Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: really really new mac user

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hello everybody i just bought my macbook MB403 2.40 gh, 2048 ram and 160 giga harddrive.its the first time i ever use or see a mac.i have heard many good things about it.so i decided to make the big step.
so i need all te help possible,and for virtual and for mac.on the performance option of virtual dj, what quality should i choose?so far my virtual dj runs a litle slow,i have a 13.3" screen.
how do i run it in full screen?without having the icons on top and bottom of my screen open?i found a fullscreen option but its not wide it cuts the left and right part of the screen.
i have a lot of difficulties so far,so any tip for the mac is really really welcome.

Posted Sun 08 Jun 08 @ 2:17 am
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hi Nikos, welcome to the mac community of VDJ.

Take a look at this thread if u haven't.

The performance in mac depends on kinds of hardware n soundcards.

Do tell what is ur system made of n what soundcards are u using? And what are u trying to achieve? Timecode etc?

For ur solution on gaining to have the full screen option, i would advised use this in the meantime. I use it for my macbook;)

There are some more btw;)

Also if there is a skin that u like when using PC, u could zip them from ur PC to ur Mac.

Look here.

Regards.

Posted Sun 08 Jun 08 @ 4:29 am
here is my full system specification at least the one that i can find:
Processor 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
L2 cache 3MB shared
System bus 800MHz
Memory 2GB (two 1GB) of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300); supports up to 4GB
Hard drive 160GB Serial ATA; 5400 rpm
Slot-loading
optical drive 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Graphics Intel GMA X3100 graphics processor with 144MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory3
Video Built-in iSight camera; mini-DVI output port with support for DVI, VGA, S-video, and composite video (requires adapters, sold separately)
Display 13.3-inch (diagonal) glossy TFT widescreen display, 1280 by 800 resolution
USB Two USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps)
Audio Built-in stereo speakers, built-in omnidirectional microphone, combined optical digital audio input/audio line in, combined optical digital audio output/audio line out
im going to use an external soundcard,i have a maya ex7 i havent tried it yet.or buy another if you can suggest me one.i usually conect my maya to an external mixer and work with that.if you have any suggestions of hardware that work fine with the mac there are relly welcome
mostly i will use my apple for proffesional use of virtual dj,and other music production programms like reason.i play at different clubs mostly to parties.i need the max quality possible and for sure no stucking scratching and other problems that i used to have with my toshiba tecra a7.i will try some video mixing if possible,never used it before.

Posted Sun 08 Jun 08 @ 7:38 am
Hi again Nikos.

U have a good recent generation of the macbook, so there no worry there.

I see that u want to use maya ex7? Hmm i searched abt that card,, n is it this one?

Features
Interface: USB Spec Ver1.1, USB Audio Class Spec Ver 1.0
Output Type: Analog 8 Channel Output (RCA Jack); Digital 2 Channel Output (mini optical TOS-LINK connector); Headphone Stereo Output (3.5 mm jack)
Sampling Rate: 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz
Resolution: 16 Bits
Power: USB Bus powered
WDM driver support for Windows 98SE, Windows 2000 and Windows XP (Note: Windows ME is not supported)

U can't use this for timecoded i afraid as and i think u can't use it for mac as it did not supported in mac osx. There no drivers for it as i see in several sites or i may be wrong.

In the moment u can have to have some cards that been also supported on mac but provided u need to set it up as the aggregate devices first. Example like numark djio or maya44 usb etc. On timecode, Herc mk2 is fine too n this based from my exprience and it is a mid range card but, the best is Numark virtual vinyl. This is a great sound interface n worked well from what i heard with VDJ mac.

U can take a look at skyfxl setting up 4/4 interfaces for timecode mac n followed its instruction.

It is also wise to spend sometime to read some of the post in the mac forum to understand more abt using mac vdj;)

Currently the aggregate thingy is not doing well for some card but this may be improved with the next version so hang on.

Regards.

Posted Sun 08 Jun 08 @ 9:27 am
Thats the card!well anyway it was in my plans to change that card i use it for some years.
so your suggestion is either to buy a new usb card like maya44. or a complete set to buy numark virtual vinyl,with numark total control and 2 virtual vinyls?you think with the second option i can use them wthout any problems.
thank you very very much for your help

Posted Sun 08 Jun 08 @ 9:53 am
Yes, i would recommend getting the numark virtual vinyl to use with the mac version if u going timecoded atm;)

If u wanna buy the numark total control, that only a bonus n use that for a controller. But with the herc mk2 or rmx etc will also do its job. Its ur choice.

Hopefully in the next version all the problem with the aggregate devices will be sorted.

Regards.

Posted Sun 08 Jun 08 @ 2:39 pm
HiTowerPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Nikos... If you don't plan to use the time code option, I've had success with the M-Audio Fast Track Pro and Native Instruments Audio 8 DJ interface. Like SpinnaJ said, when using a mixer, you have to set up these sound cards as an aggregate device.

Posted Sun 08 Jun 08 @ 10:36 pm
thank you very much,i have no idea what do you mean by setting up as aggregate device.but when the time comes i will ask you

Posted Mon 09 Jun 08 @ 2:29 am
so what sound card support MAC and are capable of being used as a time code solution?

Posted Mon 09 Jun 08 @ 9:38 am
TRIPLE STX wrote :
so what sound card support MAC and are capable of being used as a time code solution?

I see u use the numark box. If so there shouldn't be any problem with that interface to be use with the VV mac;)

Posted Mon 09 Jun 08 @ 2:05 pm
Actually the VV box has NEVER worked properly. I am one of those unfortunate users who has NOTHING good to say about it. That being said, I was wondering what other sound cards may be as a solution to the time code problems that I have been plagued with.

Posted Mon 09 Jun 08 @ 9:51 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)