Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Mac Maintainance Problem!!!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi, iv had my mac for about 6months now, maybe more.
its a macbook and i use it for pretty much everything as well as DJ'ing, work, films, chat etc.
My problem is recently the fan has been making a lot of noise, it begins spinning really fast and sounds labored. I have a diamond case thing for the mac which i brought off ebay, should i take this off?
The macbook does not really feel hot at all underneath yet the fan is still making a lot of noise.
Also i have insurance at PC World for my mac, does anyone know how good this insurance is? And if it does need to go in for repairs will it be free as i have insurance or will they just try and scam me?
i know PC world are pretty bad with mac's too! :(
all help much appreciated!!!

Posted Mon 09 Jun 08 @ 6:53 pm
Sounds like your hard drive is having to work harder than it did six months ago because you likely have a lot of clutter and fragments. Your Mac's fan likely never had to run at full speed until recently because you've slowly bogged down your HD over time. Now your HD is working harder, your CPU is working harder and your fan is working harder to keep everything cool.

Posted Mon 09 Jun 08 @ 10:41 pm
whats the best way to de-clutter?
i have run mono lingual and got rid of the languages i didnt need.
It was making a really loud noise last night and my CPU usage was only 12%
Any tips on how to clear it up before i take it in for repairs? I have until October till the warranty runs out, and i would much rather not have to send my lappy in!
Cheers

Posted Tue 10 Jun 08 @ 5:22 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
get rid of that damn case your mac can't properly cool covered in plastic geeze.

Posted Tue 10 Jun 08 @ 7:56 am
have done, recon thats probably why the fan has gone iffy.
one year warrentys not up yet anyways so im going to take it in for repairs :)

Posted Tue 10 Jun 08 @ 12:47 pm
jchiarPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Psytramp wrote :
Any tips on how to clear it up before i take it in for repairs? I have until October till the warranty runs out, and i would much rather not have to send my lappy in!
Cheers

Declutter what?

Posted Fri 20 Jun 08 @ 8:17 am
jchiarPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Psytramp wrote :
Cheers

Why not just goto the apple store. Hell its free :)

Posted Fri 20 Jun 08 @ 8:18 am
jchiar wrote :
Psytramp wrote :
Cheers

Why not just goto the apple store. Hell its free :)

It's free, but there's no comfort in letting someone handle your machine. There's the satisfaction you get when you handle something like this yourself. There's no way in hell I would let those "geniuses" touch my machine unless it's broken & need to be fixed/replaced & there's nothing I can do about it.

If u need to learn how to do it, by all means do, cause it's always going to help u till the day you die.

Posted Fri 20 Jun 08 @ 2:47 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)