Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Mac

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

diasterPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Okay for an up to date posting, does Virtual Dj work with mac well, does it play from itunes list, music and music video's and does it work with xponent controller from m-audio, my main desire is to mix music videos at the club, all my music is in itunes and my extensive video library is itunes based as well, so getting the video from there is critical!!!!

any input would be greatly appreciated before i shell out 3 big ones lol

Posted Wed 28 May 08 @ 6:57 pm
diasterPRO InfinityMember since 2008
i should add I am using a macbook pro 17 2.16

Posted Wed 28 May 08 @ 6:58 pm
im using a macbook, i tried installing xp on here so i could use vdj but it didnt work out to well.. is there vdj specificaly for mac os? does anyone know.. and also is there any interface boxes for vdj and if so how is it? (like serato box)

Posted Wed 28 May 08 @ 11:12 pm
HiTowerPRO InfinityMember since 2007
In my experience, VDJ works well with Mac with one exception... time code. If you plan on using time code, it will not work unless you have the Virtual Vinyl box. If you want to use time code, I suggest you go with Virtual Vinyl. If you're not interested in time code, VDJ works well. I spin at clubs during the week, and do weddings on the weekend. One of my club accounts is a video show. I mix video using VDJ and a Behringer 3000 controller (which I do not recommend). It's a 4 hour show and I've never had a problem with VDJ at that event. Also, I've never had trouble when using VDJ at any other event. If time code ever gets fixed (waiting almost 7 months, now), VDJ will be the #1 "bang for you buck" DJ software on Mac. Once time code is fixed, I'll turn my 3000 controller into a door stop. As for the Xponent, I don't know anything about it. For me, VDJ imports my playlists from itunes without a problem. One thing to note, VDJ does not support DRM protected files downloaded from Apple Music Store. I don't use itunes for any video, so I'm not sure how that will work for you.

There is no trial version for Mac. Once you buy VDJ, you will have the option to download the Mac version in the Download center. VDJ doesn't come with a sound interface. Again, if you're not using time code, you can use pretty much any interface you want, with the exception of the Serato box. If you want to know why, people smarter than me will tell you, lol!

Posted Wed 28 May 08 @ 11:36 pm
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
HiTower wrote :
In my experience, VDJ works well with Mac with one exception... time code. If you plan on using time code, it will not work unless you have the Virtual Vinyl box. If you want to use time code, I suggest you go with Virtual Vinyl.

Yup, there no doubt it is good to go for virtual vinyl interface right now as it will werk well but sorry i have to say this, i did use timecodes TCV n TCCD on my gigs n i can say that on the current mac version, Herc mk2 will do its job n can be use for timecode even tho not as great as the numark box, but it will still werk well with proper setting:).

The others need to be set up as aggregate device n there are some problem with it but it should be sorted out in next version:)

Posted Thu 29 May 08 @ 12:19 am
Interesting spinnaJ... I didn't know time code worked with anything other than the VV box. This has me very interested. How difficult is it to set up? Will it work continuously for a 4 or 5 hour show?

Posted Fri 30 May 08 @ 2:53 am
Hi, Hitower..

It ain't that difficult to set up as it is natively supported in mac version too:). Choose the herc aggregate (it already done for you). Using smart in timecode config.

The important is the type of catridge used n how u ground ur tt ( i ground to my mixer of course not on the herc). The connection n cable also play an important role. It is also important to keep ur mac clean solely for using VDJ.

Yes i have done a 4-5hr show n the timescode work continuously but in some gig, it will stop control after 3 hr or so but then just pressing auto config it came back on. no problem with that. Maybe i was lucky :)

I would say that mac version did crash however using the herc if u accidentally spin the jogwheel during gig or under unknown circumstances.

And as i say yes definately using the VV box, it will werk great but still with herc mk2, u can use it ;)

Regards.

Posted Fri 30 May 08 @ 3:29 am
I appreciate the info Spinna... Have you (or anyone else) heard if time code works with the Hercules RMX?

Posted Fri 30 May 08 @ 2:43 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
HiTower wrote :
I appreciate the info Spinna... Have you (or anyone else) heard if time code works with the Hercules RMX?

Its the same deal with any card which is not the VV box it wont give perfect results until 5.1 is released unfortunately.

Posted Fri 30 May 08 @ 2:59 pm
skyfxl wrote :
HiTower wrote :

Its the same deal with any card which is not the VV box it wont give perfect results until 5.1 is released unfortunately.

Oh my god, I can't wait for that day. I'm going to call in sick & test it.

Posted Sat 31 May 08 @ 1:21 am
skyfxl wrote :
HiTower wrote :

As mentioned by sky, it could be better with the next version.. so hang on:)

Posted Sat 31 May 08 @ 4:08 pm
Thanks for all the input... I guess I'll just keep waiting.

I'm with Mantahoe... when the day of 5.1 comes, I will be a happy man. On a positive note, I used VDJ at a 5 hour Mitzvah tonight. First time in my DJ career I didn't load a CD or spin a record. When time code is here, VDJ will be the shiz-nit.

Posted Sun 01 Jun 08 @ 2:56 am
Actually I would have done thorough testing with the PC version but I don't have any windows machines available. The release is here, I will provide feedback as much as I can when the Mac version is upon us.

Posted Sun 01 Jun 08 @ 3:15 am
The mac version is solid but it has its quirks...

1. When loading a songs there is a good 2 to 3 second pause before the song loads. The whole program freezes. Although the sound continues to play, its kind of nerve-racking.

2. I have keystrokes assigned for many tasks, such as cntrl-f for searching and F2 for playing. After searching for a song, adding it to the playlist, dragging the song to the deck, the F2 key doesnt work, unless I first click somewhere on the the skin. Its as if the "set focus" of the program got lost somehow. Doesnt happen in XP.

3. There is something crazy going on in the search bar. It doesnt seem to be showing spaces properly. If I start typing a song and forget if I put a space, if I hit space again (now theres 2 but not showing). Its gets very confusing trying to find songs.

4. When switching from maximized screen to full screen, I lose my pitch slider triangle. Sometimes if I hit the "zero pitch" button it will come back, but sometimes not....especially on the left deck. The browser also wigs out sometimes and I have to click the browswer button to get it back.

5. You cant click the video preview to switch between the videos? I had to use the cross fader to go back and forth.

6. The auto cross length slider in the options settings doesnt save my setting and the songs are getting chopped off.

7. When playing a song, the virtual automatically adds every song I play to the database search as its own entry with the time it was played in the Artist field. And these songs are not loadable. I think it was called virtual track listing. Not a big deal but my search window is getting clogged up now.

8. The camera is missing from the effect drop-down on the mac version.

I must say however that the program never skipped, stuttered or gave me any "crowd noticeable" trouble. The machine and the program ran very well. Im running the latest iMac 3.06 24inch with the 512 video card and 4 gigs of ram and Virtual DJ Mac 5.0.8. I bought this machine because Im losing faith in Windows all together and did experience some hiccups with my old PC and virtual.

Although I did not use Bootcamp for the gigs and I cannot vouch for the solidity of running Virtual on my particular machine with Bootcamp for a whole gig, I did test all 8 of my findings with bootcamp XP which I listed above, and all 8 quirks do not show up in XP at all (Virtual DJ 5.0.7)

Posted Sun 01 Jun 08 @ 7:22 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)