Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: VDJ 5.1 a downgrade for some??? [SOLVED]

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I don't want to be too much of a bummer here, ‘cause I’ve been loving the software for a couple years now, BUT…

I hesitantly upgraded to 5.1 the other day. I say hesitantly b/c most upgrades in the past have resulted in having to reconfig most of my settings to get everything working well again.

So I upgraded and and BOOM! Instant chaos! I first noticed that all my settings remained the same, all my files were where they were supposed to be, and all the cues and such were all still good. GREAT! Then I went to play a few tracks and got the worst sounding crackle on top of the tunes. I’ve been running V5.0.something? for about 6-8 months now, and it’s been mostly flawless. What has changed so much in V5.1 that makes my system go haywire, despite no changes in any settings?

I guess some background would help here…
I’m running:
Dell Inspiron Core2Duo @ 1.8Ghz (I think that's the speed)
2 GB RAM
Windows XP Pro
Hercules MK2 w/ TCV
ASIO4ALL drivers
Audio only, no video

So what’s changed so much? I played around with the performance settings and managed to get the crackles to go away for the most part, but I had to set my latency to the highest setting, which affected scratching negatively, and the waveforms at the top of the screen are kind of jittery at this setting. When I go back to the settings that worked in the previous version, the scratching and the waveforms are fine, but the sound is horribly glitchy and crackly.

As another test, I ran VDJ w/ no inputs, and usin my laptop soundcard instead of the Herc, and got a scratchy and poppy sound…

So, any advice? I looked around the forums and didn’t seem to notice too many issues with 5.1 and other users. Should I just go back a version for now? I really like some of the new features (and the new skin is great functionality wise, though I’m not too keen on the color scheme, but that’s not really important ;^) ), so please fellow VDJ’ers, point me in the right direction!

Posted Thu 05 Jun 08 @ 9:15 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hercules MK2 w/ TCV
ASIO4ALL drivers

Do not use the ASIO4All drivers. Download the appropriate drivers from Hercules -- http://ts.hercules.com

You need the 2008 drivers.

Posted Thu 05 Jun 08 @ 10:22 am
Cool!

I'll try that tonight.

I guess this means Hercules has stepped up their drivers finally! I'd given up even downloading the updates after my first few goes with them in '06. I'll cross my fingers...

Thanks for the help!

Posted Thu 05 Jun 08 @ 11:15 am
djpr1PRO InfinityMember since 2008
I guess i'm not the only one, the only difference is that i am using cdj's. I'm getting pops and cracks while scratching, more noticeble on slow scratches. It never happened on rev.7 and believe me i tried every possible setting. While music plays i'm good, actually it sounds better than before the only problem is while scratching.

@ cstoll i guess you have to be a long time or certain user of VDJ before you guys respond, i have a similar situation under the general forum but as always being ignore.

DJPR1

Posted Thu 05 Jun 08 @ 12:23 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
No, sometimes when you have the exact gear, you have a good answer to provide.

And attitude doesn't get a better or more quick response either.

Posted Thu 05 Jun 08 @ 12:29 pm
In addition to installing the latest Herc drivers, have a look at pp. 35 and 38 in the manual.

Make sure ultra-latency ASIO is checked, and use "fast" master tempo, and see if that works for you.

Posted Thu 05 Jun 08 @ 3:32 pm
Finally got around to installing the new drivers this weekend and everything works great again!

Thanks for the help!

Posted Mon 09 Jun 08 @ 9:49 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)