Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: 96Khz support

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi all,

had been thinking to add 96khz support over the VDJ?

i maen, i was trying the VDJ with one Audio 8 DJ, it works fine but when you select the keylock function sounds crappy.
but using traktor at 96khz the keylock function works perfect, should be one nice enhancement for the future versions of VDJ

regards

Posted Wed 03 Sep 08 @ 3:38 am
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
You have music encoded with PCM 96kHz?

Just asking, because using 96kHz mode of playback (adding zeroes to original resolution of data stream)
does not improve master tempo quality, which anyway oversamples for precision of calculation.

I seriously doubt anyone Djs with true 96kHz audio files, it's probably almost impossible to get such
high quality digital recordings for any commercial, let alone other specific genres of music anyway.
It would be cool, I agree, but it's an overkill for a DJ product.

Debating the quality of master tempo algorithms is of course another matter... Some might ask
if you were using the advanced or simple algorithm in VDj settings, where simple definately sounds
crappy, while advance is open to debate, depending on settings you use. Some people here feel
that even advanced algorithm is inferior to hardware solutions (or other algoritms available on
market), on which I have no say as I haven't tested nor read about any such comparisons.

Posted Wed 03 Sep 08 @ 1:47 pm
As you said,
when change the rate, oversample the song for better calculation.
in another softwares at 44khz also sound crappy but when you change at 96khz the keylock function sounds perfect.
for that i think the oversample doesn't enhanced the sound but YES affect at the keylock function.

regards

Posted Thu 04 Sep 08 @ 3:04 am
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
brainstorm2001 wrote :
As you said,
when change the rate, oversample the song for better calculation.

Nope, I didn't say that.

The algorithm oversamples internally for calculation in any mode. Choosing
96kHz mode would probably just reduce the oversample factor, having the
same percision in calculation, but in this case having more accurate original
data IF the file was true 96kHz, not 44.1 converted to 96.

Anyway if you feel it improves the quality, good for you. I have my doubt,
just trying to point out that hoping for 96kHz support is, well, optimistic.

Posted Thu 04 Sep 08 @ 3:22 pm
i've been using my audio 8 dj for a while now
@ 44.1
playing videos only
never had a problem
with/without keylock
with/without timecodes

Posted Fri 05 Sep 08 @ 12:55 am
youre a lucky guy. ;-)

cheers

Posted Wed 10 Sep 08 @ 7:18 am
TexZKPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Oversampling ay 96kHz is a good idea IMHO.

Setting the soundcard at 48kHz is a bad choice instead: the VirtualDJ engine will ALWAYS resample it at 44.1kHz, and this introduces quantization errors, ANY TIME, due to the interpolation filter (low-pass).

So, I think 96kHz is a good choice to compute new samples, even if the card is set to 44.1kHz.

I know almost all of your music is coded at 44.1kHz, but internal computations at 96kHz will introduce less artifects.

but, first, there are other issues inside the engine I'm not so full of. For example, the EQ and volume control. Looking forward for 5.3...

Posted Wed 10 Sep 08 @ 7:35 am
i'm agree with you.

cheers

Posted Thu 11 Sep 08 @ 2:13 am
TexZK wrote :
Oversampling ay 96kHz is a good idea IMHO.

Setting the soundcard at 48kHz is a bad choice instead: the VirtualDJ engine will ALWAYS resample it at 44.1kHz, and this introduces quantization errors, ANY TIME, due to the interpolation filter (low-pass).

So, I think 96kHz is a good choice to compute new samples, even if the card is set to 44.1kHz.

I know almost all of your music is coded at 44.1kHz, but internal computations at 96kHz will introduce less artifects.

but, first, there are other issues inside the engine I'm not so full of. For example, the EQ and volume control. Looking forward for 5.3...

ya im with you on this i would love to use the real power of my $700 rme sound card

Posted Sat 04 Oct 08 @ 3:33 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)