Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: External Drive - SATA or USB 2?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Which should I get? I'm trying to make a decision quick - I use only video and I could really use the drive sooner rather than later. I've also been told that you should put ALL your videos on one drive so the software/files aren't being accessed on the same drive at the same time. Is this true?

Posted Thu 24 Jul 08 @ 12:39 am
clintdPRO InfinityMember since 2008
If you won't compatibility go with USB. Not all PC's have an eSATA connection. If you don't care about compatibility and want the best performance go with eSATA. Either should work just fine though. You may not notice a performance difference if you're only playing videos off your external drive. Playing videos only probably would not cap out either one's data transfer bandwidth.

Yes, you should get a performance gain by storing all your videos on a separate drive. The important thing to remember is that you really want them on a separate drive from your OS (Operating System ie- Windows XP) rather than the drive Virtual DJ is installed on. (Virtual DJ will always be installed on the drive your OS is on unless you specifically specify otherwise during install.) By separating these, VDJ will not be sharing read/write requests with your OS. Unless for some reason your page file (virtual memory) is stored on your external drive. :)

Posted Fri 25 Jul 08 @ 12:37 pm
Firewire 800?

Posted Fri 25 Jul 08 @ 11:56 pm
My laptop doesn't have a FW connection. Moreover, eSATA (which my laptop does have) is about 3.5 times faster.

Posted Sat 26 Jul 08 @ 4:27 pm
clintd wrote :
If you won't compatibility go with USB. Not all PC's have an eSATA connection.

Compatibility is not really an issue with eSATA, as you can buy a $15 cable that converts an eSATA drive to USB..
So if you laptop has eSATA I would get the fastest possible connection.. (and it won't use up your USB bandwidth so you can use it for other things with no worries).

Posted Tue 29 Jul 08 @ 2:09 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)