Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: can rmx run music from cd players if laptop goes down? (Answer is No)

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Basically my title is my question. I'm running vdj with the hercules rmx, and I'm adding timecode cds to the equation. If vdj crashes for any reason, will I be able to play music through my denon s1000's and the rmx while the laptop reboots? Ideally what I'd do would be burn the timecode info to a cd with some other songs on the disc as well.

Posted Mon 14 Jul 08 @ 1:29 am
If the program crashes, and simply needs to be restarted, yes.

If the laptop itself needs to be rebooted, unfortunately, no, as the RMX is powered by the USB bus, which shuts off (shortly) during a reboot.

My personal way of working around this is a backup 1RU mixer, which I feed the RMX into.

Posted Mon 14 Jul 08 @ 4:40 am
what about a powered usb hub? would that keep power flowing to the rmx if the laptop did have to be rebooted?

Posted Mon 14 Jul 08 @ 4:47 pm
does the rmx have a power adapter? i have my m-audio conectiv connected to power constantly - helps also if the usb power fails for some reason.

Posted Mon 14 Jul 08 @ 11:22 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
DJMarze wrote :
does the rmx have a power adapter?

No it doesn't have any External power option, which is a bit of a bummer, can't understand why it hasn't. The mk2 has and that's a older console.

Posted Tue 15 Jul 08 @ 12:31 am
So what about that powered usb hub idea? Will that work if the laptop needs to reboot?

Posted Wed 16 Jul 08 @ 5:52 pm
My guess is No as it needs the connection to the computer to work same as the mk2.

Posted Wed 16 Jul 08 @ 9:59 pm
tanziPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Microphone works without PC on a powered USB-Hub. Haven't tested Line-In yet.

Greetings Tanzi

Posted Thu 17 Jul 08 @ 6:15 pm
*fingers crossed...* let me know what you find, tanzi :)

Posted Thu 17 Jul 08 @ 9:08 pm
anyone figure this out yet?

Posted Thu 24 Jul 08 @ 9:23 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007

No I wouldn't of thought so, If you have to reboot then the communications, between your laptop and the RMX will be lost, so the music would stop.

You could always get a power hub and try it out for yourself :) but I don't think it will work.

Posted Thu 24 Jul 08 @ 9:41 pm
ron cPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Even with using a powered hub, the RMX will not act as a stand alone mixer. When the virtual dj software shuts down so does the RMX. It is not a matter of power to the RMX, I tried running a cd player off the RMX while using a powered hub and as soon as I shut down the Virtual DJ program, poof, the RMX also shut down.

Posted Wed 27 Aug 08 @ 12:33 pm
tanziPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Same results here,
music on line in stops as soon as you shut down VDJ.

The only resolution seems to sing a little song while your VDJ restarts :D (remember mic works without VDJ ..... )

Greetings Tanzi

Posted Wed 27 Aug 08 @ 4:42 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)