Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Traktor vs VirtualDJ

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

At the club tonight we used both VirtualDJ and traktorDJ side by side. The following are obervations noted by a DJ friend of mine who is a traktorDJ user. I brought my VirtualDJ rig to the club for him to try

---
VirtualDJ font is too small on the record case and skins

VirtualDJ record case does not support ID3 tags. This is a big deal since he has all of his collection organized with genre, album, year, etc.

VirtualDJ Supports more controller options than traktor

Traktor Can not use effects like VirtualDJ

Traktor has NO Skins at all, VirtualDJ has many skins

Traktor scratching is limited and does not sound as realistic as VirtualDJ

Traktor is 100% stable, VirtualDJ crashed on us once

Traktor has better master tempo quality than VirtualDJ and has three levels (low, medium, high)

Traktor supports explorer based record case as well as ability to LOAD and save playlists

Traktor has a record case player to preview the track before loading to a deck
---

I still like VirtualDJ better than traktor but both of them have their positive and negative points.

WirelessDJ

Posted Sun 30 Jan 05 @ 6:36 am
Yeah well... Virtual DJ is still the best.

Posted Sun 30 Jan 05 @ 6:46 am
"ability to LOAD and save playlists"

VDJ has that ability. The size of the text doesn't help but it does have that ability nevertheless.

The things you mentioned VDJ not having are all true shortcomings. They can be fixed and Im sure the DEV team is hard at work as we speak.

Killabee44

Posted Sun 30 Jan 05 @ 6:48 am
al0000PRO InfinityMember since 2004
Among all that...there's only one that bothered me alot:

"Traktor is 100% stable, VirtualDJ crashed on us once"

%$#+%_$+%!!!!

:)

VERY bad for a DJ soft.

Posted Sun 30 Jan 05 @ 1:41 pm
Traktor has been around for a long time so I guess they perfected it. however, on that same note: since they have been around so long why hasn't traktor been improved and updated with new features like VDj has? same thing for bpm studio. both of the products are stable but lacking features that vdj has. Maybe adding features contributes to the instabiity?

Posted Sun 30 Jan 05 @ 3:11 pm
I would like to respond to all of the points stated by Wireless as follows.

VirtualDJ font is too small on the record case and skins
VirtualDJ fonts are completely customizable and easy to modify. From what I know, Traktor has no provision for the user to easily modify fonts. The wide array of available VDJ Skins leaves Traktor way behind in this category. Heck, as you know VDJ even has a Traktor skin if you just can't get away from that Traktor look.

VirtualDJ record case does not support ID3 tags. This is a big deal since he has all of his collection organized with genre, album, year, etc.
The way a user organizes his collection is his personal preference. Although ID3 tags may be more convenient for some, those that use folders, file naming and playlist techniques to organize their library are just as effective.

VirtualDJ Supports more controller options than Traktor
This says a lot more for vDJ development than it does for tracktor's developers, doesn't it ?

Traktor Can not use effects like VirtualDJ
Again, an indication of how much Traktor developers listen to their users. I was a Traktor user at one time and this was a huge frustration point for me. Development completely ignore's user input.

Traktor has NO Skins at all, VirtualDJ has many skins
[:o)

Traktor scratching is limited and does not sound as realistic as VirtualDJ
I don't have much of an opinion here. I haven't scratched since I put down my 1200s.

Traktor is 100% stable, VirtualDJ crashed on us once
Shame on you Wireless. If you are going to bring your rig to a club to compare against the competitor, you should ensure that your system is a proven stable install of vDJ. There are many of us using vDJ for almost 2 years without crashing.....

Traktor has better master tempo quality than VirtualDJ and has three levels (low, medium, high)
ok

Traktor supports explorer based record case as well as ability to LOAD and save playlists
I don't know... what would you call vDJ's Explorer window ? Last time I checked I was able to load and save playlists in vDJ just fine. Maybe I misunderstand the point.

Traktor has a record case player to preview the track before loading to a deck
You should get to know vDJ a little better.... this functionality has been there for a long time (right click) ... also try using vDJ Playlist as a record case. ---

I still like VirtualDJ better than traktor but both of them have their positive and negative points.
[:o)

Posted Sun 30 Jan 05 @ 5:09 pm
al0000PRO InfinityMember since 2004
NI is into alot of audio stuff, mostly DAW oriented.

It has some increadible programmers, and the power to develope cutting-edge stuff. BUT, they're not a DJ-dedicated company, and that's what makes the big difference.

Plus, VDJ's developers seems to be kick ass too.

How come we never get to chat with 'em? :)

Alex

Posted Sun 30 Jan 05 @ 9:13 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)