Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: WHICH EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE WOULD YOU RECOMMEND FOR MACS?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hello I am a MAC BOOK PRO 2.5 GHz 4 giga ram+ VDJ Pro user....I want to ask the people that are very experience in macs and vdj....which is THE BEST external hard drive to use with macs and store over 80 gigs of music?....if you can put the link of where i can find it please do....If its AC powered its fine...i just want it to be fast...and be able to hook it up and search fast...
Thanks for all your help!!
Dj Andres Guerrero

Posted Sun 08 Jun 08 @ 10:26 pm
Hi ODPhiXIPI1,

I would highly recommend LaCie external hard drives. I have several friends that work for a well known TV Sports Network and they
use these drives out in the field and in the HD broadcast studios.

I have another professional dj and he has 5 of these puppies lined up next to his Mac Book Pros in his studio as well. From past experiences,
I would suggest getting a drive with fire wire for your music to allow the MBP to access the files quickly. Not that usb is insufficient, I just
have several controllers and peripherals streaming into a powered usb hub. I had a very slight performance issue but once I added firewire—no issues.
(though I have yet to maxed out my my ram to 4g)

All of my LaCie's are refurbs, in most cases—just like the refurb Macs—have undergone extensive original factory testing to ensure
performance and reliability. And the referrals from other pros really adds value. Storage sizing + reliablitly + pricing = LaCie

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/clearance/products/?id=10007

http://www.unityelectronics.com/product-product_id/4631/m/LaCie/p/301199U_R

Hope this helps.

Lotusviper7
Pro One Boston Entertainments

Posted Mon 09 Jun 08 @ 1:20 pm
Thanks man...Great Info!!! i have one last question...I have a simple tech 350 gigs hard drive AC powered..it connects to the comp by usb...now....can i buy a firewire cable and connect that external dirve to my mac?

Thanks Again

Dj Andres Guerrero

Posted Tue 10 Jun 08 @ 1:46 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)