Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Do you like scratchin?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

If you are a fan of scratching, hip-hop style AND you live in the Los Angeles, California area, you owe it to yourself to take a stroll down to the Sam Ash music store in the Virgin Plaza at Sunset and Crescent Heights in Hollywood.

I was in there on Sunday night and there is a guy that works in the back where they have the Pro DJ equipment. This guy was shredding it, I mean absolutely killing it on a pair of Pioneer MK2 CD players. I was watching intensley and wondering if he was gonna bust a finger on the crossfader or if the wheel on that Pioneer was gonna start smoking. Very skilled he was.

Which got me thinking to ask him some questions about these CD decks. He gave me all kinds of facts and opinions and basically he prefers the Pioneer units over the Denon. He had a pair there so he loaded up his CDs in the Denons and tried to replicate what he was doing on the Pioneer. He couldn't, and he showed me some of the sublties of the mechanics to make me understand why he couldn't replicate his performance on the Pioneers.

I was thinking just the opposite though. I always thought the Denon would more replicate the feel of vinyl since it has an active platter and a slipmat, but no dice. This guy preffered the Pioneer.

It also got my thinking that there is no way in hell I will ever be that good on a pair of XP10s. It is not possible. The latency when releasing the plate alone is enough to keep me out of that range of performance. I am however, very happy with my XP10s. Having a blast with them practicing at least 2 hours a night. If I could just get VDJ to stop crashing now. I'll be a happy camper.

Posted Tue 01 Feb 05 @ 9:32 pm
Man, wish I could have seen a video of that. One thing.. I have TCV and a pair of 1200's. I love to scratch and love hip hop. The problem I find is that you don't get so much of that scratch sound with tcv. I mean the sound when you scratch doesnt always sound like it should. Its not terrible either, but not always right. Im no pro but I can tell the difference.

killabee44

Posted Wed 02 Feb 05 @ 3:48 am
Maybe the best thing would be to keep one turntable with vinyl .....
sounds right and 0 latency.
Anewsome contact me on msn.....got something for you
Andre

Posted Wed 02 Feb 05 @ 3:56 am
Man Andre, dont have msn. I'm fishy9000 on AIM though.

I am surprised that no one picked up on the title of my post is a classic Malcom McLauren track. I know some of you cats have that original Duck Rock joint. Buffalo Gals? CLASSIC!

Posted Wed 02 Feb 05 @ 9:45 am
http://messenger.msn.com/ .....her dude now you have it and its free
Buffalo gals go round the outside,round the outside,,,,dont know what song you talking about
Fishy,,,,hun thought so lol
Andre

Posted Wed 02 Feb 05 @ 10:06 am
Having trouble finding you on MSN Andre. I'm at aaronnewsome2001 on MSN. Logged on now.

Posted Wed 02 Feb 05 @ 10:15 am
check my blogs same msn as email

Posted Wed 02 Feb 05 @ 10:16 am
Dude, I've spent like 10 minutes trying to find your MSN address, that is, *after* i gave you mine and you could have just sent me an IM. The blogs don't show correctly on my browser, must be something with Firefox on Linux and I don't own any Windows computers with internet access. In fact, my only windows system is my VDJ system. Sorry I missed you.

Posted Wed 02 Feb 05 @ 10:29 am
i tried to send you IM says no such account on msn....sorry

Posted Wed 02 Feb 05 @ 10:47 am
"It also got my thinking that there is no way in hell I will ever be that good on a pair of XP10s. It is not possible. The latency when releasing the plate alone is enough to keep me out of that range of performance. I am however, very happy with my XP10s. Having a blast with them practicing at least 2 hours a night. If I could just get VDJ to stop crashing now. "

Hey, If you want to scratch with xp 10, you have to do it with Bison. The Latency is much better. I tried some tip scratches on virtual dj. No Chance. In Bison they are so easy to do. The Digital Sound gets more lose when cutting your scratches. Try some tears, listen to the Sound. Then cut some tears. It sounds pretty good.

I hope Eks will kick the Sound in 1.0.

Posted Fri 18 Feb 05 @ 4:00 pm
I hear you about the TCV not sounding EXACTLY like real vinyl, but it is as close as possible.
a little digital sounding true, but now when i listen to mixes with scratching in them, i really cant tell too much of a difference between what there sound is, and my sound.

its pretty damn close, but not perfect. its just fine for what i need

my latency on my M-Audio delta 44 is 0ms latency in, and 1ms latency out. i dont know what the latency on virtual dj, but i think its like 5ms.

so 6 ms latency total is as close as you get with these "virtual" records.

I have also tried the pioneer cdj 1000s thinkng they would be AWESOME, but they were complete crap when in comparison to TCV. the latency was horrible, and i couldn't do anything on it. when scratching with the pioneers i heard a very distinct digital scratch sound. it was making my ears bleed..=(..i needed the vinyl.

TCV is a dream come true. I have wanted a program like this for some time now. ever since i heard final scratch was first coming out.

VDJ is a champ in comparison. it has floored me

Posted Fri 18 Feb 05 @ 10:15 pm
I actually did try the Bison program with the XP10 and I'll tell ya what. I like it. I especially like how fast I can pull up music without touching the keyboard. In fact, the keyboard doesn't work in Bison so you can always keep your hands on the XP10. I also like the fact that it is stable and doesn't crash. If Bison had two more things in it, I would not use VDJ at all. That is, BPM engine as good as VDJ and an overlapping wave display. The rest of the kick-ass features in VDJ I could live without and I could especially live without the VDJ crashes.

Posted Fri 18 Feb 05 @ 10:21 pm
djejPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I love the Malcolm McLaren (not Mclauren) reference. I have the radio clip (sample off the radio) from WHBI that he used (from his own World Famous Supreme Team Show) that he used to sample in Buffalo Gals. It's a great treat to mix in. If someone wants it I can streamload or post on my site. Don't want to go through the hassle unless someone really wants it. Hey DJ from McLaren is his best work. "It's the World Famous Supreme Team Show (song by a little kid) classic.

Posted Sat 19 Feb 05 @ 12:51 am
I too have those clips, they are on the Buffalo Gals, Back to Skool CD (which I have). It is classic,.. I think there are about a half dozen WHBI clips on there. "She's Lookin' Like A Hobo" is also a classic instrumental beat.

Posted Sat 19 Feb 05 @ 1:19 am
djejPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Anewsome, isn't that a great CD. I highly recommend it. So did he discover Afrika Bambatta or what? Great listen...all the way through. I love the "Girl with Amnesia" :0

Posted Sat 19 Feb 05 @ 3:22 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)