Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: MK2 AND PC SOUNDCARD?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

HKNYCPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I like to travel around alot, so I will take my MK2 and laptop on the road with me. The problem is, it seems that when I use the laptop soundcard as master output and MK2 as headphone, the headphones start buzzing and cracking at times. But not always, it comes and goes what is that all about? In my configuration, I have it set up in this form.

none

headphones

2 soundcards

This way I can hear msic from my laptop and still be able to cue up music on my headphones through the MK2. Am I doing something wrong? Have I set it up wrong cause it makes it hard sometimes for me to get an accurate sound to mix perfect?

My pc setup is Vista 2 gigs of ram, 120 gigs of hard drive, AMD duo core, VDJ 5.2, also I have tried to configure the performance to many different posibilities. And it got a little bettter but it still buzzes pretty bad.

Can someone please help me out with this, it's annoying thanks :)

Posted Tue 19 Aug 08 @ 8:11 pm
Some input on this topic would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance. By the way I also have the latest MK2 firmware and 2008 drivers, also the latest directx if there is anything else you may need to know just ask. I would really like to atleast get some knowledge as to what this could be :)

Posted Fri 22 Aug 08 @ 3:55 pm
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Just curious, why don't u just use ur Herc mk2 as the only soundcard as there no need to use two.

Abt that cracking issue on ur headphone input, im not sure as i using external mixer to prelisten n cueing. I did not even try to use the mk2 headphone input as last yr i did have problem to it once updated to the 2007 driver. With 2006 it is fine. Anyway i will check this for u as i'm too using the latest driver tomorrow before my gigs;)

Posted Fri 22 Aug 08 @ 5:07 pm
Actually , I normally use my regular setup with timecoded cd's. And I use 2 denon 3500's , hc4500, and a dnx500 this is my regular setup.

Like I said it's only when I travel , I will bring only my laptop and Hercules MK2. I use the laptop as my primary soundcard, the MK2 as secondary soundcard. Because , it's the only way apparently that I can separate headphone cue up and main sound out. Unless you know something I don't? I just basically want to hear deck 1 on the laptop speaker and deck 2 on my headphones. If I use the MK2 as my as my single primary sound card then both decks are heard through the laptop speakers at the same time.

Posted Fri 22 Aug 08 @ 11:45 pm
Under sound setup use these settings:
Input:None
Output:Headphones
Scard: MK2

Posted Sat 23 Aug 08 @ 12:07 pm
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Yes use the setting given by discobrian.. n i would say just use ur mk2;)

Also at ur mk2, at the front knob beside the headphone input, be sure not to always to select mix as such u can hear both deck. select deck b for cueing etc if deck a is playing to the speaker or use split options.

Posted Sat 23 Aug 08 @ 2:41 pm
Sorry guys your setting did'nt work! But, it's all good :) It works ok the way I had it, with 2 scards the only problem I was really having that it just buzzes/crumbles, in my headphones.

I was reading some of the other posts and other people are complaining about similar problems. It's like a rumbling noise that comes into my headphones and will sometimes bleed into my mix. I wonder if it's due to a hercules defect in their updates and firmware.

We all know that their hardware is not A+ quality! But, I do enjoy taking there unit around because it does everything, all in one! Not to mention light weight and portable.

I'll continue to keep making perfomance tweaks till I get it right! Im sure eventually I will either get an update that will fix it, or it will just work itself out. Like I said it comes and goes it's not everytime. And another thing, it seems to act up also when I use the jog wheels as pitch controllers and not decks! Because, im a House Dj and have no need for scratching. So anyway when I use that feature it seems to make that rumbling noise come. But normally it just stays only inn my headphones, odd! If I figure something out I willl keep you updated. Or maybe someone has experienced a similar problem let me know?

Posted Sun 24 Aug 08 @ 10:17 am
HKNYC wrote :
Actually , I normally use my regular setup with timecoded cd's. And I use 2 denon 3500's , hc4500, and a dnx500 this is my regular setup.

TCCDs with your Denon 3500s and an HC4500? Doesn't that get a little confusing? Seems like overkill for control, no?

This reminds me, I'm gonna get on my soapbox now:

I know this is a little off topic, but......

Why would someone use TCCDs (and CD Players, obviously) and connect them to a native or dedicated controller?
Why not simply use the controller to control VDJ? Seems to me you must have better control with the controller than the TCCDs or TCVs. Or use a dedicated stand alone, breakout box sound card with the TCCDs or TCVs?

With all of the issues of getting stuff to work well together with VDJ, why compound the issue by Frankensteining it?

I mean, I read about one cat who uses a Hercules RMX and TCCV! And then complains cause it don't work right. WTF?!
Are you kidding me?
Am I the only one who sees this as just making things harder for yourself?

Whew...

Sorry about that.

Off the soapbox now.

Posted Wed 27 Aug 08 @ 9:13 pm
Here's the deal. I use 3500's with tccd's and a maya 44usb scard, all works great no problem. I use the hc4500 stricktly as a VDJ controller nothing more. I like it as a controller only, and it works along with my dnx500 mixer flawless. As far as all that goes I never have a problem everything works good. I just personally dont like to use my laptop to control VDJ it gets way too tedious for me, that's how I personally feel comfortable. Originally I would use the MK2 as my controller, but that's way too tedious also, and toy like didnt like it as true dj hardware. But for travel on the road in a car on a plane or wherever I can bust it out and use it as a secondary ,back up option.

So to answer your question frankensteining the system or whatever, I think in my case everything works fine becuase it's all made to work together, flawlessly. So, my problem im having in this moment has nothing at all to do with my setup. Im only having an issue with the MK2, in conjunction with my laptop, so can you tell me anything about that?

Posted Wed 27 Aug 08 @ 11:56 pm
HKNYC wrote :
Here's the deal. I use 3500's with tccd's and a maya 44usb scard, all works great no problem. I use the hc4500 stricktly as a VDJ controller nothing more. I like it as a controller only, and it works along with my dnx500 mixer flawless. As far as all that goes I never have a problem everything works good. I just personally dont like to use my laptop to control VDJ it gets way too tedious for me, that's how I personally feel comfortable. Originally I would use the MK2 as my controller, but that's way too tedious also, and toy like didnt like it as true dj hardware.

Wow.... OK...I'm still lost, but OK. If it works for you, run with it.

HKNYC wrote :
But for travel on the road in a car on a plane or wherever I can bust it out and use it as a secondary, back up option.

So to answer your question frankensteining the system or whatever, I think in my case everything works fine becuase it's all made to work together, flawlessly.

Cool.

HKNYC wrote :
So, my problem im having in this moment has nothing at all to do with my setup. Im only having an issue with the MK2, in conjunction with my laptop, so can you tell me anything about that?

Sorry, no, I can't.

I'm sorry if you feel I was attacking you personally. I wasn't. Your situation reminded me of a similiar scenario. I wasn't trying to poke fun at anyone, really. I was trying to make a point. The point being that I think that some of these convoluted setups seem to incur their own problems. Apparently this not your issue. In fact, your issue seems to stem from a lack of controller overload (for lack of a better description)....

Posted Thu 28 Aug 08 @ 12:14 am
It's all good bro ! Sorry you felt I was coming back at you. I understood what you were getting at. I was just trying to make you understand exactly what my issue was. And actually, I fully agree with what you were trying to point out. I can definitly see why so many people have problems with their setups, no doubt .

Posted Thu 28 Aug 08 @ 12:25 am
HKNYC wrote :
It's all good bro ! Sorry you felt I was coming back at you. I understood what you were getting at. I was just trying to make you understand exactly what my issue was. And actually, I fully agree with what you were trying to point out. I can definitly see why so many people have problems with their setups, no doubt .

^Right on! You see it, too!

I mean, you gotta stroke Vista as it is to play nice with VDJ. First, you got to make sure your new hardware is compatible with your existing OS and software. Second, you got to have the latest drivers and software. Third, you got load, install it in the right sequence!

It's crazy, man.

Posted Thu 28 Aug 08 @ 5:54 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)