Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: auto gain question...

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

clintdPRO InfinityMember since 2008
I\'m currently using VDJ Pro 5.0.7 Trial. I notice when I leave auto gain disabled that some newly added tracks will load with different gain values. I\'m assuming this is the gain value that the gain algorithm has determined the volume of the track was mastered at. When I turn auto gain to \"auto+remember\" everything loads with a gain value of 0. So I loaded a couple of new imported tracks first with the auto gain disabled and then with the auto gain set to auto+remember. I assumed that if I was to compare any one of these tracks xml entries before and after that I would notice a different value for the volume tag but to my surprise this wasn\'t the case. So, my question is, where are the auto gain settings stored?

Posted Fri 25 Jul 08 @ 3:19 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
They are stored in the XML -- if you didn't change the gain when you had the Auto+Remember on you would not see a difference in the XML.

-- Hypothetical values --
Auto Disabled -- value is 1635849
Auto+Remember -- value is 1635849 -- if no change was made
Auto+Remember -- value is 1634287 -- if change was made

So using the values above --

Auto Disabled -- when loaded VirtualDJ will not bring the value to VirtualDJ's ZeroDB (0.0) level, it uses what ever level the track had.
Auto+Remember No Change -- when loaded VirtualDJ compares the value to it's ZeroDB setting and brings the volume up or down to ZeroDB (This is the Auto part)
Auto+Remember Changed value -- when the gain was changed (Remember part) in VirtualDJ, the gain difference from the VirtualDJ ZeroDB setting is added or subtracted from the tracks analyzed gain. This would be the new value used for the next loading and will follow the process as described if their was No Change - (the Auto part).

Hope that made sense.

Posted Fri 25 Jul 08 @ 10:44 am
Yes that is very clear. I was actually thinking to myself on the way to work this morning that I probably should have made a manual adjustment while the auto-remember was turned on. DUH!! :) Thank you for the response. I've been been very please with Virtual DJ thus far and will be purchasing the full version next week.

One other question. Is there anyway to adjust the gain threshold? The reason I'm asking is b/c when I turn my gain knobs on the dj console rmx they are a little too sensitive. They kind of jump around as you turn back and forth trying to dial in a certain value.

Posted Fri 25 Jul 08 @ 11:51 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004

Posted Fri 25 Jul 08 @ 1:19 pm
Yeah I know about that issue. It would be cool if it loaded the gain similar to the way it does the pitch control. The jumping I'm referring to dosent matter what the auto gain value is set at. It's similar to if you have your pitch percentage set to high. When you have it set to high it's hard to manually set set the bpm to a particular value. It seems like the same problem with the gain. I haven't turned the gains all the way up or down to see what it's +/- threshold is but let's say it is +/- 10 db then I'm assuming that if we could set it to +/- 5 we could fine tune the gain better. Does that make sense?

Posted Fri 25 Jul 08 @ 6:47 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)