Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: One Hardrive or two?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

In the recording world, we use at least two hard drives. Usually three. One for your OS and recording software. A second for your project folders, samples, specific track audio files. And a third for plug-ins: eq's, fx, etc.

What's the common setup for VDJ? One hardrive or two?

Posted Thu 28 Aug 08 @ 10:45 pm
I use 2 drives, 1 SATA 300 gig for OS and programs and some mp3s, then I use a 1tb drive for the main music and videos.

Posted Fri 29 Aug 08 @ 12:36 am
internal laptop drive for OS and VDJ, 320 GB for mp3 music, 320 GB for mp3 backup, 1 TB for music videos, and 1 TB for video backup.

Posted Fri 29 Aug 08 @ 4:25 am
What brand, model of 1TB hard-drives do you guys recommend? Should I even bother loading songs into my laptop's hard-drive, only VDJ software? Just specifically use an external hard-drive to store audio tracks?

Posted Fri 29 Aug 08 @ 9:12 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
I own three Maxtor external Hard drives..they rock!....One is 500 and the other two are 300 gigs....

Posted Fri 29 Aug 08 @ 9:15 pm
^Thanks.

Posted Fri 29 Aug 08 @ 9:17 pm
marcellodjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2006
My new rack pc will have 2x internal sata disks on 1 TB each, that I will set in RAID 0.. This will give better performance as I have read in some articles on the web. Then I'll have 2 TB on my C:/ disk and I can store all my media in My Documents..

I will have a eSata port in the front as well. Then i can plug in external disks and read/write from/to the external disk at a 3gb/s speed instead of the 480 mb/s that USB 2.0 offers.

The alternative would be to set up an extra disk on 60 gb or something that my OS and programs would be on, and make an disk D: with all the media.

Posted Sat 30 Aug 08 @ 6:04 am
I would stay away from RAID as some users have found out the hard way, if 1 drive fails you are then screwed with all your data lost.

Posted Sat 30 Aug 08 @ 2:39 pm
I investigated this... Unless you have a really really high end RAID card ( not on your mobo ), Raid 0 isnt going to give you more performance... perhaps 10% loading time. Dont worry about fancy RAID either... If you do something like RAID 5 and a drive fails... you still have to replace the drive, performance will be horrid until you do, and then the computer has to rebuild parity on the new drive... which could take hours.

If your planning for video, 1TB drives a must. And dont skimp thinking you can get a 500 now... Less drives you have the better your going to be. Im already out of space on my systems.

Main rig 2 x 1TB , 1x 160

backup 2x 750GB, 1x 500GB, 1x 80GB

Posted Sat 30 Aug 08 @ 5:51 pm

Posted Sun 31 Aug 08 @ 12:48 am
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Chris, that H/Drive should be fine, I have a Maxtor (part of Western Digital) one , had it now for well over a year with no problems.

Posted Sun 31 Aug 08 @ 3:01 am
jimmy b wrote :
Chris, that H/Drive should be fine, I have a Maxtor (part of Western Digital) one , had it now for well over a year with no problems.

Thanks again, Jim.

Posted Sun 31 Aug 08 @ 4:18 am
djchris73 wrote :
Will this work for me? As an external Hard Drive:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Maxtor-OneTouch-4-500GB-USB-2-0-External-Hard-Drive_W0QQitemZ180282945132QQihZ008QQcategoryZ3757QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is my laptop's specs:

* 3GB RAM, DDR2, 667MHz 2 Dimm
* Intel Core 2 Duo T8100, 2.1GHz, 800Mhz, 3M L2 Cache
* ATI MOBILITY RADEON HD 3450
* 320G 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
* Microsoft Windows Vista SP1 Home Premium Edition

Any input will be greatly appreciated.....

I've been using that exact same drive for several months now. It contains my mp3 database with over 15,000 tunes and my video database with over 1500 music videos so far. Works great, gets a bit warm but nothing to worry about.

What sold me on the drive was the 5 year warranty. :-)

Your laptop looks similar to mine which is the new Dell Studio 15.

Posted Sun 31 Aug 08 @ 9:01 pm
DJSoulman,
Thanks for the info on the hard drive. Yeah, my laptop is also a Studio 15. Studio 1535, to be exact. There is no difference, I think.

Posted Mon 01 Sep 08 @ 5:14 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)