Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Setting up Decks to control Hercules MK2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

mfdoomHome userMember since 2005
Hi there, I have been using my Hercules MK2 for a while, but I recently got a pair of Numark TT500s to use with the Hercules.

Thing is, I am a bit lost on what else I need exactly.... I know I need a pair of timecode vinyls, but is there a specific type? Also, what else will I need to set it up, do I need anymore hardware/software?

Cheers!

Posted Mon 07 Jul 08 @ 7:59 am
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
Wow, you've been on these forums since December of '05 and your just now getting around to time coded vinyls...cool. the answer too your question is..it depends on which version of VDJ your using. Also, do you plan on using the MKII sound card? If so it is not very good for time codes, it will work but not very well. Good luck.....

Posted Mon 07 Jul 08 @ 8:04 am
Yep, I've been travelling inbetween :)

I have the VDJ that came with my console, version 3 I think?

I am using the Hercules as a sound card too, yes.

Posted Mon 07 Jul 08 @ 8:52 am
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
mfdoom wrote :
Hi there, I have been using my Hercules MK2 for a while, but I recently got a pair of Numark TT500s to use with the Hercules.

Thing is, I am a bit lost on what else I need exactly.... I know I need a pair of timecode vinyls, but is there a specific type? Also, what else will I need to set it up, do I need anymore hardware/software?

Cheers!

You will need to buy some VirtaulDJ Timecode's which you can order from this site, or a set of Numark timecodes, there are the same as our's, which you can get from any Numark dealer's.

You can use the mk2 as your soundcard, it's not bad, for just mixing. But if you like you scatrcing then it will be crap, something like a Maya44 should be good as a all rounder.

Posted Mon 07 Jul 08 @ 8:57 am
OK, cheers guys. I'll get the timecode vinyl first, see how I find them with the HerculesMK2 and if its crap get a Maya44, or something similar.

One last thing - Is there anywhere in the UK that sells the time code vinyl, as I want it asap! Don't really want to wait for it to arrive from USA!

Cheers.

Posted Mon 07 Jul 08 @ 9:11 am
mfdoom wrote :

One last thing - Is there anywhere in the UK that sells the time code vinyl, as I want it asap! Don't really want to wait for it to arrive from USA!

I'm in Nottingham mate, if you order the timecodes from the site, it will only take 3 - 4 days (mine took 3 day's :) They come from a warehouse in Essex. £32 with delivery I think they cost Pretty good service.

If you want the Numark ones, then find a Numark dealer in your area in the UK, and order them from there, this might take longer though.

Posted Mon 07 Jul 08 @ 9:22 am
Brill, cheers mate, off to order now!

:D

Posted Mon 07 Jul 08 @ 9:26 am
mfdoom wrote :
Brill, cheers mate, off to order now!

:D

No worries, enjoy

Posted Mon 07 Jul 08 @ 9:28 am
jimmy b wrote :
mfdoom wrote :

I'm in Nottingham mate, if you order the timecodes from the site, it will only take 3 - 4 days (mine took 3 day's :) They come from a warehouse in Essex. £32 with delivery I think they cost Pretty good service.

If you want the Numark ones, then find a Numark dealer in your area in the UK, and order them from there, this might take longer though.

Are you sure about the shipping from Essex? For a $25 delivery fee we should get a next day service too (probably still pressed in America which is my major problem)! I've had about 4 pairs of TCV and have never been 100% happy with any of them, even having to replace a pair due to severe warping. The majority of them (seem to be pressed in New York) are negligibly warped, although their pitch isn't great in the last 1/4 of the vinyl. Although it's still possible to mix, unlike the very first pair of TCV I ever purchased.

Personally my next vinyl order may be of the Serato variety, which I will use with VirtualDJ, do love the software. I just need to find out what VirtualDJ's native support is like since 5.1.

Posted Mon 07 Jul 08 @ 10:36 pm

Yep I am sure, there even pressed in the UK aswell, near where the warehouse is, I spoke to the teamer who deals with that side of things, when they became available to us a few months ago.

Don't mind paying that as the Numark TCV would cost just about the same price, so really it ain't a bad price.

Posted Tue 08 Jul 08 @ 12:06 am
I've ordered the TCV and I got the decks last night, theyre great decks, but I was gutted to see that the cartridges weren't included!

Ive had a quick look, but to be honest it would take me hours to research and find a good pair of cartridges, so I thought I might just ask you guys instead. My budget is about 50 quid for both, anyone got any suggestions? I thought it might be cheaper to get them from the US too, as they are v.light so postage won`t be much...

Any help appreciated, can`t wait to get this setup up and running!

Posted Tue 08 Jul 08 @ 6:14 am
kotdbPRO InfinityMember since 2007
If you have a Hercules mk2, two decks and a laptop but you want to include a good quality usb soundcard can you bypass the herc card but still use it to mix?

Always found the herc card a bit underpar but never considered bypassing it with a better usb soundcard.

Posted Thu 17 Jul 08 @ 11:12 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)