Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: MAC Book for video ?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Just Wondering if anyone is using the regular mac book for videos ?

If so how is it working. I am thinking of getting the latest mac book with 4 gigs of ram and am wondering if it'll do video alight with the on board graphics card ?

I am a PC user considering the jump to MAC so please forgive me if this sounds like a dumb question.

Thanks in advance, Alex.

Posted Wed 16 Jul 08 @ 10:40 pm
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
If u serious to do video mixing, it best to go for macbook pro as it has its own dedicated card not shared as in the macbook.

To do basic video mixing on macbook, is fine however.

Regards.

Posted Thu 17 Jul 08 @ 7:00 am
HiTowerPRO InfinityMember since 2007
I second what SpinnaJ said. It will work with a MacBook, but MacBook Pro is the way to go for serious video mixing. Personally, I use the MacBook Pro for video and haven't had a problem with it.

Posted Thu 17 Jul 08 @ 11:54 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
if you are wanting a mac book then wait for the next generation ;)

Posted Thu 17 Jul 08 @ 1:33 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Yes wait apple is coming up to a refresh of all of their product lines.

Posted Thu 17 Jul 08 @ 2:55 pm
let it snow leopard

Posted Thu 17 Jul 08 @ 3:01 pm
Thanks for all the responses. When is the new line to drop ?

Posted Thu 17 Jul 08 @ 5:26 pm
Another question, Is the ATI card better than a NVidia in a MAC the same way it is in a PC ?

MacBook Pro 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
15.4-inch glossy widescreen display
2GB memory
120GB hard drive
6x SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB of GDDR3 memory
Built-in iSight camera

Will this do ? Or should i go with the NVidia 8600 with 512 MB of memory ?

Posted Thu 17 Jul 08 @ 6:35 pm
djphenominal wrote :
Thanks for all the responses. When is the new line to drop ?

I speak to apple on a weekly basis for Numark and until the last minute they will be very vague unfortunately.

Snow leopard is aimed for early next year.

Posted Fri 18 Jul 08 @ 2:20 pm
djphenominal wrote :
Another question, Is the ATI card better than a NVidia in a MAC the same way it is in a PC ?

MacBook Pro 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
15.4-inch glossy widescreen display
2GB memory
120GB hard drive
6x SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB of GDDR3 memory
Built-in iSight camera

Will this do ? Or should i go with the NVidia 8600 with 512 MB of memory ?

As a mac will last a long time i would advise you to spec up.

You can upgrade a MBP later but it makes sense to get the best one you can first time around.

Posted Fri 18 Jul 08 @ 2:29 pm
k_onePRO InfinityMember since 2006
djphenominal wrote :
Just Wondering if anyone is using the regular mac book for videos ?

If so how is it working. I am thinking of getting the latest mac book with 4 gigs of ram and am wondering if it'll do video alight with the on board graphics card ?

I am a PC user considering the jump to MAC so please forgive me if this sounds like a dumb question.

Thanks in advance, Alex.

Even though everybody suggests you wait for the next generation MB (and I agree if you're not in a hurry to get it) I must say that I've been using a MacBook 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM with shared video
memory for video dj'ing since april last year and I couldn't be more satisfied.
I haven't had one crash yet (*knock on wood*) and everything is performing beautifully! (especially with the latest version)
So I can flat our recommend a MB for videomixing. (Keep in mind though that I use full ripped VOB files only, and I have little or no experience with other video formats on the MB)

Posted Mon 21 Jul 08 @ 5:47 pm
Thanks for the help guys. I am in sort of a rush so i am going for the mac now but i decided to go for the MBP 2.6 ghz. core 2 duo with the nvidia 512 card .
My next question is for sound cards. I currently have a Gigaport, a maya 44 and Serato SL1
I know the SL1 is out for VDJ, but will the other two work on a MAC ? If not what cards are we suggesting ? Good soulnd quality is my main concern. I am not looking for the most inexpensive card out there but i am not working with a huge budget either.

Thanks in advance, Alex,

Posted Tue 22 Jul 08 @ 6:56 pm
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hi, What do you want to achieve? Using timescodes too?

Posted Wed 23 Jul 08 @ 8:41 am
Time codes are not my main concern. I forgot to mention i have also ordered a denon HC-4500 controller with a built in sound card. I guess i should have asked before hand but will the 4500 sound card work on a mac ?

Posted Wed 23 Jul 08 @ 3:42 pm
Yes the 4500 sound card works with mac, I use my every weekend for the past 6 months.

Posted Wed 23 Jul 08 @ 6:41 pm
Beautiful thing.
Thank you all for your help. Being that I'm new to macs I"ll probably have a million questions once my MBP arrives. I Can't wait to get it up and running and do a side by side comparison with my ASUS G2S

Again, Thank you all for your help.

Posted Wed 23 Jul 08 @ 7:35 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)