Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Midi mixer upgrade and RMX question

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

kotdbPRO InfinityMember since 2007
There are loads of threads like this so sorry if I repeating stuff. Have had a good look around but not quite got the answers I want.

So I am a current Hercules Mk2 user and have been considering upgrading this for some time. I don't think the soundcard is good enough for playing out (I do it all the time but it's not great) and I would like a mic input that works for radio shows, more touch sensitive jogs, bit more professional, robust etc. I'm not a scratch dj.

I have been considering the RMX, the Vestax vci 100 and vcm100. I see there is a new Vestax VCI-300 but that seems more for scratch/serrato.

Obviously the pros of the RMX is the inbuilt soundcard. But is it any good? Is it up to scratch with say a maya44?

If I went Vestax I would need to get an extra soundcard which I don't currently have plus there would be the hassle of setup in a club which I would prefer to eliminate as much as possible.

Add to all of this the fact that I have just gone and bought a pair of Technics 1210's for the first time!!!! ( they were cheap!) and I don't have a mixer so I would like the the RMX or Vestax or whatever I buy to act as my home mixer and my portable playing out kit. Just ordered some Timecode vinyl.

Anyway any advice or tips for my set up would be great.

Cheers.

Bob

Posted Tue 03 Jun 08 @ 4:20 pm
If you will be using TTs, you'll probably want the RMX because you won't need the touch-sensitive jogs, but might benefit from the other features and the integral soundcard makes it more portable than a MIDI mixer. Beware, however, I've read in the forums that some folks are having issues with USB power when running TTs or other external devices into the RMX's inputs. Unlike the DJ Console MK2, the RMX has no external power connection. If you were having power problems, you'd have to get a powered USB hub. Some are using the MK2 as the mixer / soundcard for their timecode setups.

Posted Tue 03 Jun 08 @ 11:23 pm
I wouldn't recomend the RMX for heavy scratching and juggling, neither with it's jogs or as a timecode sound card, the sound card is basicaly the same as MK2. It's ok for basic mixing but not so hot for scratch DJ's. I do use the RMX as a controler only on my timecode setup, but that's mainly so I can use the jogs for pitchbending my blends into alighnment with eachother (soundcard is delta 1010lt);^]

Posted Wed 04 Jun 08 @ 6:06 am
kotdbPRO InfinityMember since 2007
"If you will be using TTs, you'll probably want the RMX because you won't need the touch-sensitive jogs,"

I would quite like to have the touch sensitive jogs for mixing when I am not using time coded vinyl. Initially I'll just be using the TT's at home for practicing with the Time coded vinyl and maybe eventually be playing out occassionally just using normal vinyl.

For the most part though I would be playing out using a controller, soundcard, laptop and club/bar equipment (as an external mixer). So touch sensitive jogs would be good for me. I am not into scratching really but I would like to have the touch jogs anyway.

"some folks are having issues with USB power when running TTs or other external devices into the RMX's inputs. Unlike the DJ Console MK2, the RMX has no external power connection."

Hmmm good point.

"the sound card is basicaly the same as MK2."

Right well that pretty much seals it then...

Looks like it needs to be the Vestax with an extra soundcard then.

So can I use the Vestax vci-100 as a mixer for my TT's with TCV?

Posted Wed 04 Jun 08 @ 7:41 am
plan on buying a good sound card 4 that vci 100

Posted Wed 04 Jun 08 @ 4:58 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)