Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Question about using Bootcamp on a Mac

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

This is more of a computer question.

I have a MacBook Pro that I have installed Windows XP on as well, via Bootcamp. I have a 20 gig partiition for my Window programs. I would like to be able to use Virtual D.J. either via the Mac version, or via Windows (separate installs of separate software versions). My question is this: In Windows, I can't seem to "see" the music collection I put on the hard drive, because it's paritioned on the "Mac" side. How do I work around this, or would I have to have separate media for separate operating systems?

Posted Wed 11 Jun 08 @ 11:32 pm
SteveSharp wrote :
This is more of a computer question.

My question is this: In Windows, I can't seem to "see" the music collection I put on the hard drive, because it's paritioned on the "Mac" side. How do I work around this, or would I have to have separate media for separate operating systems?

The only ways around this would be:

1: Use an external hard drive formatted in Fat32. This way both OSX & Windows can read & write to it.
2: Create the new Windows partition in NTFS format & use this third party app to enable Mac OSX to read NTFS
http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/
I didn't find number 2 very useful cause the music would load slowly as Mac OSX would consider reading each file as a write call which made reading the songs very slow & was causing skips when loading a track.
3: If your Music is less than 32GB (which I doubt), Create the new Windows partition in Fat32 (cause that's the largest it can be - (disadvantage) & place the music on the windows side cause OSX can read Fat32.

Besides that I don't think there's any other way. I was trying to do the same thing this morning until I gave up & decided to wait for the Mac version. If there's a way to make option 3 take more than 32GB, that would be best.

Posted Thu 12 Jun 08 @ 12:17 am
Forgot to mention that putting the music on the OSX side isn't going to work cause Windows can't read or write Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Posted Thu 12 Jun 08 @ 12:35 am
Right now, I have two partitions: 20 gig in Windows (which I did in FAT32, for this very reason), and the remainder of the 250 Gig under OSX. I'll need to redo the partition to accomodate the music collection I want to have on it?

If I understand correctly, Windows can't read the OSX side. Can OSX read the Windows side?

Posted Thu 12 Jun 08 @ 12:41 am
Yes, OsX can read the Windows side only if it's in Fat32 format.

If it's NTFS, use the link I placed above for the 10 day, fully functional trial version of the software which will enable OsX to read NTFS.

btw, take a look at this link. I found something very interesting. Apparently you can use more than 32GB in Fat32 even though bootcamp says not to do it.

http://www.ehmac.ca/anything-mac/39190-fat32-vs-ntfs-bootcamp.html

Posted Thu 12 Jun 08 @ 1:28 am
If you try it let me know how it works for you. Unfortunately I'm back to my hectic work week so I can't really do much.

Posted Thu 12 Jun 08 @ 5:29 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
osx 10.5 + should be able to read ntfs by default.

Posted Sat 14 Jun 08 @ 3:42 pm
Finally, where've you been?

Read, what about write? The issue that most (at least I have) is that you can't write to the NTFS partition & the Fat32 limitation kinda blows.

Posted Sat 14 Jun 08 @ 4:16 pm
The "geniuses" (no sarcasm, just the name of the position) at the Apple Store suggested using a software on the Windows side called MacDrive. Do any of our Mac users here (especially those using VDJ) have experience with MacDrive?

It's $50. Is it worth it?

Posted Mon 16 Jun 08 @ 2:01 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
external fat32 drive is the only way to go format it on fat32 on the osx side. and you can do well past 32 gb, and I'm glad you listened to me about xp on the mbp, vista works the best if your doing video xp has nothing but issues.

Posted Mon 16 Jun 08 @ 7:22 am
Really? So Vista + VDJ + Bootcamp is better than XP + VDJ + Bootcamp? I'm gonna try it today. I thought the opposite. But how do you go past 32GB? And I thought Vista could only be installed on NTFS. It didn't give me the Fat32 option when I tried to install Vista.

Posted Mon 16 Jun 08 @ 8:11 am
I don't recall any mention of which Windows OS to use, just your assurance the mbp would be a great option. Is there a particular "flavor" of Vista I should be looking at?

Posted Mon 16 Jun 08 @ 10:57 am
its posted in my rmx thread here http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/90584/MAC_Version_Technical_Support/9_hour_gig_sucessfull_with_the_RMX.html thread, yes vista works better on the mbp then xp especially if you plan on doing video, take it from me I've had both and currently gig with vista home. and yes if you format in osx you can go past the 32 gb barrier, I currently have a 1tb fat32 partition on my main gig drive. to format the drive as FAT32 on the Macintosh, simply open "Disk Utility" from /Applications/Utilties, highlight the disk in the left-hand sidebar, select the "Erase" tab, and select "MS-DOS File System" from the volume format pull-down menu.

Proof if you need it

Posted Mon 16 Jun 08 @ 11:11 am
I didn't see the last message in that thread until now. Which version or "flavor" of Vista is your preference? Home?

Posted Mon 16 Jun 08 @ 1:51 pm
Oh, ok Cyder, I see what you're saying. Yeah that's possible. That's an external HD. It's not possible on the partition you install Vista on to go past 32GB. My problem is that I have my music internally, but I've decided to go external. It's just pissing to lag around a hard drive when you need to do a little editing on your music. Thanks.

Posted Mon 16 Jun 08 @ 3:27 pm
Thanks for the tip. Vista definetely plays better than XP in Video.

Posted Mon 16 Jun 08 @ 6:45 pm
yeah, I had loads and loads of issues running xp on my mbp, btw guys I'm moving this thread over to the mac section (please support our mac community) I switched to vista home, I haven't updated to sp1 just yet maybe after my busy season. Anyways I had freezing when playing mp4 videos in xp in vista there isn't any problem. Its getting better the more updates they release for bootcamp. The last one fixed a problem I had with quicktime.

Posted Mon 16 Jun 08 @ 9:45 pm
jchiarPRO InfinityMember since 2005
SteveSharp wrote :
The "geniuses" (no sarcasm, just the name of the position) at the Apple Store suggested using a software on the Windows side called MacDrive. Do any of our Mac users here (especially those using VDJ) have experience with MacDrive?

It's $50. Is it worth it?

Ive got mac drive. I use it at work when i need to ready my mac disks.

Fat32 just suck IMHO. It old, limited and just plain sucks.

Here is something for the haters to test. Try renaming a file in windows. Gow in VDJ or itunes and try to play it. You cant, cause the os looses track of the file.

Now in Mac OS, rename a file. Now try to play the file in itunes or VDJ. Bing, it still knows it cause the OS knows the inode (place on disk).

This is one reason to try using HFS+ (mac os) instead of FAT32.

Posted Fri 20 Jun 08 @ 8:14 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)