Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: HARMONIC KEY MIXING - SIMPLIFIED [with Virtual DJ] - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

i guess ;) are you a radio dj? ... hehe.. sorry, not familiar with that nickname out of the blue... Detonat?

Posted Mon 05 Jan 09 @ 8:45 am

Fixed Deto ;)

will make a post about how to go beyond the camelot system, and how to get out of "stuck in harmonics" by doing modulation mixes that Arman Van Buren and some of the international star djs apply all the time to give a boost in the mix or a lift for the dancefloor...

Posting it up soon ;)

Posted Mon 05 Jan 09 @ 8:50 am
TearEmUp wrote :
DJSoulman wrote :
digitalwiz wrote :
VDJ has the number system in their keys????
Never knew that .. have never seen it

Yeh!!!

VDJ 5.2.1 has a KEY column and also a CAMELOT column. Put your mouse on the titles of the columns and right mouse click, they are there in the list, just need a tick to switch them on!!!

Simply sort your lists by the CAMELOT column and............................... wow!

You may have to re-anaylise your database if it's been done by a previous version of VDJ, but, it's worth the time and effort!

Right mouse click the bar in the browser in VDJ. Add either Camalot, or key, or both. Then right click the little circle next to the search box and add whichever, or both, method you prefer.

Wow, that's waasssup! Man you guys just saved me from buying Mixed in Key, I had no idea VDJ had this feature. Good thing I found this thread thanks :)

Posted Mon 05 Jan 09 @ 9:39 am
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007

You might have to rescan your files to get the Key values,

Or you might be lucky and they are already there, depending on when you first scanned you files.

Posted Mon 05 Jan 09 @ 9:42 am
HKNYC wrote :

Man you guys just saved me from buying Mixed in Key, I had no idea VDJ had this feature. Good thing I found this thread thanks :)

Definitively dont have to buy Mixed in key if you have VDJ ;)
Not only does it not provide any info that VDJ cant, its also based on a 3rd party algorithm (not made by them), that is not as good as VDJ or Mixmeister....

Also, NONE of them are all correct, but that doesnt matter much, as long as one use ONE program to detect keys, so using something else than VDJ to detect keys for use in VDJ, would only give a poorer result than sticking to what one have ;)

Posted Mon 05 Jan 09 @ 10:27 am
yo-yo-pocket full of hoes on my ringtone...

dj andre landry was nice enough to show me this wheel.........thanks again

soulman: using the sort feature like ms excel spreadsheet hit me in the head one day too...makes sense via grouping

not all of the songs had the keys tho..seemed like all of the A's were there, eventually with a rescan (as suggested earlier) or by playing the song the key would show up in a similar manner as the bpm but still dont have keys for all songs (possible incentive to purchase software)...noticed that you have to play the song sometimes to get the bpm and/or camelot key/code?

at any rate, the camelot wheel has taken me through the dark forests of the knights of the roundtable wearing armour only on my knees and elbows.

at times i think that the camelot wheel may be unnecessary for djs---we should simply know which songs sound good together right? as a somewhat beginner dj (do we ever stop learning and call ourselves 'master' and have younger djs try to grab the needle from our hand faster than we can close our hand?)

however; the camelot wheel opened a lot of logical musical doors and for that i am thankful.

word life represent queensbridge to staten island kid

Posted Mon 05 Jan 09 @ 12:46 pm
dj-in-norway wrote :
HKNYC wrote :

Man you guys just saved me from buying Mixed in Key, I had no idea VDJ had this feature. Good thing I found this thread thanks :)

Definitively dont have to buy Mixed in key if you have VDJ ;)
Not only does it not provide any info that VDJ cant, its also based on a 3rd party algorithm (not made by them), that is not as good as VDJ or Mixmeister....

Also, NONE of them are all correct, but that doesnt matter much, as long as one use ONE program to detect keys, so using something else than VDJ to detect keys for use in VDJ, would only give a poorer result than sticking to what one have ;)

No doubt at all Norway, I been playing with this for a couple of hours and it's taking me to new levels. This is absoluttly da sh=@!
It read all my files as soon as, I marked the "key" and "camelot" did not have to scan anything.

And, I also found that you can switch around your titles which I been wanting to do like forever now :) I would've never new about that hidden little bar feature.

Good lookin out ;)

Posted Mon 05 Jan 09 @ 1:52 pm
ok so how do you rescan for this on a mac?

Posted Mon 05 Jan 09 @ 2:41 pm

just right click all songs in a folder (press down shift key to select), and choose rescan for bpm
Or a folder of music

Posted Mon 05 Jan 09 @ 3:59 pm
Seems like I've kicked up a storm here, but, a good storm :-)

Posted Tue 06 Jan 09 @ 2:40 am
Haui70PRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2008
Hello,
i'm one of the silly one. ;-)
Before i buyed the VDJ-Pro, i read a article in the internet.
So i look at them and buy a license from mixed in keys.
Short time later i buy the pro and read the german version of the vdj manual (great job armin!).
LMAO when i'm reading that mixed in keys is alredy included.

Since this time i'm loocking to go for the rules, not one step to the next.
Often 2 steps up or down and if it's sound in my "ears" right i go much more steps.
I don't like music that had no up and down.
I don't think that each combination works, so our ears must do the rest.
And this is good so, otherwise every mix sounds like the same.
Greetz
Haui

Posted Tue 06 Jan 09 @ 7:21 am
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
There are a lot of very successful DJs who use mixed in key. Most however are not married to it. You have to be flexible and "play out" of the system from time to time, just to shake it up a bit.

Posted Tue 06 Jan 09 @ 7:52 am
well my gig this saturday is at a spot that is know as request city so now i am going to load the request in a side list and mix them in where fits using camalot. I will record and analyse. but to me seems like a great way to mix types of music

Posted Tue 06 Jan 09 @ 7:57 am
sorry I should rephrase my post I use it quite a bit but I also go out of using it. my last radio mix I would stay within the +1 -1 range for awhile then go over the board by 10 or if i had a good feeling about a song i ignored the camelot # all together. It affects my mixing but it is not somthing I will only mix with.

If we all kept within the lines where would the creativity be?

It is more of a guidelines in a way :P

Posted Tue 06 Jan 09 @ 8:01 am
seems.. that as luck would have it by trying to provide information to fellow Djs I have been blessed with learning quite a few things...
As Shakespeare said.. "give and ye shall receive a hundred fold"....

Aww... think that was the bible actually.. .smile

Harmonic mixes rock....especially for short sets...(pity i cannot get you guys to see my tv show)

Posted Tue 06 Jan 09 @ 8:36 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
any chance of putting a snippet on youtube, you can put up to 10 mins on it, mind it will take you about three weeks to load it... it's so f n slow

Posted Wed 07 Jan 09 @ 6:31 am
Hello,
I have a question in regarding of mixed in keys and sort in browser.
Is it possible to sort in the vdj browser after the keys and second after BPM at one time?

Output like;
1A 125BPM
1A 126BPM
2A 110BPM
2A 120BPM
……..

Thx's for answer :-)
Haui

Posted Wed 07 Jan 09 @ 7:45 am
i will.. on you tube.... have a couple on myspace.com/vjwiz

of course these were just before i started using harmonic key mixing

go check it out... will give everyone an idea of what i do

Posted Wed 07 Jan 09 @ 1:21 pm
Haui70 wrote :
Hello,
I have a question in regarding of mixed in keys and sort in browser.
Is it possible to sort in the vdj browser after the keys and second after BPM at one time?

Output like;
1A 125BPM
1A 126BPM
2A 110BPM
2A 120BPM
……..

Thx's for answer :-)
Haui

You can actually right click on the top portion of the browser, where it says, song, genere, bpm's. When you right-click, you will see what you want in the browser. All the way on the bottom, you will see order. Highlite what you want then click on the up/down arrows on the right. Then you can arrange the colums in the order that suites you.

Syberman

Posted Wed 07 Jan 09 @ 4:08 pm
Hy Syberman,
thx's.
But i had explaine it too bad.
I want to sort my browser view, the songs, by first klick the Camelot keys and by the next klick additional on BPM.
This should be sorted in one view.
But i must be a little tired!
When i read your Thread and go to the browser, i klick first Camelot then BPM.

What should i say, it works.
OK, next time first thinking, then post!
Damned good work, guys!

Hmm, but nice to meet you!

Bye
Haui

Posted Wed 07 Jan 09 @ 4:22 pm
68%