Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Mixing Different tempos

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hey, I'm new to the DJ world...

I'm trying to grasp the whole concept of mixing two songs with different tempo. I can successfully do this with techno but I'm trying to move on to HipHop songs which are much harder to do since they come in so many various beats and tempos.

Are there any tips you can give me? Or tutorial videos out there that can help me mix these songs.

and example of this is...trying to mix:

MIA - Paper Planes and Neyo - Closer

What is a good way for learning how to do this?

Thanks for reading I hope you have something to share with me!

Posted Mon 06 Oct 08 @ 1:09 am
for something that drastic you may want to not do it at all :)

but with hip hop you can get away with a few mixing tricks.... one is kill the song and then slam the new one back in. Scratching works. or finding a cool part of each song that will work together. How ever if in a club p-laying paper planes and closer back to back may cause the dance floor to stare at you then take a bathroom break to the bar next door

When i first got virtual dj i ran across this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_D_deDyyCo

Posted Mon 06 Oct 08 @ 7:18 am

Posted Wed 08 Oct 08 @ 12:56 pm
well I know I'm supposed to be playing songs that won't really disturb the people for the first 30 mins ish of the time, then move to songs people really like.

what happens when someone really wants me to play a song, but it doesn't really go with the 3 other songs that I have cued up?

Posted Fri 10 Oct 08 @ 3:04 pm
:))

I like how you did that....sounds good.

Posted Fri 10 Oct 08 @ 3:10 pm
vidaricca wrote :
well I know I'm supposed to be playing songs that won't really disturb the people for the first 30 mins ish of the time, then move to songs people really like.

what happens when someone really wants me to play a song, but it doesn't really go with the 3 other songs that I have cued up?

I dont do request for that very reason. HA HA. but I do play popular songs so they do hear something they like. Also dont be afraid to just fade to silence and bring in a completly different song. I have some samples I use for that reason. Ludacris saying ' where the f--k is the waitress at with my drink' works well ( btw i snagged that from a mix master mic show) but now my crowd knows i am about to change up when they hear that.

Posted Fri 10 Oct 08 @ 8:20 pm
Thanks you really helped me a lot.

Posted Mon 13 Oct 08 @ 1:02 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)