Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: configuring an older ibook with Hercules MK2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

As I'm learning more about OSX and my Macbook Pro, I'm having a renewed interest in an Ibook G4 12" that I have. I would like to use it with the Hercules DJ Console MK2, and keep my MBP with the RMX. The buttons of the RMX configure best with older versions of VDJ.

My Ibook runs OSX 10.4.11 (Tiger, I think), and has a 30 gig HD and 256 Mb of RAM. If all goes well, I'll be upgrading both of those specs. It's of the generation before the Intel chips were used (so cannot be used with Windows). It runs at 1.07 GHz.

Which Hercules drivers do I want to use.. a new one, or older one?

The VDJ download page shows me 5.07 and 5.1 for PC, and 5.08 for Mac (Pro), and two versions of 3.41 for the MK2 (a full version, and an upgrade version), but not one for Mac. There used to be one, didn't there? Can I still get it?

And there's a certain way it has to be configured to work, as I recall finding a blog with screen shots showing the config., but I've lost the bookmark.

Any directional help here would be appreciated.

Steve

Posted Wed 09 Jul 08 @ 7:39 pm
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hi steve,

To ensure VDJ run good, u may have to had at least 512 mb of ram but this will be if only u run it audio. To do audio n video u need to have at least 1 gb. On PPC, i dun think it will werk as well as on those with the intel chips that using duo core technology.

As far i remembered there are no mac home version for the mk2.

Honestly i dun think it best to operate the herc on ur ibook as the driver for the herc required are as below,

Minimum System Requirements:

- G4/G5 1.5 Ghz OR Intel Core Duo 1.66 Ghz and higher
- MAC OS X 10.4 (Tiger) or 10.5 (Leopard)
- 512 Mb RAM

Using VDJ pro, the recommended specs are as below

Mac OSX 10.4.7 or higher
Mac/Intel Core Duo 2.0 GHz or higher
1 GB RAM of higher
Available USB port (USB 2.0)
200 MB free on the hard-drive

U may however try it on ur ibook (trial n error) n use the latest driver for the herc as it fixed some issue to date but i dun think u will find it werking as u want it to be. All the best tho.

And what config are u looking into, pls define more?

Regards;)

Posted Wed 09 Jul 08 @ 8:04 pm
I don't intend to do anything but audio with it, so while I may get slow load times with the slow processor, it should work. And I can and will increase the RAM.

As far as config., I remember the audio configuration being different to the point that I got confused, at first. Something about MK2 and MK2 "aggregate" (whatever that means) - if I pick the wrong one, I get no audio at all, and having to select 4.1 audio, and I'm not sure the headphone out worked or not. I can test all this, if that would be helpful.

Presently, I have older drivers on it, and (I think) 4.3 for Mac.

Posted Wed 09 Jul 08 @ 8:16 pm
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
If u using timescode, u can't use V4.3 mac as it support only the VV box.

U need to use mk2 aggregate n 4 out n activate the herc in the vdj config and use the latest driver in V5.08.

Let me koe how it went for u with the ibook.

Regards;)

Posted Thu 10 Jul 08 @ 4:24 am
I've decided I would like to try and use the ibook for VDJ, audio only, with my choice of (depending on the event): the Hercules MK2, or the Hercules RMX. These should configure exactly the same, once I get my issues resolved. Previously, I have run it (albeit sluggishly) using 4.3 for Mac.

I upgraded the ibook's software and drivers three ways:

1) Latest RMX Mac drivers
2) Latest MK2 Mac drivers
3) VDJ for Mac 5.08

So far, I get "error in sound driver", and when I try and select either controller, I get a red outline around the MK2 icon, meaning it's not correctly detecting the controllers.

Again, I'm a novice Mac user. In Windows, in order to make things work properly, sometimes previous drivers and/or softwares have to be removed before newer ones will work properly. Is this true on a Mac, and if so, is there a tutorial somewhere on how to do this?

I'm just guessing this is my problem - maybe a more experienced Mac user here has ideas or suggestion on how I can resolve these issues?

Thanks in advance.

Posted Sat 12 Jul 08 @ 2:50 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)