Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: BPM's slightly off

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hey guys, this one is kind of weird. I upgraded to the new 5.1, and am really enjoying using serato timecode (you guys rock).

I had to reindex every file due to the new engine that does key and stuff, and some of my bpm's on tracks are off. Not a whole lot, but for example my remix of snoop dogg sexual seduction is exactly 120.0, and in previous VDJ versions, it would show as such. Now its registering as 120.2. This isnt a huge deal, but it just kind of makes me wonder... in other songs that I cant recall, it would vary by as much as +2 or -2. Any ideas or suggestions?

Dedicated computer with VDJ / Serato installed.
E8400, 4GB ram, 1gb graphics, 1x 500gb + 3x 1TB.
2x 1210 Technic
SL-1
DJM-800

All files are .vob
I have more issues with the ones that I remixed myself in vegas.

Grateful for any help....

RaveDave

Posted Sat 05 Jul 08 @ 1:05 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Try to re-analyse your file again

Otherwise, it's linked to the BPM in the TAG because VirtualDJ reads it if there is one and now in 5.1 adapts the VirtualDJ BPM to it

Posted Sat 05 Jul 08 @ 6:43 am
in the TAG?

I guess im confused. I didnt know .vob files had tags....

and re-analyzing doesnt help....

:(

Posted Sat 05 Jul 08 @ 4:16 pm
djpr1PRO InfinityMember since 2008
Same problem here, not a big deal but frustrating at times.
Still love my VDJ tho.

Posted Sat 05 Jul 08 @ 4:55 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
SSD-RaveDave wrote :
in the TAG?

I guess im confused. I didnt know .vob files had tags....

Oups, you are right. I read too fast about the .vob thing :-(

Posted Sat 05 Jul 08 @ 4:59 pm
Ok, well, I want an answer to this issue. I was going to reinstall the older version of VDJ, and figure out the exact differences, but that is no longer an option for me. Evidently you are only allowed to format and reinstall Virtual DJ so many times. And a word of wisdom to people that use download accelerators - I cant get mine to actually download from this site, but it still counts as a download. Bah. That really pisses me off. What if I had to reinstall VDJ in an emergency and couldn't download what I paid for?

Anyways. Heres an example that hopefully other people may be able to test.

Funkymix 113 has a 120.0BPM version of sensual seduction. Its actually 119.949BPM - if you wanted to get specific. I cant remember if the older version of VDJ (5.07) said it was 120 or 119.9, but the beat indicators never strayed. 5.1 says the file is 120.2, and the beat indicators DO stray, albeit very slowly and gradually.

Posted Sun 06 Jul 08 @ 5:53 am
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007

Why don't you save the Set up file of VirtualDJ, once downloaded in a special folder, or a memory stick or even burn it to CD. then if you want to go back to it as many times as you like all you have to do is to run it of your memory stick or CD. I have the last 3 version stored this way.

As for your BPM issue, I'm sorry if this sounds abit harsh, but a difference of 0.2 or 0.3 is not much to get pissed off about, simply solution is to hit the pitch bend buttons a couple of times, well that's what I would do anyway.

Posted Sun 06 Jul 08 @ 6:17 am
Yes, I intend to do that in regards to the install files. Just didn't think I would need to.

As to what you said about BPMs. Yeah, .2 or .3 is not going to make that much of a difference. I am honestly more pissed about the download limit than I am about the BPM issue... I just wanted to have a solid example of a song that VDJ was incorrectly BPMing that alot of people would have. Just came to my mind really fast. As I said in my initial post, this seems to vary between songs, and can often be more than .2 off. Its easy to correct, just slightly annoying. For about 2 weeks prior to the 5.1 coming out, as I gigged, I spent an extra 15 seconds of time per song fixing all the incorrect beat indicators for every song I played. I didnt realize how easy that made my job. I could loop the instrumental outro of an extended and bring in a song with a non musical intro and still have it flow. And when the beats hit, if I lined up the boxes correctly, it would sound perfect. Tonite, I did the outro of a video remix of Dolla - Who the fuck is that into the intro of the original video of gorilla zoe - hood figga. Granted, thats not a perfect mix in terms of key's... but it works well enough for me.

I can definitely mix faster having exactly correct BPM's. I guess I have just gotten lazy :/

Posted Sun 06 Jul 08 @ 6:57 am
contact support and they can help ya:)

Posted Sun 06 Jul 08 @ 4:21 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)