Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Driver letter change problem [PLAYLIST]

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I use a 500gb external hard drive, ever since purchase, Windows has assigned the letter G: to that drive. I was going out to Ibiza last week to DJ, I didn't want to take my 500gb drive because my gigs were audio only and I didn't need the Videos and also to minimise weight, space, etc. So, I decided to use a 16gb flash drive instead. On testing at home I installed the flash drive to the same USB port I normally use for the USB hard drive. Windows assigned the letter E: to the flash drive.

Later when I went to my residency just before leaving for Ibiza, I plugged my hard drive in and to my horror Windows assigned the letter E: to my external hard drive. The problem with this was all my playlists were useless as they were pointing at the drive letter G: I couldn't remember how to reassign a drive letter so my workaround was to unplug the hard drive and plug into other USB ports two flash drives (E: & F:) then plug in the hard drive last (G:), which worked.

When in Ibiza I avoided plugging the flash drive into the USB port that I normally use the external hard drive on to avoid drive letter changes to that port. Does Windows retain that last drive letter used? I don't know.

On returning from Ibiza my hard drive is back to drive G: when I plug it in. I've checked up on changing drive letters and stored a text file on the gig computer in case I need it again. I'm wondering is there some simple way to change the drive letters in the playlists, or, am I going to be stuck with making sure the drive letter is always G: ?

Posted Thu 26 Jun 08 @ 3:44 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
The playlist file .m3u is not dynamic as it doesn't update the drive.
It would be a good idea to write a batch file with an autorun

Posted Thu 26 Jun 08 @ 6:53 am
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
There is a fairly simple way of changing drive letters in a playlist file. Open the file in notepad, and use the find/replace feature. For example, you can set it to search the file for any occurrance of "E:/tunes" and automatically change it to "G:/tunes"....

Alternatively, you can change the letter that windows has assigned to a drive. Go into control panel - administrative tools - computer management, and go to the disk management screen. Here you can select the drive in question, right-click it and select the option to change the drive letter.

Hope this helps!

Posted Thu 26 Jun 08 @ 8:02 am
[djsherz]
"There is a fairly simple way of changing drive letters in a playlist file. Open the file in notepad, and use the find/replace feature. For example, you can set it to search the file for any occurrance of "E:/tunes" and automatically change it to "G:/tunes"...."

Only problem with this is if you have lots of playlists, could be quite time consuming.

Maybe in future versions of the program a playlist option could be implemented to 'relocate' missing files as they have in Traktor.

Posted Thu 26 Jun 08 @ 1:15 pm
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Probably easier just to manually change your drive letter then, only takes a min... :-)

I've stopped using playlists altogether now in favour of virtual folders - unlike a playlist, they're not dependent on keeping the same drive letter.

Posted Thu 26 Jun 08 @ 5:31 pm
Hmmm, never really looked at Virtual Folders. Will have to look into them now...........

Posted Fri 27 Jun 08 @ 3:14 am
I noticed the main database doesn't care what the drive letter is, even though it's in the xml file.

Are the virtual folders stored on the external drive? I know the filter folders are stored on the computer itself.

Which things are dependent on drive letters?

So far I know this:

Dependent on drive letter:
play lists (stored on computer)

Not dependent on drive letter:
main database (stored on ext. drive)
virtual folders (stored on ?)
filter folders (stored on computer)

Thanks!

Posted Mon 30 Jun 08 @ 6:20 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
jackbsok wrote :
Dependent on drive letter:
play lists (stored on computer)

Static filepath for .mu3

jackbsok wrote :

Not dependent on drive letter:
main database (stored on ext. drive)
virtual folders (stored on ?)
filter folders (stored on computer)

Dynamic filepath for .xml
Favorite, Virtual and Filter folders are stored in the database

Posted Tue 01 Jul 08 @ 3:57 am
djcel wrote :

Dynamic filepath for .xml
Virtual and filter folders are stored in the database

When you say dynamic filepath for .xml what exactly do you mean? I know the filepaths inside the xml state "f:" (for instance). However, when I connect the drive as g:, Cue still finds my song files. Is this because Cue looks at f: and doesn't see anything so it tries other drives or does Cue rewrite the .xml and change the paths to g: instead of f: or does Cue ignore the drive letter and automatically use the drive letter that the drive is currently using (so it automatically knows to replace every f: with g:)???

And yes, filter folders are stored in the database, but I found them in the database stored on the computer, not in the database stored on my ext. drive.

I'm just trying to see what I have to watch out for if my drive changes letters and where I find my custom folders when I want to copy some from one system to another.

A nice list of where all special folders are stored and which folders/playlists/databases need the proper drive letter would be REAL useful :) That's something I'd like to add to the wiki ;)

Thanks!

Posted Tue 01 Jul 08 @ 1:25 pm
Any more info DJ Cel???

Posted Wed 09 Jul 08 @ 12:18 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)