Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Down grading from Vista to XP

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hello everyone, I just wanted to share my experience incase anyone else is thinking about doing this. This may be a little long but i want to be as detailed as possible.

My set up: HP Pavillion laptop 9000 series / Denon HC-4500 controller / Denon X500 mixer.

I had an HP laptop for about 2 years now and I felt it was time to upgrade. Mind you this lap top was running Vista. I only use my laptops strictly for Djing nothing else so I never really had any issues with the laptop or Vista. Never once has VDJ crashed. I don\'t currently do any video mixing but was hoping to start messing around with the new laptop.

A friend of mine builds and repairs computers for a living and he mentioned to me that Vista take a lot of a computers resources to operate and has a lot of compatability issues. I am not the type of person to believe everything i hear so i did some research on the internet ( go to google and search Vista vs XP) and found a lot of supporting material.

So i bought a new faster HP and i had an old XP (full install) disc from on of my old computers. I have learned the hard way that most new computers do not have restore discs any more. Now they partition the hard drive and put all the restore info on there. One for the 1st things you should do when you buy a new computer is to create restore discs or back up discs.

Not paying attention or reading everything like I should have, I wiped out the hard drive and installed windows XP. Xp worked just fine and everything seemed to be running smooth. Getting all the driver for my hardware was next. I did what I though should be simple and went to HPs website. went to the support page and put in my model number and windows version. It then listed all the necessary drivers to down load. i downloaded all of them and tried to install them next. Everyone of them had compatibility issues. So next I went to the maker of each divice and looked for the driver for my windows version and still had compatibility issues.

Next i went to HP and asked for their help. Accorrding to them, they do not condone the down grading and there for can not assist. i searched the web for about a month reading everything I could until I finally came across a guy who had the same laptop and did the same thing. He listed a very detailed process and provided all the links to get the drivers.

We had to install drivers from the HP Pavillion 6000 series in order to get everything to work. After that I did all the updates, installed all my software and transfered all my music. As of right now everything is working perfectly and I will be tring to do video mixing in the future.

Please do as much reasearch you can before you attempt this and make sure you have back up discs incase it doesn't work.

Posted Wed 06 Aug 08 @ 1:50 pm
Thank you for posting that. I'm trying to decide what laptop buy right now that will be compatible with VDJ Pro.

I was thinking of doing the same thing: buying a Vista PC and downgrading to a XP. I guess it's harder than the IT guys here at work say it is. They say it's easy :s

Anyway, from what I read here, it is harder to tweak Vista than it is XP; I've read some people are running Vista with VDJ, no problem;
I've read that XP doesn't handle VDJ video well; I've read that Vista isn't cooperating with Hercules RMX; etc, etc.

It's really hard to figure out what would be the right choice. Especially when you are an unregistered user....

What exact model of HP Pavillion 9000 series are you running? What are your specs, if you don't mind me asking?

Posted Sat 16 Aug 08 @ 10:42 pm
I meant "NO LICENSE USER".......

Posted Sat 16 Aug 08 @ 10:44 pm
XP Rocks Big Time.....

Posted Sat 16 Aug 08 @ 10:46 pm
i have the HP Pavillion 9815

AMD X2 TL-60 processsor
3 gigs of DDR2 Ram
250 gig hard drive
1024mb video memory

Since down grading to XP and finding all the drivers, I have not had a problem. I am happy so far.

Posted Mon 18 Aug 08 @ 1:33 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)