Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Problem with Crackey & Poppey Sound

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi, I'm hoping someone here can help me. I've recently noticed a problem with crackey and poppey sound, sometimes it's nearly continuous. I've been running VDJ since mid-2004, and on some pretty busted machines and haven't had a problem with the sound until recently, when I upgraded the version and the machine. I don't have a particularly special setup, am just using the program at home to make mix cd's for friends. I'm using the following setup:

Vista
AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core 3800+
3GB SDRAM
Whatever sound card came with the machine

When the problem occurs (which is almost always), the machine doesn't seem to be running up against any performance limitations. Also, I tried creating a separate profile with less programs running and very basic visuals to free up more performance, made things slightly better but did not solve the problem. It sounds like the sound is not being processed correctly, as opposed to a situation where the sound skips because of not enough memory.

I don't know what else to do. Hopefully someone here can help.

Thanks!
-Chris

Posted Tue 24 Jun 08 @ 9:56 am
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Crackling and poping occours when the software clashes with ASIO drivers, or when a
latency (buffer size) is lowerd too much and it cannot be handeled properly. Raising
the latency usually does the trick (if it is very low), but I experienced an unusual problem
a few weeks ago, that the crackling was very audiable (on any ASIO/performance settings)
on tracks that had filtered (low pass) transitions. I often used the software while having
drivers shared with Cubase system, so I figured the settings might got corrupted. Simple
reinstalling of the Virtual Dj and setting a solid latency removed the problem, the sound
now has no degradation at all.

Another issue can happen when timestretch algorithm (master tempo) is being used,
if the settings are too high, latency too low or/and slow CPU, you will experience
drouputs and heavy crackling.

Hope some of this info directs you into resolving your issue, otherwise more drastic mesures
might be needed such as driver reinstallation or even the OS.

(before reinstalling make sure you backed up the song info database, keyboard shortcut
settings etc.)

Ps.: "Whatever sound card came with the machine" is not a good attitude for reliable
work on audio, it's one of the most cruical parts of the system. :)

Posted Tue 24 Jun 08 @ 12:09 pm
Erxon, thanks for the quick reply! I tried effing around with the various options under "Settings/Performance" but didn't really know what I was doing (or solve the problem for that matter). I assume the latency you are referring to is the one listed under "Sound Card," under settings/performance? Right now it's set to auto, but I'll try messing around with that again.

You said, "Crackling and poping occurs when the software clashes with ASIO drivers." I'm not quite sure I follow here (I read the wikipedia link but it was a bit over my head). Does my computer come with ASIO drivers? If not, should I try installing one? If you can expand on this I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks again!
-Chris

Posted Tue 24 Jun 08 @ 12:49 pm
Latency can be set under perfromance, but I think that is a software override over actual driver setting.
The driver settings can be accessed directly in Sound Setup menu under soundcard choice > ASIO config
(if ASIO driver is selected). I also have it set to Auto under performance tab.

To explain ASIO shorty, it's basically a protocol that communicates directly with your soundcard avoiding
high latency Microsoft DirectSound, so that the delay between an action you perform and sound you
hear or record is minimal (as unnoticable as possible). The SoundCard manufacturer usually provides it's
own ASIO drivers for their hardware, that is why I pointed out that the sound card choice is important,
as you can see what performance you will get with it in recording and playback (from latency to a/d d/a
conversion, to quantization clock stability, sampling resolution, midi availabilty etc.).

But for your kind of work, you only need a simple 5.1 (at least 4 mono output) soundcard that supports
ASIO, and that's it. You probably have one already, but you probably didn't select the right drivers.
If a CD was provided on purchase, install those, don't use the suggested ASIO DirectX FullDuplex or
ASIO Multimedia driver if dedicated are available.

Pic1 [SoundSetup]: I have a Saffari LE soundcard with provided ASIO drivers.

There are also "universal" ASIO drivers available called asio4all, which should in theory work with
any ASIO sound card. But trying these should be your last resort.

Also, in VDj settings, under performance you may tick the Safe Mode and Overclock options,
try different combinations if you still experience the crackling problems, I'm not sure which
setting corresponds to what function exactly, but people had issues just because of these
options set incorrectly to their system.

Making a PC work flawlessly isn't so easy, is it? :)

Posted Tue 24 Jun 08 @ 2:46 pm
Erxon,

This is fantastic, thanks so much for your help! I'll mess around when I get home tonight and see if the ASIO driver for the soundcard solves the problem, or if i can tweak it another way to get it to work.

Regards,
-Chris

Making a PC work flawlessly is definitely NOT easy! :)

Posted Tue 24 Jun 08 @ 3:24 pm
No problem, good luck!

Posted Tue 24 Jun 08 @ 3:36 pm
Problem solved.

Playing with the ASIO drivers helped a lot but did not completely solve the problem. Wierdly, I noticed that the sound issue only occurs on deck 1, not on deck 2 (dunno what this is about). Anyway, I ultimately discovered the "Reset to Factory Settings" button and clicked that. Problem solved. I have no idea what was reset or why it fixed the problem. I didn't think I had changed anything drastic, But if someone else reads this later with the same issue, maybe give that a shot.

Erxon, thanks again for your help!

Posted Wed 25 Jun 08 @ 10:32 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)