Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: VDJ at the club == Disaster! What went wrong?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

DJEMFPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Okies. I have been practicing with VDJ at home for about a month in prep and I though I had brought it through the ringer but I WAS WRONG. Here is my setup and what happened and if anyone has some insight or idea I would like to know. I have another set Saturday but I'm not sure I am bringing VDJ out.

A few hours before the club I did a full equipment and sound check at home on my monitors and spun a warm up 45 minute set and had no problems.
I went dwn to the club at nine and had a drink and then set up in the booth and did a sound check. I adjusted myself on the master board as my highs were a little up but after testing 4 songs we were all good. I activated the locked screen saver on my computer all I did and went down until it was my set.
At about 1:45 I went up and prepped and at just a little before 2AM I took over. 4 songs later someone finally came up to inform me that my entire set has been muffled and that they were only getting the beat essentially. I turned up the monitors all the way and noticed it WAS really poor quality audio. I tweaked the sound to emphasize the highs and mids as much as I could but the actual audio boing pushed out just sounded like CRAP. After I got a relief DJ I immediately quit VDJ and opened up Traktor, (The program I have been trying to switch off of) and I had zero sound quality problems, in fact I had to turn my highs back down to just the way they were during sound check to get everything sounding just right. The entire experience was massively embarrassing as the guest DJ at this club.

I am using a MacBook 2.16 GHz with 3 gigs of Ram, a Stanton Final Scratch Open as the sound card and a Numark Total Control for a controlling interface.

Where did I go wrong here? Can VDJ not handle being left open and idle? Can VDJ just not be left open for too long without having audio degradation problems?

I'd also like to note tat the clock in VDJ never matches the clock on my computer, the times on my playlists have huge gaps in them. It's the weirdest bug but only mildly annoying.

Posted Mon 14 Jul 08 @ 12:49 pm
Sounds to me like the Macbook being on "lock" might be the problem. I would try locking and unlocking again at home and see if the same thing happens.

Posted Mon 14 Jul 08 @ 1:26 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
First try this

go into the codecs tab of the config, and switch mp3 from general audio decoder to quicktime audio decoder, this has solved the problem I had with the Denon 4500 soundcard.

Posted Mon 14 Jul 08 @ 4:04 pm
Will will try this and let you guys know.

Posted Mon 14 Jul 08 @ 7:31 pm
It looks like changing it to quicktime DID fix it.
I started it up at about 7PM and played with it every few hours until I went to bed and then tested it out around 8AM and I had no easily noticeable degradation.

I am going to try and test a lot of different circumstances how to make sure I don't have another problem like before again.

Posted Tue 15 Jul 08 @ 12:46 pm
What it REALLY sounds like to me is that somehow you were playing audio out in MONO, with one of the channels somehow out of phase.

In this case, audio that is the same in both channels, which is most of it, cancels each other out, leaving you with mush.

Posted Sat 26 Jul 08 @ 10:22 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)