Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Record using an extenal mixer and still cue in headphones?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

OK I am trying to set up my system so I can record using the software. I tried this last night and this is what I got.

1st attempt I left the config as I have always had it, which is:
NOT linking the audio and video crossfaders
Audio crossfader in the middle
Video crossfader is configured to use my midi control (video_crossfade) this way when I fade left to right on my mixer for audio.. the video fades as well! The set-up this way allows me to fade all the way left but still cue the right through the headphones plugged into my mixer. (this works perfect for DJing.. just not recording) What I noticed in the recording was I could hear everything on the left even though I was faded to the right (such as cueing.. setting a loop.. aligning beats.. etc)

2nd attempt I changed the config in the midi controller to crossfade as opposed to just video crossfade. Also I LINKED the two faders together. What I noticed in this recording was that YES it would record great! I couldn't hear anything on the left if I was faded right. However I was unable to hear anything in the headphones on the right if I was faded left either! :-(

Any solutions????

My configuration was this...
Inputs: None
Outputs: External Mixer
Soundcard: Numark

Posted Thu 28 Aug 08 @ 4:01 pm
I tried to use "output: Headphones" last night and it "kinda" worked

The pull down for outputs said that the master would be on either channels 1&2 and headphones on channels 3&4 or visa versa.
However the master ended up on 3&4 regardless which option I chose but Left and Right players would switch from 3 to 4. Headphones then would be on either 3 OR 4. Very confusing to attempt to DJ like that. Also being set-up that way I always had to hear BOTH players in the headphones even though only ONE player was coming from the master.

Maybe I should note that I have a DJM-800 4 channel mixer with CDJs running on channels 1&2 and Virtual Vinyl on 3&4. If I cue through the mixer I can fade all the way left and still here either the left player OR the right player OR both in my headphones.... as long as the software audio fader is left IN the middle.

Obviously with the software audio fader left in the middle the software's record feature is going to record EVERYTHING uggggghhhh

PLEASE help!

Posted Fri 29 Aug 08 @ 11:55 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)