Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Losing All Mix Points when upgrading from 5.06 to 5.1!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

ReTangoPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Hi,
Upgraded to 5.1 but had to go back to 5.06 because I lost Mix Points for Automixing. Luckily I made a backup of the database file before upgrading, otherwise I would have lost several mix points.
When 5.1 plays on automix mode songs for which I selected special automix points in 5.06 (or 5.07), it overwrites the mix points with new calculated ones (usually at the end of the song), and info on the mix point is lost in the database, even if you downgrade to 5.06.
When you load a song and edit Mix Points in 5.1 ("Edit BPM" -> "Edit Automix"), even if you do not play it, it overwrites the mix point (after pressing either "Mix Cut" or "Mix Tempo" radio button), and again you lose the info forever as far as I know.
Any possible solution? Should I wait for the next release? Please don't ask me to re enter all the mix points...I rather stay forever on 5.06 than doing all that work again!

@ dev team: I love VDJ, use it a lot, and its an outstanding product (now much more with Hercules Rmx). However I feel you do not give enough priority to protecting users databases on upgrades. When upgrading to 3 to 4 I lost several cue points and bpm info, and had to rebuild it. Now, with 5.1, I´m afraid I'll lose all the mix points.. It took me forever to have an organized database with mix points in each mix mode, bpms and cues for each song. I am not migrating to numark iDJ2 vs. VDJ + Rmx exclusively because of all the time I have invested in this database. So please, before launching an update, besides testing for all the things I know you already test (sound, bpm engine, remote controls, interface, and all the marvelous things you program), also test thoroughly Database Security.... After all these years, the database is a huge asset for me, please take care of it as much as I do! With these so obviuos and easily detectable bugs in new releases, I feel not enough priority is put on protecting all the time I invested in your program... ... Just a constructive feedback.

Thanks and congratulations for the program,
ReTango

Posted Wed 11 Jun 08 @ 5:52 pm
Am I the only one with this problem? Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any help!

Posted Sat 14 Jun 08 @ 6:05 pm
ewitlesPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Every cue point was gone for me as well. I'm like - why bother now. I was using 5.0x for past few weddings and setting cue points for mixing.

Dropped 5.1 and now the cue points are gone. Not only that, but the icon that showed track was played (and time info) was gone as well.

Not very smooth.......

Oh well....

Posted Sat 14 Jun 08 @ 7:28 pm
Everyone has this problem. VDJ screwed up bigtime with this.

Posted Mon 16 Jun 08 @ 1:16 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Yes because of the BPM engine and the processes that occur as a result of the re-analyze, Automix points are affected. We apologize for the inconvenience and the oversight during testing. This was not intentional and the Dev Team is aware of the issue.

I can not offer a resolution as once the data is written to the database then the prior data is lost. But, moving forward we hope to see this corrected so that the efforts made by the users in setting up your systems is not lost or modified -- UNLESS absolutely necessary in order for a feature to work correctly. This was not the case in this instance.

Posted Mon 16 Jun 08 @ 5:39 pm
Thanks for the info. Of course, everyone should always back up their databases before any upgrade, so no harm done for some of us. Although I know some fell prey to it :(

I look forward to 5.1.1 with this fix :) Can't update 'til then!

Posted Tue 17 Jun 08 @ 1:19 pm
@cstoll: thanks for answering!. Luckily I had made a backup of my database before upgrading, so I did not lose any information. I downgraded to v5.07 and restored the old database. Do you know if there is any plan to solve this issue in the next VDJ revision? I don't want to upgrade until this is solved, but I long fot the better Hercules Rmx features of 5.1...thanks again,
ReTango

Posted Sat 21 Jun 08 @ 8:57 pm
Problem seems to be solved thanks to jakko:
I Repost his solution here, tried it and is working for me so far:

I have a hack solution to this. Open your databse file VirtualDJ Local Database v5.xml with some text editor like wordpad (make sure to make a backup copy of the database file first!!).
Then you have to do a search-and-replace operation:
Search for a String: IsScanned="1"
and replace it with: IsScanned="510"

Save the document.

Now VDJ 5.1 never rescans any tracks except new ones and those that never been scanned before.
Hope this helped!

EDIT: alas, Just noticed that the key gets never analyzed then. Perfect solution should be that 5.1 scans only key for old tracks and left everything else untouched.

Posted Wed 02 Jul 08 @ 9:41 pm
jaakkoPRO InfinityMember since 2006
You're welcome! (make me an experienced professional user now! Just joking...:)
Please remember to be very careful when editing database.xml manually and make backups first! If you use this hack, the key value and improved autogain is never analyzed. Also some yet unforseen problems or bugs may occur in the future. I would like to hear an official comment about using this hack from atomix, is it safe or not.

Posted Thu 03 Jul 08 @ 7:04 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)