Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Time for an upgrade i think...:o)

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hi guys, hope you are all well.

I reckon it's time for me to upgrade my system and get this fancy new 5.1 on board, but it's been so long since i built my existing system that i'm a bit out of touch with the components. So, if anyone is willing, can you please tell me what you think of this hardware that I'm thinking of buying, considering my motherboard. Please let me know if you agree or if you think that i'm onto a lost cause...and please of course suggest some better alternatives.

My current specs are:

CPU: Pentium D 915 2.8 GHZ, 800 mhz fsb, 2x2 mb L2 Cache Dual Core processor
Graphics: XPert Vision 7600gt with 256mb ddr3 onboard, Dual Link DVI & TV Out
Memory: 2GHz 800 mhz fsb
I use XP SP2...and generally all is well.

This is my motherboard

I use a DAC 3 controller. I will be looking soon to do more video work, both in karaoke and music videos. I'd like to be able to introduce clipbanks and messaging to my audiences. My current setup does all this already, but my software is somewhat dated compared to the new version, hence the potential upgrades.

If possible, I would like to keep my existing motherboard. Please advise as to each of my ideas below:

Proposed CPU or similar - please advise
Proposed Graphics or again, please advise suitable alternative
Proposed Memory

Please let me know what you think about each aspect and again any offers of suitable alternatives are appreciated!

Cheers...and keep spinnin'...(",)

P

Posted Fri 06 Jun 08 @ 8:56 am
Overall, it looks like you're putting together a killer system, but I would go with an ATI card as opposed to nVIDA.

Posted Fri 06 Jun 08 @ 1:18 pm
PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Thanks...but why ATI? And, on that, what is the equivalent of an Nvidia 8600gt in ATI terms?

I found this potential card...comments?

Oh yeah, and does it matter if it's DDR2 or DDR3 memory onboard? Would 1gb of DDR2 have the same functionality as 512mb of DDR3?

Anyone else have any other suggestions?

Cheers...(",)

P

Posted Mon 09 Jun 08 @ 9:36 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)