Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Dell laptop Sigmatel C major audio soundcard problem

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

kotdbPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Hi,

My laptop inbuilt soundcard seems to have stopped working for some reason.

Its a Sigmatel C-Major audio. My control panel says that it is functioning but it isn't.

I have tried updating the driver from the control panel but it just asks for a disc which I don't have.

I also tried downloading an updated driver from the internet and found one but it doesn't seem to load so I'm not sure it's that.

Anybody had problems with this or have an idea what I can do?

Posted Fri 22 Aug 08 @ 4:30 am
Some laptops come with "recovery" cd, DVD or hidden partition that enables them to go to the state when it was purchased including all drivers.
Meaning loosing every info, files, etc. However consider this as last solution.

Otherwise, it's good to know what version of windows (and service pack) you have.
If you have enabled autoupdate.

If you are sure you did not update the driver, and also you did not install any windows update (or it was not autoinstalled), and soundcard stopped working it could be hardware problem. I saw 2 notebooks in my life with "burned" soundcard. All appeared okay except no sound output. Sometimes it's the soundcard amplifier that is separate chip, sometimes it is the part "inside" the soundcard chip.

You can try installing the fresh windows from scratch also, but I'd prefer using the warranty service to make the diagnostics. They'll probably replace your notebooks motherboard.

Posted Sun 24 Aug 08 @ 1:54 pm
Try using system restore to the day the soudcard was working good that always works for me.

Posted Sun 24 Aug 08 @ 2:19 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)