a system that mixes for you

Posted Thu 08 Jan 09 @ 2:41 pm
sirkitbreaker wrote :
not a (mix by numbers solution) It is more like song sugestion

That part of your statement boils it all down. It does not tell you what to play, it only helps you as a place to start looking for the next song.

Posted Thu 08 Jan 09 @ 2:47 pm
sirkitbreaker wrote :
i think what so people may be missing is the fact that this is not a (mix by numbers solution) It is more like song sugestion , playlist help . It is not a system that mixes for you

I understand that, but i have discussed this with fellow friends, lightly, but we all believe finding the right harmony between songs lets you produce a great mix, i will read more deeply on the matter, because i really want to understand the whole concept better.

Mindtwister3d

Posted Thu 08 Jan 09 @ 2:50 pm
yes it's like guidelines for smooth mixing almost :P

Posted Thu 08 Jan 09 @ 2:52 pm
mindtwister3d wrote :

I understand that, but i have discussed this with fellow friends, lightly, but we all believe finding the right harmony between songs lets you produce a great mix, i will read more deeply on the matter, because i really want to understand the whole concept better.

Mindtwister3d

i am just hoping you dont go over board.... truly you need to use your ears and know your audience for a club. radio or mix tape. Marlyn Manson and charlotte church may be in the same key a lil wayne 'got money' but playing those on hiphop night may get you boo'd

Posted Thu 08 Jan 09 @ 5:01 pm
Amazing after all my years of mixing I never really thought of the whole Harmonic mixing until reading this post. I mean that, of course you mix the things that sound good together, but never thought about B minor versus B major too much. LOL

I might look more into it but I don't want to get too bogged down by the "technical" side or "science" of mixing...

MADD

Edit: LOL I just activated the Chamolet in VDJ and 90% of items in my playlist were in sync with the wheel...

Posted Thu 08 Jan 09 @ 5:19 pm
yeah my latest mix was all 8a,7a,9a ... imagine that i'm not tone deaf

Posted Thu 08 Jan 09 @ 5:46 pm
sirkitbreaker wrote :
mindtwister3d wrote :

Mindtwister3d

i am just hoping you dont go over board.... truly you need to use your ears and know your audience for a club. radio or mix tape. Marlyn Manson and charlotte church may be in the same key a lil wayne 'got money' but playing those on hiphop night may get you boo'd

No, not at all, and i do have judgement by ear about what should sound good with what, based on genre and all, but i think this will help me improve.

Mindtwister3d

Posted Fri 09 Jan 09 @ 8:02 am
Time to do some studying, aha

Posted Fri 07 Jun 13 @ 10:43 pm
For anyone interested in the background to this subject you just need to go to the MixedInKey website. plenty of information there.

Mixed In Key Website

I bought the program when I was using Tracktor before switching to VirtualDJ. It's so much easier when it's built in to VDJ.

You can also use it for your CD collection by sorting your CDs into the 12 keys in your CD wallet. ;-)

Posted Sun 09 Jun 13 @ 4:43 am
This thread was really informative on this subject. It definitely changes an ok mix to an awesome mix.

It sure would be useful as a sticky in the Mix Lessons Forum...Oh well.

Posted Wed 12 Jun 13 @ 11:42 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)