Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: A Video Input - Hardware Advice

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I put this in the MAC forum hoping to get specific advice, I can easily find hardware for windows.

I'm looking for a moderately priced USB or Firewire (preferably compatible with both where available) that I can use with my mac to work with the camera input plugin.
I want to be able to connect the video source by Composite or S-Video.
Basically I need it to present itself to OS as if it was a webcam, this means I can also use it with Arkaos VJ.

It would also be highly beneficial to me if the same device also worked with windows so I could by the same hardware.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ross M.

Posted Fri 27 Jun 08 @ 8:00 am
Does nobody know of any hardware that can do this. Even if it's just for Mac and doesn't do windows too?

Ross M

Posted Mon 30 Jun 08 @ 2:12 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Which mac do you use?

Posted Mon 30 Jun 08 @ 2:44 pm
HiTowerPRO InfinityMember since 2007

Posted Mon 30 Jun 08 @ 10:21 pm
Im running MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 GHz, 1 GB Running Tiger 10.4.11

Basically all I want is instead of using a USB Webcam or my iSight with the camera plugin
A USB or FireWire device that I can connect a live camera to that will present itself as a webcam available to use by the Camera Plugin.

Does that make sense?

Ross M

Posted Tue 01 Jul 08 @ 5:34 pm
Since I never tried to use my product for what you're doing, I can't say that it will work. Although, the website says the box is basically a converter for video applications. In theory, if you're just looking for something to connect a camera for conversion, it seems like it would work. I bought mine at the Apple Store. Could be worth a try as long as they'll take it back if it doesn't work.

Posted Wed 02 Jul 08 @ 1:02 am
I already bought a similar device and that didn't work, it turned out to be for the purpose of archiving.

Would you mind awfully giving it a try if you have a camera or another video source you could connect to it and see if it will show up using the camera plugin?
Only if you don't mind.

Thanks
Ross

Posted Wed 02 Jul 08 @ 12:37 pm
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hi Dj Ross M, maybe u can check this out.

Not sure if this u looking for n i trying to help here;)

Posted Wed 02 Jul 08 @ 1:22 pm
My video camera is on loan right now, and I don't have any applications that use a video camera unless iChat can do it. Never used iChat, so I'm not sure if it has that option. If it does, I'll get my camera back and try it out.

Posted Thu 03 Jul 08 @ 2:39 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)