Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Karaoke Hardware

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hey guys...:o)

I'm wondering if any karaoke users can help me. I'm starting to push my karaoke services in a fairly big way, but want to get a 'proper' karaoke set up as opposed to running two mics through my mixer.

I've been advised to go with a powered mackie mixing desk such as the CFX12, but if you ask me, this is a bit much, both from a cost and overkill point of view.

I'd be quite happy to spend a few bucks on getting something pretty reliable with a good sound quality...any recommendations?

Also, what about power? Alot of them are relatively small...less than 500watts...what would anyone recommend?

Cheers...and keep spinnin'...(",)

P

Posted Wed 25 Jun 08 @ 9:46 am
I just patched a 4-channel mic mixer into the effects unit, then into a "line-in" channel on the mixer...Works pretty well - this allows me to apply effects only to the mics and control volume for each one independently. I think a powered mixer is overkill for karaoke also ;)

Posted Wed 25 Jun 08 @ 10:54 pm
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I use the same sound system that I'd normally use for a gig - but with the addition of a portable telly and a Behringer 12 channel mixing desk. This feeds the radio and cable mics, and the output from my console. It has some built in effects that give some gentle reverb where needed to the mics.

One thing I would recommend for karaoke though - get yourself some basic rackmount compressor/limiters to go with the mixer. Hook them up to the insert points of the mic channels. Karaoke singers can be so varied, from the mousey-quiet to the screamer, and everywhere inbetween. I find a bit of compression and a peak limiter hides a multitude of sins, and makes everything sound a lot sweeter!

Posted Thu 26 Jun 08 @ 8:51 am
I have a few different set ups but being that I work outside a lot and want to save my powered speakers for indoors I opt for a Yamaha EMX512SC Powered Mixer with Effects (2x500 Watts) 350 watts x 2 @ 8 ohms (very light). Two Yamaha sv115 club series @ 500 watts @8 ohms. What a great sound at a relatively inexpensive price. The mixer has built in compression on 4 channels, You can probably make a deal at any music store for just over a grand. You will have a great sounding system, portable and have it paid off in 3 jobs. I have a case which I have everything integrated i.e. 6fx mackie mixer,sure pgx wireless mic,vestax VCM 100 controller,laptop, 120 external hard drive, ac adapters ,all plugged in to an include 6 way power strip with surge protection. Built into a gator case 24 in. x 36 in with foam . I just out to the yamaha from the mackie and I can control total mix from the mackie. When I'm inside I go right from the mackie to the powered speakers or to a qsc pwr amp.

Posted Wed 09 Jul 08 @ 3:23 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)